You get only one bolt gun- which caliber do you pick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    QUICK Q, does anyone have a picture of small game, shot with [ light load ] by the ever popular .308 or .270 round. Just wonder if my, or any other peoples round caliber wouldn't change.:dunno:

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I always get a chuckle out of threads that are almost akin to asking "you can choose only one 'do it all' drill bit, what would it be?" The answer depends on a number of factors including what size hole you want to drill, what material you are drilling, how deep you want to drill, do you want a through hole or not, etc, etc, etc. Similar factors apply to gun calibers and I suggest there is no such thing as one "do it all" caliber which is why so many different calibers exist in the first place. The reality of "one size fits all" often ends up being "one size fits none".

There are plenty of answers to the OP's question. If yours is, "I would stand there scratching my head and then walk away with no rifle at all, because there's no one bolt gun that is best at everything," that's fine. Most people wouldn't avoid choosing a gun at all, just because it won't satisfy every need. It's a valid question. There's just no purist approach to this one.

Me, when I think bolt action, I think little need for fast follow-up shots. When I think of little need for fast follow-up shots, I think something with a decent punch and good mid- to long-range performance. Then, as with most guns, I consider cost and flexibility of the ammo.

I would choose .308.

Top Bottom