• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Thats a real shame, pretty girl too. However, I wouldnt fault her for not having "protection." Firearms are probably not part of her lifestyle. I bet you have a better chance of a falling tree limb hitting your head in the woods than being attacked by coyotes. Im not going to wear a helmet ever time I step into the woods just in case.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    That is really sad. It also makes me feel a lot better about building a 'yote gun.

Some people have asked me how necessary it is to be armed in parks and while hiking. I think this serves as a tragic reminder of how important it is to be able to protect yourself. And how important it is for hunters to aid in conservation through thinning the herd of some of these animals.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ironic thing, is that this weekend my family and another were out camping this weekend in Coyote land. One of our crew ended up face to face with one when she opened her tent at 3am for a bathroom break. They had asked me to bring a "coyote tool" and I had it with me, but I was not the one to see it at 5 feet.

They made plenty of noise though:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNXA6LMlQOs]YouTube - DSCN1655[/ame]

I feel bad for this young woman, and she and her family have my prayers. But I also used it as an example for my wife as to why I do bring my "coyote tool" with us when we camp and why I carry other "vermin tools" on a daily basis!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've been camping in Hoosier National Forest and heard the yotes at night. It's a nice sound to hear inside my travel trailer, bit a little more spooky outside! :eek:

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't need to go camping, the coyotes come through my neighborhood every so often. I do feel bad for her and her family. Coyotes aren't cute and cuddly, and this is a reminder. :ar15:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    She probably wouldn't have carried a weapon if allowed to, but anyone of us would have. Yet by obeying anti-gun law, (and we are law abiders here) we bare our throats to whatever may be out there. Therefore, if an anti-gun law prohibits me from carrying a firearm while hiking, then I don't need to be hiking in that area.

Anti-gun laws kill.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    tech, those are the "Sweet" coyote sounds :) ...when they start shrieking like some tortured children...that still gives me goosebumps

I was trying to get one of those! Those really are creepy as hell. Nature makes some sounds that exist to remind us that we are on the top of the food chain.... temporarily.

I will do an AAR about the night as it was a great proof of my gear (read - FAIL) and one of the things I want is a spotlight or night vision for the AR. You cannot hit what you cannot see. And if you can see it by firelight, it is way, way too close.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I was trying to get one of those! Those really are creepy as hell. Nature makes some sounds that exist to remind us that we are on the top of the food chain.... temporarily.

I will do an AAR about the night as it was a great proof of my gear (read - FAIL) and one of the things I want is a spotlight or night vision for the AR. You cannot hit what you cannot see. And if you can see it by firelight, it is way, way too close.
    in camp by fire, a compact shotgun with nordic clamp and TLR1 on it (870, 18" barrel Knoxx folder) and it is still a fantasy you will hit it unless it stops AND you need to be sure you do not have tunnel vision in the dark and pop a tent in the process. Swing and follow through on a fast moving target in camp after dark is very very dangerous. To some degree it should dictate how you set up camp and where you park your vehicles if car camping.

Shooting a coyote who knows you are there and is in your camp by choice is a lot different from night hunting and calling the predator to you.

In the tent, handgun on a white paper towel or rag. No long gun. Ever read about the couple killed in their tent by a Grizzly? They had a 12 gauge in the tent. Never got off a single shot. Bear grabs tent, it becomes giant version of shake and bake. Try to operate a long gun while inside a giant sack collapsed around you.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Canadian gun laws make it difficult to defend yourself. Even pepper spray is forbidden.

Well, at least back in Fall of 2007, bear spray was totally legal. In fact, if you had an EPA registered (and the Canadian counterpart) spray, and it was listed on the canister as bear spray, you could take it across the border.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    what are the legalities of shooting a coyote while on state and or federal park grounds? i would hope that it is OK to shoot one in defense at anytime of the year.

edit: looks like most think its OK, as they are not protected. there is question whether it needs to be reported or not though and the legalities of firearm discharge in either the state or fed grounds.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Several friends and I go whitewater rafting every year in TN. We camp out in the Cherokee National Forest. Near where we camp is a nice waterfall about 1 1/2 miles from the campsite thru the forest. On one trip we were headed down to the waterfall and somebody noticed the .45 in my waist and scolded me because "guns aren't allowed in a national forest". I then told her about the woman and child that were killed by a bear just a few feet off the very trail we were walking. The attack occured just 6 weeks prior to our previous trip. Since then she always checks with me to make sure I have my "bear insurance". I hope I never need it because a .45 may only make it mad.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Shooting a coyote who knows you are there and is in your camp by choice is a lot different from night hunting and calling the predator to you.

In the tent, handgun on a white paper towel or rag. No long gun. Ever read about the couple killed in their tent by a Grizzly?

Yep, yep and yep.

Here is what I had:

An AR M4gery with ammo at the fire, then boxed up and in the tent with me. Add to that a Glock on my hip with a retention holster. I slept with it on my hip and had it ready when I opened the tent to go and pee myself.

Also, I had all the tents side by side and facing the same direction: downhill and towards a berm. Had I opened the tent and needed to fire, then I would be able to know the backstop and know all sleepers were behind my 180. I would still need to look and be sure that no one was out of their tent.

BTW: I did not explain any of it to my family or the other family. I just did it.

But, of course, it was not me that opened the tent to see a coyote at 5 feet.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This story does not surprise me, over the years coyotes have become much bolder predators.

Top Bottom