• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How can any LEO defend this..........................................
    really you are going too try to defend this unlawful attack on this home owners property...........

Don't try to twist the story to make it in the officers favor the facts are the animal was secured period....... there was no reason to use deadly force ........were was his pepper spray ? the officer suffered no injury's from the animal............ how can a chained animal make a well trained officer in fear of his life and to top it all off he was at the wrong address thats not the home owner fault ...... and the call he was on wasn't a life threating 911 dispatch......

with your media type twist of this i can do the same ........the officer was at the wrong house giving a guy 5 more minutes to kill his wife at the correct address, is that a wise idea....

Your post is full of holes...

ie
    -a secured animal, can be one in a fence surrounding a home and be a threat to those that enter the vacinity. Can a chained animal not do the same.
    -pepper spray, not all officers carry it (I don't)
    -unlawful attack on property? (prove intent) ie would the officer had gone to the home and shot the animal if not doing police business
    -Not a life threatening 911 call? Then perhaps domestics should be downgraded in line with calls similar to lockouts (get to them when you can)
    -My media type twist? You're taking all your facts from the "liberal media," right? And we know how often they tell the FULL story.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd reserve judgment, too, before we know the whole story. This forum complains a lot about media bias. Well, what about media incompleteness? That's what media is all about: the reporters can't ever hope to get the whole story as it breaks, so he/she can only report on as many pieces of the jigsaw puzzle as possible, trying to making a coherent larger picture from these fragments. Sometimes the news story can be seriously misleading.

No, I'm not advocating excusing law enforcement officers no matter what they do. I just think the jury is still out, and it doesn't do us any good to jump to conclusions. That just ends up reenforcing your worldview. For some, it seems something like: the cops are out to get us!!! Maybe the whole story behind this incident would challenge such a view. Maybe not. I hope the case will be carefully, fairly reviewed by the authorities.

I found the free ASPCA online course useful (see earlier in the thread for a link). Among some cases I read about were those in which the police used excessive force and killed animals. There were also cases in which the police failed to use force to subdue animals. As a consequence of such errors in judgment, people died.

I'm not either, at the very least the family should be compensated, and apology issued. This isn't some case of an officer wanting to kill a dog for the "fun" of it. The reason that I'm posting a defense, is because I could very well seem myself in the exact same situation.
    I've gone on alarm calls, where as I'm checking around a house, a chained dog (that I was unaware of), comes flyin' from round and I makes me beat feet fast. I've to calls where I was dispatched to the wrong home, due to poor information relay. I've been to domestics where thing are fairly calm, and where things have "popped off" real fast. You never know. Thank goodness I have never been placed in that type of situation, as one doesn't know how they will respond until confronted with it.

I can tell you this though, if I'm one my way to a "good" DV call and with the knowledge I have at the time, I believe I am at the correct address, I'm not going let a dog hinder my effort to quickly ensure the safety of those inside. The "media" would have a field day with "Woman Killed as Officers Tame Family Dog."

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    @ Kutnupe14 let me ask you this are this statements in this thread your professional opinion as a officer ...or your personal opinion.......:popcorn:

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm curious as to what they were responding to, ala what did the wife and husband call 911 on each other about for the police officer to be on the side of the house and not just pull up in the driveway or out front.

Is it common to go into a house from the side for a domestic disturbance?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    you know i'm not a cop, but i have watched cops, and that show about the police and alaska a few times. seems like on a domestic call they always just go to the front door? seems that this cop was not where he should have been period

jake

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm curious as to what they were responding to, ala what did the wife and husband call 911 on each other about for the police officer to be on the side of the house and not just pull up in the driveway or out front.

you know i'm not a cop, but i have watched cops, and that show about the police and alaska a few times. seems like on a domestic call they always just go to the front door? seems that this cop was not where he should have been period

jake

Yea I've seen it on Cops as well as in person in my old apartment complex and they were never sneaky about it. I figured that a known presence would help diffuse the situation.

That's where my confusion with it all is, just wondering what they were responding to.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

I asked a trick question sorry :whistle:.......... old habits die hard .... ;)

yes there is a difference between a officer personal opinion......

and officer giving professional opinion under the image of his or her duty's and department and IA policy's ....... is something all together different..

not saying this is the case......... but let say this officer worked in the same department as long as there a open investigation from IA he not able to give any opinion unless authorized by the department or the IA close's the investgation........

am thankful for the officers personal opinion .......strongly disagree with it and its image it gives ..........

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Things to consider before passing judgement. Was the wrong address dispatched, where the officer responded to (this happens a lot). Though the dog was chained, did it have enough "chain" to reach the doorway (sure looks like it)? Is the "beware of dog" sign supposed to be a joke? Tragic but heck, let's hear how this plays out first.

