• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • $mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    It's been stated by Sony (or at least one of the head guys working on the PS4). Random link: PS4: Cerny and Ito talk about Backward Compatibility and x86 Architecture - The Gamers DropThe Gamers Drop

Good info. Thank you.

This makes me sad, but I understand the reasoning. It's good that they're dropping the cell processor. I'm not sure if I'll be an early adopter, but I'll still get one. Depends on finishing out some of my existing games.

The main reason I have a PS3 is for the NCAA football franchise and Gran Turismo, so I can probably wait till the next installment of those come out.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    The main reason I have a PS3 is for the NCAA football franchise and Gran Turismo, so I can probably wait till the next installment of those come out.

Your in luck. The new Gran Turismo will be out this year and released on PS3 instead of PS4.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If Microsoft (or rather game designers as they've passed the blame) doesn't get rid of the whole no sharing games/used games, I'm not buying.

I rarely buy new releases, usually buy a used copy or buy after price drops. Then I give the games to friends/family when I'm done.

I get it, reselling used games reduces profits and their policy would help smaller games and designers, but I'm not shelling out $60+/game if I can't even use it on another console.

It makes sense, just sucks for the consumer. Computer software has been this way for years, so it may just be where the industry is moving.

I started getting into console gaming instead of PC partially because of this. I liked to take a game with to a friends house to play, and liked saving money on used titles.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I agree with those sentiments. I often give games to my older brother and get games from my younger brother when he's bored w em (none of us live in the same state). If we don't get that extra value from it, then it's a tougher buy.

A coworker of mine has 2 xboxs as both her and her husband are gamers. This new system means that they can't share games in the same house. That just sounds ridiculous.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    PS4 Update: No online authentication. Will play Used Games!

That's a good move by Sony. May be a big hit against Microsoft.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    PS4 Update: No online authentication. Will play Used Games!

That's a good move by Sony. May be a big hit against Microsoft.

Agreed, but I think the playstation plus requirement to play online games is bogus...but I guess we werent gonna get away with it forever.

varadatt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Castleton
    Agreed, but I think the playstation plus requirement to play online games is bogus...but I guess we werent gonna get away with it forever.

It's been a long time coming to have to pay for online on Sony's servers which are expensive. With any luck this will mean support for older games the way Xbox has had. Sony ( or the publisher) always seem to close a server way before Xbox.
    I have had PS+ and Xbox live since I can remember and they both have their merits. You do get some good games for "free" on PS+.

My :twocents:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm sold. A shame there isn't backwards compatibility, but this is a lot better than the new xbox. I do wonder sometimes if I shouldn't just go to PC gaming.

Did any else see the press release at E3 for the xbox one? They are charging $499 in the US and 499 Euros in the EU. 499 Euros is over $600 USD. Guess they just decided they hated Europe or something.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I think the Xbox will play used games also, but i heard a rumor (havent confirmed) that there will be an extra fee to play the used games?

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I think the Xbox will play used games also, but i heard a rumor (havent confirmed) that there will be an extra fee to play the used games?

Xbox will allow you to share games as long as the person you are sharing with has been on your list for 30 days... and a game can only be traded once. Hopefully that will end up not being true.... There is a 10 person family sharing thing, but they didnt state how they could do that... either you can add 10 friends that you can constantly trade with... Or they go by IP address and you can share games with other accounts on that IP address. Who knows..... Either way... PS4 all the way for me....

Also, paying for PS+ to play online isnt that bad considering its the same cost as xbox live.... will work on all PS systems (so my ps3, vita, and soon to be PS4 are covered under my plus account). On top of that you get free games.... since signing up for PS+ i have about 40 games downloaded on my ps3 that were free (had to add a 1TB HD so i would never have to uninstall a game or movie again) and another 6 or 7 fun games on the vita. Games like Resident Evil 5, Uncharted (for the vita), Killzone 3, both infamous games, etc.... so really good games.... so no matter what, you get more than what your paying for if you wanted to ever play these games. Plus, early access to betas, 60 minute trials of full games, a few other discounts and other free things.

Plus Metal Gear Solid 5, both Ground Zeroes (prequel to 5) and Phantom Pain...(quit complaining about the cut-scenes... you can skip them now!!!! lol)

Plus I do not recall Sony being on the list for Operation Prism and having a mic and camera always on. (Sony still could be a part of it, just not listed as of right now).

Sadly, Im not a fan boy, i planned on getting both, but not now.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have been an xbox boy my entire life, but after this week the PS4 seems like the winner to me. I will probably continue to use my PC for my games, but I may get the PS4 if some of my friends get it as well.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am a HARDCORE xbox fanboy and I am seriously considering a ps4. I might be able to live with the controller after all...

I really don't rent games, but the always on thing bugs me. It'd be a royal pain to unplug my xbox whenever I was not playing for security reasons...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm not a big gamer anymore, but I've had both xboxes and have been 100% behind them instead of the playstations. After seeing what they are doing, there is no way in hell I'm getting one ever. Looks like my console days are over.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the R&D room after Sony dropped the bomb on them.

419140_577679832282281_1849932062_n.jpg

If PS had a better controller I'd think about getting one, but the xbox controller is just sooooooo much better.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If you have a new TV (1080p 120+hz) and don't have a blu ray player then you are doing your eyes a disservice.
    BluRay did to DVD what DVD did to VHS. IMO anyway.

In any case, I'm getting sick of the crap and restrictions and general B.S. associated with this stuff.

As to the XBOX One. I'm not a crazy gamer anymore but I do have a 360.

All this new scheming from microsoft on the One is the same thing they are trying to do with Windows 8 and instead of selling things they are making it all subscription based.

In doing so they are opening up the market for other contenders. For example I now use Lotus software for my all my business needs from word processing to spread sheets. It sucks learning new software but microsoft just enable their competitors and alienated a customer.

Interestingly enough, they will drive more people into piracy with this virtual "renting" scheme they have going on. I see this as yet another step on microsofts path to mediocrity if not flat out destruction.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    BluRay did to DVD what DVD did to VHS. IMO anyway.

I'd say it's a relatively close comparison, but DVD DESTROYED the VHS. I've had a BR player for awhile now and still watch my DVDs. When I got a DVD player my VHSs went into a box and were never watched again. I don't think I know anyone who still even owns a VHS(player).

Top Bottom