• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    This map is disgusting. Thanks for sharing the link.

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

I simply can't imagine what it is you find disgusting. So there's an occasional mistake. How come there's no map of all the times they put on military gear, kicked in doors in the middle of the night to relieve residents of drugs not approved by the government, and got it right?

Besides, they're just doing their jobs. That clears them of any moral responsibility they might have for what they are doing. If they have to shoot the dog, well, that's SOP, so you see, it's okay. And if the address was wrong, well, mistakes happen. After all, you make mistakes in your job, right? You misfiled a document, they kicked in the wrong door and handcuffed people. Simple mistakes.

All I can say is that I'm glad some of these things didn't happen in Iraq or Afghanistan. Heads would roll.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    This map is disgusting. Thanks for sharing the link.

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

as they say.."chit happens":dunno:
    what I find as bit odd is I picked 3 random "deaths of innocents" and read them..all 3 said something about an officer tripping which caused them to discharge their weapon killing the suspect..one of em tripped..fell into another officer which made that officer discharge his weapon 3 times,shooting the suspect in the head.:dunno:

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    here is the link from a cop website and as usual they seem to think the cops did good. this is the mindset of cops anymore unhttp://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146024

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    here is the link from a cop website and as usual they seem to think the cops did good. this is the mindset of cops anymore unhttp://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146024

Here's what I've learned from reading that thread:

If the police have to come to your door, it's your fault and it's OK if they shoot your dog, regardless of whether they find anything or not.

If you like to smoke a little weed (I don't, and don't have a lot of use for people that do, but that's another thread) you deserve to have your dogs killed and family harrassed.

Police can execute any warrant in any way they choose.

SWAT is always the best option.

People should shut up and never criticize the police, although it's OK to criticize the president, expecially if you're an LEO.

That's why I'm not an LEO anymore.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Here's what I've learned from reading that thread:

If the police have to come to your door, it's your fault and it's OK if they shoot your dog, regardless of whether they find anything or not.

If you like to smoke a little weed (I don't, and don't have a lot of use for people that do, but that's another thread) you deserve to have your dogs killed and family harrassed.

Police can execute any warrant in any way they choose.

SWAT is always the best option.

People should shut up and never criticize the police, although it's OK to criticize the president, expecially if you're an LEO.

That's why I'm not an LEO anymore.

Yeah, that's what I learned too.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    SWAT teams... Waste of my money...

LEO's should be just that LOE...
    If you need to act like a Soldier to be an LEO, you should probably do a self check of the situation to see what is messed up about that. If you can't find the problem then you should probably not be in Law Enforcement...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Radley Balko at the Agitator has a bit of an update on this mess. Seems the police chief hates all the attention his SWAT team has garnered. And he really hates the internet. He's going to hate it even more in the years to come, since people are going to be keeping a close watch on his enforcers. The sad thing is that he just doesn't get it and has decided to "make changes" that aren't changes. As if that will placate people. The best change he could make would be to retire his SWAT team and stop running paramilitary assaults against people.

via The Agitator

Columbia, Missouri Police Chief Ken Burton is apparently frustrated. At another press conference yesterday, a reporter asked the chief what he has learned from the international attention generated by the YouTube video of his department’s SWAT team conducting a drug raid last February.
    His reply: “I hate the Internet.”
    I’ll bet he does. For two-and-a-half months, Burton and his department were quiet about the raid. That’s likely because, as I wrote yesterday, the raid was really no different from the tens of thousands of similar raids conducted every year, and that are probably conducted by his own department a couple of times per week. Within days of the video hitting the web, Burton was forced to hold several press conferences, and has now laid out several reforms to the way SWAT raids will be conducted in Columbia in the future. I suppose it’s possible those reforms were brewing all along, and the timing of him announcing them after the video went viral was mere coincidence. It seems at least plausible, though, that the dread “Internet” sparked some actual policy changes, here.
    Unfortunately the changes—while small steps in the right direction—still miss the point. Burton says his department will no longer conduct SWAT raids at night. They won’t conduct raids in homes where children are present. Suspects will be under constant surveillance until the raid is carried out. And raids will be conducted within a shorter period of time from when police get the initial tip about a suspected drug dealer. But the Columbia Police Department will still conduct volatile, violent, highly aggressive forced-entry raids on people suspected of consensual, nonviolent drug crimes. That is what’s wrong with the YouTube video. Changing the time of day of the raid doesn’t change the wildly disproportionate use of force.
    Burton and his department have also criticized web commentary on the video, citing both death threats aimed at members of the SWAT team and an abundance of what Burton calls “misinformation” about the raid.
    He’s right. I saw both. In particular, the description that accompanied the YouTube video (which today topped 1 million views) described the pit bull the police killed as crated when it was shot. It wasn’t. (I should disclose that I passed on this bit of incorrect information to several people while discussing the raid before discovering it was incorrect, though I didn’t put it in print). And death threats, even from keyboard commandos posting on Internet discussion boards, are inexcusable.
    That said, Burton is deflecting. When the video first went viral, his department’s spokesperson acknowledged that the police didn’t know a seven-year-old boy was in the home, but explained that the department has to carry out drug raids quickly before dealers can move their supply. That was, as Burton would put it, “misinformation.” You might even call it a lie. At the very least, it was another example of a police spokesperson reflexively defending the department before knowing all the facts. Eight days passed between the time the police were tipped off to the alleged marijuana stash and the time they conducted the raid.
    More at the source.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I read Balko's take this morning as well. I think the lieing coming out the Police Department is very disturbing and not just the problem of a few bad apples.

