XDS - light primer strike issue endemic? or just bad reloads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Just a quick "anyone else" moment here. Saturday went through 50 rounds of a local range's reloads plus some of my carry load (Hornady Critical Duty) through my 45 XDS. Had no issues, joy to shoot.

Yesterday, had light primer strikes out the proverbial wazoo. After two or three hits on the same primer, the loads in question would fire. Happened that way through the whole box yesterday.

To try to put myself at ease, loaded up a couple more (I know, not enough to tell!) mags of my carry load, and ran through them without issue.

New gun, cleaned (though I didn't tear down the slide and clean the striker channel, didn't figure I needed to do anything but remove the packing/assembly lube on the slide and frame pieces) before firing any rounds on Friday night.

Any other XDS 45 owners out there to tell me which way to go? Just get some factory ammo to run and practice with instead of possible reload issues, or should I go further? I've seen some posts online about light primer strikes in first-run units, but my test-fire date is from 6/5/13!

As always, thanks in advance, INGOers!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    My first XDS was a light strike king, for me anyway. I sent it back to Springfield, they said it was me. Finally sold it (yes, full disclosure of my issues).

As I loved how easy it was to conceal, and was actually fun to shoot, when it worked, I impulsively purchased another last week.

Stripped, cleaned, and lubed per manual, took it out. First few mags, no issues, the remaining ~135 rounds, had about 5 light primer strikes.

My observations:
    Never did it on first round from mag, as this round is loaded during slide release, I'm starting to believe it is me, and not the firearm.

Never did it 2x in a row (round, then next round), again, maybe me.

Never did it during double tap drills, or rapid fire, again, maybe me.

Current Status: Cleaned, lubed again, cleaned out striker channel (very, very little in there), and currently cycling the slide ~100 times a day. No, not letting it slam shut, just manually moving it there and back again.

Will give it another go in a couple weeks, where I'll be with cousin that has much more experience than I, and if it light strikes on me, I'll have him shoot a few mags. At least then I'll know for sure, me or the firearm.

Hopefully I can work it out, awesome shooter/easy to carry, but maybe just not for me.

Was shooting only Blazer Brass during trip.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've never had a problem with my XDs...so if it's a universal problem, maybe I have just been lucky.

I figure the reason we start thinking there's a huge problem is that so many times the only people who post are the ones with problems - so few post when everything's fine - so we see a skewed view of what's really happening.

I'd have to figure (in my oh-so-perfect mind :rolleyes:) that any teething pains would be well-sorted out by now (what with my production date being so fresh).

But, since you never know, and I trust the input of my fellow INGOers...

Anyone else that can chime in, folks?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Was reading the MAC blog (full-auto) and saw a reference that he made about his reloads intended for his 1911 being too long OAL for the XDs which caused him issues with failure to fire. My thinking is that this might explain the issue I've experienced? Thoughts?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was reading the MAC blog (full-auto) and saw a reference that he made about his reloads intended for his 1911 being too long OAL for the XDs which caused him issues with failure to fire. My thinking is that this might explain the issue I've experienced? Thoughts?

If the reloads are too long and the ogive is engaging the rifling it can cause your problem... If this is what is happening, you would see the slide not in full battery though....

Another way to check is remove the barrel and drop one of the questionable rounds in and make sure the back end sits flush or just below the hood...

The (2) incidences above would be if the loaded round was too long (OAL)... If the CASE itself were too short, it can also cause light strikes since it head spaces on the case mouth and would be too deep in your chamber for your striker...

Another very common reason for light strikes on reloads is the primer isn't fully seated... If in fact all is fine with factory ammo and the reloads do fire after the initial strike, this would be my first guess... What happens is the primer not being seated will more forward on the first strike... With it moving forward, it doesn't take the full strike... Multiple attempts will eventually seat the primer where it will eventually detonate...

Last edited:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Yep, they always fired after the second (sometimes third!) attempt. First failures were what looked to be light - but other first-fires always looked good from the brass I've collected.

I'm at this point pointing to the reloads. Got another box of factory today to confirm...

If the reloads are too long and the ogive is engaging the rifling it can cause your problem... If this is what is happening, you would see the slide not in full battery though....

Another way to check is remove the barrel and drop one of the questionable rounds in and make sure the back end sits flush or just below the hood...

Another very common reason for light strikes on reloads is the primer isn't fully seated... If in fact all is fine with factory ammo and the reloads do fire after the initial strike, this would be my first guess... What happens is the primer not being seated will more forward on the first strike... With it moving forward, it doesn't take the full strike... Multiple attempts will eventually seat the primer where it will eventually detonate...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What primers are you using? Some are notoriously harder than others. Sellier and Bellot are pretty hard for example.

Didn't think of that ! I would look into all things related to the particular reloads in question before considering it being the XDS itself...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Didn't load them myself - bought at local range, and yes, I'm questioning the quality overall....
    :dunno:

Chezuki had a good point.... With the current shortage, who knows what primers they used and how hard they might be...

Being they are reloads from someone else, I'd still check them to make sure the OAL isn't too long though... It only takes a few seconds to drop em in your chamber and verify they are seated to the proper depth...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am having similiar issues with a Kahr CW 45. I have been loading and shooting 230grain hard cast round nose for my 1911 and the last trip to the range the Kahr had a handful of light primer strikes. Never had a single issue with my 1911 at all so it looks like the Kahr will also get sold if I cant figure it out. I should be past or at the 200 round break in they recomend. I will take it apart and check the channel out and make sure everything is nice clean and lubed and try again.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    My friend had same exact problem and I did too with his at the range. He sent to Springfield and same BS they cleaned and sent back. He took back to range and same problem and listed on arms list and sold it. I have a xds 45 and have had no problems and my dad owns one too with no issues. I actually got the xds9 today bc I like my 45 so much. Do a net search and your def not alone

Top Bottom