• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've had discussions with the mayor before and it's like talking to a slice of Swiss cheese. He sticks to the talking points his handlers told him to study and he doesn't listen to anything else.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    $30M for the privilege of "hey look at me".
    $3M to bring public safety closer to the level it should be at.

The ledger for the Super Bowl is pretty straight forward, though it gets manipulated to an extent. Is there a similar ledger for police spending? What will the $3M do to crime rates?

People act stupid over football, no doubt. But the police saying the police need more money needs to be accompanied by some additional justification.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    how many jailers did MCSO have before the merger? State law does not allow for Marion County to hire jailers post merger. For the record, I'm not a 6pt'er

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    how many jailers did MCSO have before the merger? State law does not allow for Marion County to hire jailers post merger. For the record, I'm not a 6pt'er

I'd like to see that law. My understanding is that MCSD is not allowed to hire merit deputies post merger. This is what is required of the Sheriff's office post merger:

(d) Notwithstanding any other law, an ordinance adopted under this section must provide that the county sheriff's department shall be responsible for all the following for the consolidated city and the
    county under the direction and control of the sheriff:
    (1) County jail operations and facilities.
    (2) Emergency communications.
    (3) Security for buildings and property owned by:
    (A) the consolidated city;
    (B) the county; or
    (C) both the consolidated city and county.
    (4) Service of civil process and collection of taxes under tax warrants.
    (5) Sex and violent offender registration.

None of these require merit police officers, it would require the hiring of jailers.

More info here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title36/ar3/ch1.pdf

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Even better. On Both counts.

Are they even sworn law enforcement officers or are the just "deputized" by the sheriff?
    They are all Special Deputies...meaning they are not Sworn/Merit. Indiana law allows a Sheriff to appoint anyone as Special Deputy and only require 30hrs of training, although Marion County gives them 16 weeks...most of which they will never need and matters 0% when applying to a police department. They had an 8 point star and different uniform to differentiate them from Merits. Once we merged then given over to the Mayor, Anderson had the Specials wearing the Merit uniform and stopped calling them "special", they are now just "deputy". The department wants them to be something that they are not. When I was a Merit Deputy, I saw plenty of Specials get in trouble/fired for making traffic stops. Now they are told they NEED to make stops. The Sheriff is trying to stay relevant. You know they have their own "SWAT" team for warrant service. Ill equipped and trained (with special deputies) and a duplicate to our better equipped and highly trained SWAT team. But the Sheriff wants the public to notice his department so this monstrosity is the result.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I'd like to see that law. My understanding is that MCSD is not allowed to hire merit deputies post merger. This is what is required of the Sheriff's office post merger:

(d) Notwithstanding any other law, an ordinance adopted under this section must provide that the county sheriff's department shall be responsible for all the following for the consolidated city and the
    county under the direction and control of the sheriff:
    (1) County jail operations and facilities.
    (2) Emergency communications.
    (3) Security for buildings and property owned by:
    (A) the consolidated city;
    (B) the county; or
    (C) both the consolidated city and county.
    (4) Service of civil process and collection of taxes under tax warrants.
    (5) Sex and violent offender registration.

None of these require merit police officers, it would require the hiring of jailers.

More info here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title36/ar3/ch1.pdf

see that's the twist, all those deputies are "special deputies",

IC 36-8-10-10.6
    Special deputies with powers of law enforcement officer; appointment; qualifications; duties

Indiana Code 36-8-10

(f) The sheriff, for the purpose of guarding prisoners in the county jail:
    (1) in counties not having a consolidated city, may appoint special deputies to serve as county jail guards; and
    (2) in counties having a consolidated city, shall appoint only special deputies to serve as county jail guards.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I misunderstood what you were saying. What the Sheriff cannot have are merit deputies, a special deputy can be a jailer. We called them CO's per merger.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

IC 36-8-10-10.6
    Special deputies with powers of law enforcement officer; appointment; qualifications; duties

Indiana Code 36-8-10

(1) in counties not having a consolidated city, may appoint special deputies to serve as county jail guards; and
    (2) in counties having a consolidated city, shall appoint only special deputies to serve as county jail guards.

Right, MCSD can only hire Specials and for heaven sakes don't call a MCSD jailer a "CO" (corrections officer), they get really butthurt over that even though that is what they do.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They are all Special Deputies...meaning they are not Sworn/Merit. Indiana law allows a Sheriff to appoint anyone as Special Deputy and only require 30hrs of training, although Marion County gives them 16 weeks...most of which they will never need and matters 0% when applying to a police department. They had an 8 point star and different uniform to differentiate them from Merits. Once we merged then given over to the Mayor, Anderson had the Specials wearing the Merit uniform and stopped calling them "special", they are now just "deputy". The department wants them to be something that they are not. When I was a Merit Deputy, I saw plenty of Specials get in trouble/fired for making traffic stops. Now they are told they NEED to make stops. The Sheriff is trying to stay relevant. You know they have their own "SWAT" team for warrant service. Ill equipped and trained (with special deputies) and a duplicate to our better equipped and highly trained SWAT team. But the Sheriff wants the public to notice his department so this monstrosity is the result.
    Thanks for the information! The swat team info is SCARY!! For us citizens and also for them being not properly trained. Dangerous. The sheriff is playing with fire.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Don't post this question on FB...the blowback would be heavy...or...do it. It would be fun to watch.

If they would realize that most of them are overtrained overpaid jail gards the job would probably work a lot better for them. Instead they have people whispering in their ear they should run around acting like Joe flippin Friday. All they are doing is setting them up for failure. No merit protection, no thanks.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

IC 36-8-10-10.6

Indiana Code 36-8-10

im no lawyer (that's a self compliment :) ). But to this simple guy it looks like the sheriff is violating the law and any special deputy acting in any capacity other tha jail services is operating outside of the law? I don't see how its legal for them to pull people over. Sounds like the state needs to get involved!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    im no lawyer (that's a self compliment :) ). But to this simple guy it looks like the sheriff is violating the law and any special deputy acting in any capacity other tha jail services is operating outside of the law? I don't see how its legal for them to pull people over. Sounds like the state needs to get involved!

Specials have full police powers,

The sheriff may appoint as a special deputy any person who is employed by a governmental entity as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-144 or private employer, the nature of which employment necessitates that the person have the powers of a law enforcement officer. During the term of the special deputy's appointment and while the special deputy is fulfilling the specific responsibilities for which the appointment is made, a special deputy has the powers, privileges, and duties of a county police officer

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The link isn't working for me. Says the page is not found. Someone have a cached version or a TL;DR summary so I can fully understand the posts?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    for heaven sakes don't call a MCSD jailer a "CO" (corrections officer), they get really butthurt over that even though that is what they do.

Funny, I didn't use either of those terms last time I was in Alabama Street.

The third time the officious prick held my DL up to my face at check in I called him everything BUT a "CO", although there was a c-word.:D

Top Bottom