XDS - light primer strike issue endemic? or just bad reloads?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tater22LR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Columbus Area
    Reloads with the ogive jamming into the barrels can cause pressure spikes and is potentially a disastrous issue. Always check reloads in your barrel before you shoot them. Also, know what pressure signs to look for when shooting reloads. At the very least.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Take the barrel out of the pistol and drop the suspect rounds into the chamber. If they go in too deep or not deep enough, there is your problem. With the ammo being hard to find, there is LOTS of marginal reloads on the market. A Wilson or other quality ammo gauge is a good thing to use also.

At the range, we ran 10's of thousands of rounds of S&B ammo through rental guns, and much of the pistols were XDS models. Never a problem, even though the primers are hard. Of course those rounds were manufactured within spec.

Last edited:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Haven't done anything yet with the remaining reloads, but I'm going to check the OAL using the described method.

I've since fired another 100 rounds or so through it, all factory, with ZERO hiccups. Really feel these reloads are the issue.

Take the barrel out of the pistol and drop the suspect rounds into the chamber. If they go in too deep or not deep enough, there is your problem. With the ammo being hard to find, there is LOTS of marginal reloads on the market. A Wilson or other quality ammo gauge is a good thing to use also.

At the range, we ran 10's of thousands of rounds of S&B ammo through rental guns, and much of the pistols were XDS models. Never a problem, even though the primers are hard. Of course those rounds were manufactured within spec.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A very common cause for "light strikes" is the primers not being seated fully. The energy of the firing pin seats the primer, then the second time (or third) they go bang.

Check your primers on your ammo, they should be below flush, ~0.005" below flush. If they are flush or high, there's your problem.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Yep, figure I've either got primers that aren't seated properly or too much OAL, even thought it was possible that the crimp wasn't done properly and is allowing bullets to unseat during recoil.

Or, it could be the trifecta!

A very common cause for "light strikes" is the primers not being seated fully. The energy of the firing pin seats the primer, then the second time (or third) they go bang.

Check your primers on your ammo, they should be below flush, ~0.005" below flush. If they are flush or high, there's your problem.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I went through over 500 rounds in a class recently and the only problems I had were with my reloads. They would get stuck in the chamber. Store bought I never had a problem. We figured the brass might of been to old on some of them. I love my Xds 9 mm.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Bought a xds 45 last week and after shooting one mag through it the first round of the next mag had a light primer strike. But every round after that ran fine (all factory ammo of sorted brands) Took the gun home and cleaned it again, but this time took the firing pin out and low and behold it was filled with all the factory crud. Thinking this was my problem, took it out the next day and had no issues with it. Still cant trust it to carry it though since I had the one hiccup. It'll have to prove itself to me over the course of a few hundred more rounds.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Downrange in mine, 6 different brands of FMJ (2 steel) and 1 mag of critical defense for around 250 total shots fired. I did not have one light primer strike, failure to eject, etc. and I am very pleased with this little pistol.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Interesting. I just took out my striker, and while I didn't find the channel accumulated with crud, I did feel that the striker seems to have more resistance to movement through the channel than I think it should - judging from my past glocks, M&P's, etc. While I can't say it's heavy resistance by any means, am I right in my feeling that it ought to just glide through the channel, glass smooth (when not fighting the spring tension, of course)?

Took the gun home and cleaned it again, but this time took the firing pin out and low and behold it was filled with all the factory crud.

Top Bottom