65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

corriedewilde

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    The pre-64 version has to be the most overrated rifle in history.

Well then why is it the first choice for professional hunters, facing African Buffalo charges, after an Oberndorf Mauser k98.

It is the best copy of the k98 with an improved lock time. The controlled feed is rather important when the .375, .404, .416 cartridge HAS to come out fast every time.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    :rolleyes:
    Well.......this dude would prolly beg ta differ....if he was still breath'n,that is.......Carlos Hathcock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ya prolly ought'a scroll down ta "Weaponry", 'course.....whole article is worth the read........

:cool:

Well then why is it the first choice for professional hunters, facing African Buffalo charges, after an Oberndorf Mauser k98.

It is the best copy of the k98 with an improved lock time. The controlled feed is rather important when the .375, .404, .416 cartridge HAS to come out fast every time.

"Overrated" isn't the same as "sucks" or "doesn't work" or "is a piece of crap."

Show me anything that's overrated and I'll show you some respected people who think it's better than other things. That's the definition of overrated. First, people have to think highly of it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard badmouthing of the push feed Winchesters since '90. I build several model 70 push feed Match rifles for across the course use in National Match Competition. I traveled 5 states and shot better than 20 matches a year. I shot rapid fire events against semi auto AR's and M1a's. I would say the rapid fire events were a good test of the system. By the time you deduct the standing to sitting position time and the reload time, you are talking about 3-1/2 seconds per shot, ten shots in a row, twice or 4 times per match. In 8 years, I NEVER called an alibi because my rifle did not feed. EVERY match and almost every relay, someone with a semi auto or another brand of rifle called an alibi, so they could shoot again because of mechanical issues. My rifles were .308, and .260 REM, all .473 case heads. I never jammed up, never broke an extractor and never failed to get my rounds off due to the action. (I once broke a trigger spring but that was during a slow fire event) I also never replaced an extractor, and sold the rifles with the original extractor still in the bolt. My "A" gun wore out 5 barrels, and my "B" gun wore out 4 barrels, and my back up 100 yard rifle had the barrel completely shot out when I sold it. There are at least 5 members of this board that can vouch for the fact that my bolt guns always worked on the line. A slicked up model 70 is a very smooth machine and the bolt handle is already long enough and well shaped for rapid fire use. They are also VERY dependable. My PALMA rifle was a controlled round feed Model 70, which is really funny because PALMA is a single shot event and the bottom of the reciever had been converted to only be a single shot. (it never failed either)

corriedewilde

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    It isn't.

The opinions in the South African hunting magazine "Man Magnum" seem to differ from your opinion. The biggest problem is they are scare in SA, so many guys have rifles built on K98 actions.

The principle of an extractor that can not climb over the cartridge rim of a heavy caliber, count for a lot when a dangerous animal is storming down at you at 30 paces.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Thanks for keeping me up to date with what the magazines have to say on the matter.

When DG has stormed you down at 30 paces, did you experience problems with said extractor overclimb or were you running an M70?

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    The CRF model 70 actions are great out of the box rifles. They are also great platforms to upgrade. Congrats on your purchase.

Top Bottom