• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Remember, the Zionsville Town Council meeting is Monday, August 5 at 7:00 p.m. at Zionsville Town Hall. The proposed ordinance will not be voted on, but there may be public comments on the issue.

Guy

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There is a front page article in the Zionsville Times Sentinel newspaper re: this issue. The council members, Suarez, Papa, and Haak are quoted as saying they think the issue should first be reviewed by the Safety Board. What puzzles me is why a proposed ordinance was drafted in the first place (?). The council is asserting the Safety Board should make a recommendation for the council to consider. Woulldn't a proposed ordinance be drafted thereafter ? I admit to not fully understanding the ordinance process. On the surface it might appear the council thought they might just be able to slip this on to the agenda, vote on it without much if any public input, and be done with it.

I think they may have gotten surprised by the mounting public opinion against this initiative.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is a front page article in the Zionsville Times Sentinel newspaper re: this issue. The council members, Suarez, Papa, and Haak are quoted as saying they think the issue should first be reviewed by the Safety Board. What puzzles me is why a proposed ordinance was drafted in the first place (?). The council is asserting the Safety Board should make a recommendation for the council to consider. Woulldn't a proposed ordinance be drafted thereafter ? I admit to not fully understanding the ordinance process. On the surface it might appear the council thought they might just be able to slip this on to the agenda, vote on it without much if any public input, and be done with it.

I think they may have gotten surprised by the mounting public opinion against this initiative.

I am sure you have heard at some point that if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls**t. That would appear to be what is happening here. In the end, the council and the Safety Board will be pointing their fingers at each other in blame after the ordinance passes and they are confronted with angry constituents, but the damage will have been done, unless of course those concerned residents manage to shut this down early and it never passes the point of being a wet dream for the trophy moms whose husbands definitely didn't marry them for their brains.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    cbrooke,

I live in the Zville rural district down on 96th Street that this pre-maturely drafted ordinance would affect.
    I'm sorry that all your neighbors couldn't be gun lovers and I'd love to swing by sometime when you're shooting.
    Outside from just hoping the town council is pro gun and are sick and tired of Ms. Sanford's complaining I think we need the pro gun side represented.
    I think it would be a very strong gesture if you yourself could speak at the next town hall meeting with a good following of shooters to show support.
    A well dressed, nicely groomed gentleman delivering a well thought out statement of fact could go a long way.
    I'm sure Guy Relford and others who are well versed at persuasive factual statements would be willing to help draft something for you to read at the town council meeting.

I just wanted to show support and offer whatever advice I could come up with since I am unable to attend on Monday 8/5/13.
    I will be out of town for work but I will make the 26th meeting and hope that I am not too late.
    Good Luck. Rural District Zionsville gun enthusiasts are behind you hoping the council sides with you and not Ms. Sanford.

In Support,
    Wesley929

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    After reading IndyDave's comments, let me offer some additional thoughts regarding the referral of this ordinance/topic to the Public Safety Board.

1. If this is worthy of having the PSB review the circumstances, why was an ordinance drawn up already? It should have gone there to begin with! Someone is not telling the truth (I'm shocked, shocked, do you hear?), and I suspect that the council was assuming that this would be passed quickly and quietly with minimal awareness on the part of the public.

2. One way or another, someone had to suggest this ordinance, and to ask it to be drawn up. Who made that request? This pointed question needs to be asked, and if they refuse to do so, then we need to publicly state that we will then assume that ALL of them were responsible.

3. Jeff Papa is backpedaling in correspondence with residents, stating that the ordinance that we have read is only a draft, and it has been revised. If so, where is the revision? A public records request needs to be made regarding that revision. Also, Papa is an attorney by training. I cannot believe that he would not have noticed that the language of the original ordinance would have made it a violation to discharge a firearm in self defense, among other flaws.

4. Attending the Council meeting on August 5 is a good idea. Remember that this council is rather good at using procedure to marginalize public input, and we certainly CANNOT expect the local paper to accurately report what is going on. So, the more negative commentary on the proposed restrictions at the next meeting, the better. That being said, there have been several instances where the council received uniformly negative feedback at a public meeting on some proposed ordinance, and voted to pass it anyhow, sometimes unanimously. Unfortunately, Indiana law does permit the recall of public officials, and the existing council will be serving until 2015, sadly.

5. I suggest that an ad be taken out in the local paper to point out how bad this ordinance could be.

6. Boone and Hamilton Counties are so Republican that some Democrats will actually run as Republicans just to have some chance at election. Due to this, don't assume that some officeholder in either county with an R after their name is truly Republican, let alone conservative. I think that we're seeing some of that now.

FWIW,

J Galt

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I took the pool, No, the second reason.

I hoe you guys stop this one cold and make the soccer mom understand we'd like her to move to Illinois.

DennisTheMenace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    I voted. But I'm not really getting what they are going after by asking the two "yes" questions the way they are.

The first "yes" question concerns whether you think it is a matter of gun safety where someone is going to get hurt if guns are allowed to be used in the rural districk.

The second "yes" question concerns whether you think all the noise form gunfire is not aesthetically pleasing to the sensitivities of rural residents who want peace and quiet so that their meds may work better ;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The first "yes" question concerns whether you think it is a matter of gun safety where someone is going to get hurt if guns are allowed to be used in the rural districk.

The second "yes" question concerns whether you think all the noise form gunfire is not aesthetically pleasing to the sensitivities of rural residents who want peace and quiet so that their meds may work better ;)

Wow! I think my internet is busted. I didn't get all that from what I read :D

DennisTheMenace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Crack in the dam. I think we should see recent events as positive not negative.

Chris

So, a little birdy told me that Carla complained about being in a war zone on Sunday (yesterday). And, you had three other people over there! She using binoculars? It's funny as we had weekend guests and were on our deck almost all morning yesterday and we were in the yard for the afternoon and didn't hear a single shot. Couldn't have been the wind as it was a pretty calm day. Weird.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'll be at the Zionsville Town Board meeting tonight - if anyone wants to say hello. (I'm the 6'4" bald guy.)

I hope we have a lot of INGO members and Second Amendment advocates there!

Guy

Top Bottom