There was an 8 day gap between the informants tip and the home invasion.

When concerned citizens inquired as to what went down they were told it was a training excercise and that no shots were fired.

When pushed for a copy of the tapes, they deleted the audio and the incriminating portions of the video.

These types of scenarios are playing way to frequently.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Radley Balko has a couple of updates related to this travesty. One from a military perspective that I particularly liked and one from someone that attended a Columbia, MO civilian oversight meeting. Both good reads on a subject that is not going away anytime soon.

More Militarised Than The Military

I am a US Army officer, currently serving in Afghanistan. My first thought on reading this story is this: Most American police SWAT teams probably have fewer restrictions on conducting forced entry raids than do US forces in Afghanistan.
    For our troops over here to conduct any kind of forced entry, day or night, they have to meet one of two conditions: have a bad guy (or guys) inside actively shooting at them; or obtain permission from a 2-star general, who must be convinced by available intelligence (evidence) that the person or persons they’re after is present at the location, and that it’s too dangerous to try less coercive methods. The general can be pretty tough to convince, too. (I’m a staff liason, and one of my jobs is to present these briefings to obtain the required permission.)
    Generally, our troops, including the special ops guys, use what we call “cordon and knock”: they set up a perimeter around the target location to keep people from moving in or out,and then announce their presence and give the target an opportunity to surrender. In the majority of cases, even if the perimeter is established at night, the call out or knock on the gate doesn’t happen until after the sun comes up.
    Oh, and all of the bad guys we’re going after are closely tied to killing and maiming people.
    What might be amazing to American cops is that the vast majority of our targets surrender when called out.
    I don’t have a clear picture of the resources available to most police departments, but even so, I don’t see any reason why they can’t use similar methods.
    I’ve heard similar accounts from other members of the military. A couple of years ago after I’d given a speech on this issue, a retired military officer and former instructor at West Point specifically asked me to stop using the term “militarization,” because he thought comparing SWAT teams to the military reflected poorly on the military.
    More at the source

Report From the Meeting of Columbia’s Police Civilian Review Board

Regular commenter “CTD” writes:
    Last night I attended the monthly meeting of the Columbia Police Civilian Review Board. (The board itself is in its infancy, just having started up in January. The cops fought it’s formation every step of the way, of course.) The meeting had to be moved to the city council chamber because so many people showed up. Even then, it was standing room only. Not a single citizen who spoke attempted to defend the police. Not one. Several told similar stories about being victimized in raids, or having dogs killed. The local Libertarian Party chapter president spoke and quoted from Overkill, FYI. They quality of the citizen comments was surprisingly good, overall. Nobody made any point you haven’t a million times, but it was heartening to see so many agreeing that these paramilitary tactics are far too dangerous to be used for non-violent suspects. Thanks so much for getting the word out on this, we really appreciate it.
    This was really my fondest hope for Overkill—that when one of these raids happens, citizens and policymakers would consult the paper. The idea for the SWAT transparency bill in Maryland came from Overkill. Maybe this episode will spur Missouri legislators to pass something similar.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, as expected the Columbia PD has completed their "investigation" and found that their enforcers acted in accordance with PD policy and are "innocent" of any wrong doing. Despite the video footage showing otherwise. This is par for the course in the incidents, as we have seen all too often.

via The Columbia Tribune

The actions of an eight-member SWAT team that conducted a Feb. 11 narcotics raid have been deemed appropriate in an internal review, Columbia Police Chief Ken Burton said.
    The chief yesterday afternoon released the findings of his monthslong internal investigation into the raid that resulted in the shooting of two dogs, one fatally, and the discovery of a misdemeanor amount of marijuana. A video of the raid has been viewed more than 1 million times online.
    Investigators believed Jonathan E. Whitworth, 25, of 1501 Kinloch Court was in possession of a large amount of marijuana. Burton mentioned during his statement that officers found a safe and duffel bags that smelled strongly of marijuana, supporting the belief that Whitworth might have had more drugs at the residence earlier.
    “The actions of the officers who made entry into the residence were evaluated based upon Columbia Police Department policy, applicable state laws and the information they had available to them at the time,” Burton said. “These are the only criteria by which the actions of these officers can be evaluated fairly.”
    The investigation answered the questions of whether SWAT members acted according to procedure and whether their actions put the officers, suspect or his family at an unnecessary risk, he said. The answers to both questions is yes, he said, which is why no disciplinary action has been ordered against SWAT members or narcotics investigators but several policy changes have been made to SWAT.
    “To answer Question 2, should we do things differently in the future so this doesn’t happen again? Yes,” he said.
    More at the source.