I've responed to domestics at the incorrect home. Sometimes, I admit, because I didn't look at my computer properly, and sometimes because the dispatch center gets it wrong. If the latter is such, and there's a dog that presents itself as a threat, then I am charged with making the decision as to which is more important, making sure the people in the house are safe, or dealing with a dog so that I don't have to put it down. Given how quickly domestics escalate, I'm not too sure trying to determine if a dog is "friendly," and giving a guy 5 more minutes to kill his wife, is a wise idea.
    if someone is not smart enough to see a dog on a chain and go around it instead of shooting it should they be carrying a weapon?

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I can see the event unfold...

1. Dog barks and goes crazy as stranger approaches home.
    2. Officers needs to approach home and find occupants safe.
    3. Dog prevents #2
    4. Officer uses force to complete mission.
    5. Dog-less family file suit against city.
    6. Officer takes psychological profile testing.
    7. World is a safer place...?

BTW - If my dog keeps farting, I might have to report him to the EPA.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    How is firing a gun in the front yard supposed to help diffuse a situation?

No matter what is going on inside, if you fire a gun just outside my house, we're both going to greet whoever is in the front yard with guns drawn. And if you've just shot my dog, I can only assume that you're in the process of attacking my house.

Poor judgement. I don't care how you want to spin it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

That something that they specifically teach NOT to do. The last thing you want to do is give someone a head up that you are coming during a possibly volatile situation. There are tons of instances of old school officers pulling up front to a house, or walking directly to the door, and end up meeting with a few bullets heading their way.

Nowadays, we park a house or two down, and walk across yards to the sides of the home, making your way to the door.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    if someone is not smart enough to see a dog on a chain and go around it instead of shooting it should they be carrying a weapon?

How is it known that a chained dog was evident upon the initial encounter? It looked like the dog was chained inside the garage. What time of day did this occur? If it was night does that make a difference? Have you never been surprised by a chained dog? Well, if not, your skills of observation are far superior to mine.

(Kut doesn't know anybody that has never had a "whoa" moment, and been startled by a dog)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    That something that they specifically teach NOT to do. The last thing you want to do is give someone a head up that you are coming during a possibly volatile situation. There are tons of instances of old school officers pulling up front to a house, or walking directly to the door, and end up meeting with a few bullets heading their way.

Nowadays, we park a house or two down, and walk across yards to the sides of the home, making your way to the door.

:+1:

Not only is it safer, but you get a chance to listen/look at what is happening inside before they're aware of your presence. But I guess if somebody saw it on "Cops" then who am I to argue?

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville

Thank you for clarification. I've seen it done (in Carmel too, Mohawk Hills apartments) but didn't know if this was common or what. I'm trying to reserve judgement until I learn more about the whole situation.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    How is it known that a chained dog was evident upon the initial encounter? It looked like the dog was chained inside the garage. What time of day did this occur? If it was night does that make a difference? Have you never been surprised by a chained dog? Well, if not, your skills of observation are far superior to mine.

(Kut doesn't know anybody that has never had a "whoa" moment, and been startled by a dog)

I fail to see why you keep trying to (spin) defend this action this officer took.
    yes there can be very good reasons were the officer needs to shoot a dog loose or chained in the scope of his duty's ......this isn't it ......... there will be ramification to this officer after the investigation is complete.......

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    :):

6a00d8341bf67c53ef01539176b7dc970b-800wi

More imported Manning fans, I see...

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Things to consider before passing judgement. Was the wrong address dispatched, where the officer responded to (this happens a lot). Though the dog was chained, did it have enough "chain" to reach the doorway (sure looks like it)? Is the "beware of dog" sign supposed to be a joke? Tragic but heck, let's hear how this plays out first.

I've responed to domestics at the incorrect home. Sometimes, I admit, because I didn't look at my computer properly, and sometimes because the dispatch center gets it wrong. If the latter is such, and there's a dog that presents itself as a threat, then I am charged with making the decision as to which is more important, making sure the people in the house are safe, or dealing with a dog so that I don't have to put it down. Given how quickly domestics escalate, I'm not too sure trying to determine if a dog is "friendly," and giving a guy 5 more minutes to kill his wife, is a wise idea.

Sorry, dog was chained; garage is never only entry point to a house unless it's on fire...any excuse he gives is BS.

Edit: Okay...I watched the video...that's a long chain...the dog could obviously defend the front door...which is probably what he was doing.

Nice neighborhood, I'll bet they can afford lawyers...

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009

he might have been startled by the dog but remember the 21 foot rule? the chain was 25 feet and dogs are much faster than people. is it sop to walk around with your weapon out in a residential area on a dv call? otherwise by the time he got startled and yelled eek a dog he would have seen the dog was at the end of his chain before he cleared leather.

Top Bottom