• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    This story does not surprise me, over the years coyotes have become much bolder predators.

They certainly have...

wile-e-coyote-fireworks.jpg

We used to go "coyote fishing" in the 4WD-only part of South Padre Island as a kid. In the early evening we'd take a dead mullet (the bait fish, not the bad hairstyle :D ), wrap fishing line around it several times, go out and throw the fish in the dunes and let the fishing line trail out behind us as we walked back to camp. We then tied the other end of the line to one end of a log/board and put the other end of the board in the fire. Sure enough, at some point later in the evening the board would get jerked out of the fire and we would be right behind it racing for the dunes. The coyote would usually only sprint about 20-40 yards with his meal before stopping to eat, at which time we would grab the non-glowing end of the board and have a game of coyote tug-of-war!! Good times, but being bullet-proof Jr. high kids, we weren't too concerned about Wile E. and his homies having us for dinner. However, we were smart enough to not go too deeply into the dunes into Wile E.'s 'hood to retrieve the board.

rjhans53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    It's a shame, but when the sheep go out at night without their watch dogs or shepards (law inforcement in most cases) it's bound to happen. We as a people are loosing our role as top preditor. A lot of folks believe in bambi land and that all animals will play nice if given a chance, they just don't understand (or don't want to).

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    A few years ago when my father and I and our friend were deer hunting, we'd come in for lunch and he told me that while he was assembling his climbing tree stand, he heard something behind him and shined his light around, and saw 7 or 8 pairs of eyes around him, one was close enough to see it was a coyote. This was in bow season, and before it was legal in Indiana to carry a handgun for self-defense during hunting season. Where we hunt they seem to go in cycles, a couple years you hear them in the morning and evening non-stop, then for a couple years you don't hear or see them at all, up and down cycle...
    He said he'd never gotten a stand together and up a tree so fast!

Top Bottom