One has to wonder. If they acted appropriately, then why would changes need to be made in the way they act in the future?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Did anyone really expect the cops to condemn their own? An entity should not be able to investigate it's self in matters such as this.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Well, I would say they didn't violate any policies that were in place. With the number of dog shootings going through the roof the past several years, you have to believe that it has become standard operating procedure for some agencies to immediately dispatch any animals in the residence (just as it is in Iraq) upon entering.

Here are a couple more puppycides from this weekend.

From the comments: Readers respond to dog-shooting by Saginaw Township police | - MLive.com

Daily Herald | Family upset after dog killed by Des Plaines officer

Maybe I am wrong about this, but growing up I never heard of so many dogs being shot. Perhaps it is because I didn't have cable news or the internet. But, it seems like enforcers used to be able to do their job without so much collateral damage.

It must also be standard operating procedure to ignore the fact that childeren are in a home that is set for invasion. The enforcers knew (after getting caugth in a lie) that a child was present. So a conclusion can be drawn that children present isn't enough to halt an invasion.

So yeah, according to thier policies they didn't break any rules.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    IIRC one dog was caged and the other dog was a small Corgy. Dog killings are up as are commando type raids with military weapons and cops wearing hoods/mask.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Well, as expected the Columbia PD has completed their "investigation" and found that their enforcers acted in accordance with PD policy and are "innocent" of any wrong doing. Despite the video footage showing otherwise. This is par for the course in the incidents, as we have seen all too often.

via The Columbia Tribune

More at the source.

One has to wonder. If they acted appropriately, then why would changes need to be made in the way they act in the future?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
    We're finally on our own.
    This summer I hear the drumming,
    Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
    Soldiers are cutting us down
    Should have been done long ago.
    What if you knew her
    And found her dead on the ground
    How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
    Soldiers are cutting us down
    Should have been done long ago.
    What if you knew her
    And found her dead on the ground
    How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
    We're finally on our own.
    This summer I hear the drumming,
    Four dead in Ohio.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    If you shoot a dog, two things happen. First there's a big boom. Second, unless you kill the dog straight away, it wails like nothing you've ever heard. And it's loud. Real loud. Most likely both things happen simultaneously.

So as I thought about the lab shot in the first story you posted, coupled with the theories above, I came to a puzzling conclusion. Shooting a dog outside gives up your tactical advantage of suprise. It alerts someone not only to the fact that you are there, but gives them an idea where you are. If you know anything about tactics why would you give away your position? If you don't understand tactics what are you doing there?

I had two GSDs that wouldn't bark. Guard dogs can and are often trained not to bark. The cop said he rattled the fence and nothing happened. What would he have done if the dog had barked? Called off the op? Not entered the property? Yeah whatever. What if rather than 1 10 year old lab he encountered 5 highly trained rotts? If these guys are really so undertrained that they think that rattling the fence qualifies as solid recon what are they doing out there?

How about this. Have animal control knock on the neighbor's house behind them. Show them a badge, tell them about complaints about a barking dog. Ask which neighbors have a dog, what kind, and when / how often are they outside. Oh yeah, it's not quite as much fun as shooting something.

Seriously!

Well, I would say they didn't violate any policies that were in place. With the number of dog shootings going through the roof the past several years, you have to believe that it has become standard operating procedure for some agencies to immediately dispatch any animals in the residence (just as it is in Iraq) upon entering.

Here are a couple more puppycides from this weekend.

From the comments: Readers respond to dog-shooting by Saginaw Township police | - MLive.com

Daily Herald | Family upset after dog killed by Des Plaines officer

Maybe I am wrong about this, but growing up I never heard of so many dogs being shot. Perhaps it is because I didn't have cable news or the internet. But, it seems like enforcers used to be able to do their job without so much collateral damage.

It must also be standard operating procedure to ignore the fact that childeren are in a home that is set for invasion. The enforcers knew (after getting caugth in a lie) that a child was present. So a conclusion can be drawn that children present isn't enough to halt an invasion.

So yeah, according to thier policies they didn't break any rules.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Update: Case Dismissed; Police acted "properly"

Subjects of Missouri Drug Raid That Went Viral Have Their Civil Suit Dismissed
    [The judge] found few, if any, facts to support many of the allegations in the complaint. She also found cause for tactics used by officers to conduct the raid, force used against Jonathan Whitworth during his arrest and the actions toward the wife and son to be proper.... The lawsuit was seeking restitution for damages to personal property and medical and veterinary expenses. It was filed in September 2010 against the 12 police officers who were at the raid for their contribution toward an alleged violation of the plaintiffs’ constitutional rights.

Top Bottom