• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Great squad today, including a couple shooters I hadn't shot with before. Some very impressive shooting! Wish I could have done more of that! Thanks to the WVPPS crew for putting on this bonus match! At least 60 people appreciate the extra effort!

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I liked the distance. There are very few clubs in this region with big bays. Very cool to shoot 30 yard targets.

Trigger control becomes important at that distance. Bullseye shooters shoot groups at 50 Yards. Has the USPSA crowd become lackadaisical with the fundamentals?

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Fun match and stages. Great squad with lots of help.
    This humid crap just sucks the life out of you.
    Thanks WVPPS crew for a fun match and stepping up when ACC had a conflict and couldn't have their match.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I liked the distance. There are very few clubs in this region with big bays. Very cool to shoot 30 yard targets.

Trigger control becomes important at that distance. Bullseye shooters shoot groups at 50 Yards. Has the USPSA crowd become lackadaisical with the fundamentals?

USPSA scoring system is out of balance favoring speed and that is where the emphasis is for USPSA shooters. I think some did not develop proper fundamentals. Look at the scores of the classifier and the distance and look at penalties. We don't take the practical part of the name very serious at all. How many major matches do not require any SHO and WHO? Both very practical but not fun for most people. Sort of like having and new division with carry in the title but limiting the magazine capacity.

We don't have to have extreme distance or a ton of it but we need some. Same with one handed shooting, prone, and so forth. We want to pretend and refer to USPSA as if it were major league baseball, but in fact it is closer to fat old man's softball.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hmmm, if pepper poppers were used for the occasional long shot would that cut back on scoring time & r.o./scorekeeper effort ?

Just a thought. Likely some good reason not to or rule against it.

PITA for set up also perhaps.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shooting poppers at 50 yards is fun. And not only is it easier to score, the shooter has no doubt about whether or not they hit the target well enough to score.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Isn't that what they call calling one's shots?

There's still plenty of room for doubt even if you're really good at calling your shots (which I am not). Steel standing or steel not standing is (barring equipment failure) unequivocal. I think most club-level shooter would appreciate that kind of feedback, even if they do try to call their shots.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    minor power factor at 50 yards on poppers can cause lots of calibration calls

Indeed. If you set them up so a minor hit takes down a popper at 50 yards, the wind from a major round passing close by will knock them over...

Joe did not consider that aspect.

Maybe it was less windy 20 years ago and I don't think anyone knew about asking for calibrations at the club level. Heh.

Top Bottom