• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As you may have read here before, I hate gloves, but find them to be a necessary evil. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/62190-shooting_gloves.html#post679313

I am very picky about gloves because I have stubby fingers and I can't stand the loss of dexterity that they bring. However, they can make those cold afternoon shooting sessions bearable, or protect your hands from the heat off a rifle barrel.

While perusing a local Dick's Sporting Goods a few weeks ago, I came across a pair of cold weather gloves from Under Armour. The first thing that jumped out at me was that they were extremely thin. I mean like "2 layers of pantyhose" thin. I suppose its essentially an Under Amour shirt for your hands.

I balked at the $29.99 price tag, as I thought it was ridiculous to pay that much for such little material.

But, I did like that they were all black, had a subdued gray UA logo, and the entire palm and fingers had "sticky" rubberized grip in a honeycomb pattern.

I went ahead and tried them on. Wow! While they didn't offer any significant padding, they were very snug and form fitting without being uncomfortable or cutting off my circulation. They were very stretchy and fit my stubby fingers perfectly, without any bulky seams at the sides or tips to get in the way.

For a quick 'in-store' test, I attempted to retrieve some change out of my front jeans pocket with the glove on. No problem, even with the rubberized grip.

I put them down and did some more browsing. I almost left the store without them, due to the price, but my wife told me to reconsider, especially with the colder months coming; so I bit the bullet and bought them, figuring I'd give them a try and report my findings here.

n6uet2.jpg

2rw6jw4.jpg

30l2a8h.jpg

b71kpy.jpg

2evg7rn.jpg

iee1bs.jpg

When configuring a new range bag from LAPG ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/114882-review_lapg_bail_out_bag.html ), I found that I these gloves were so thin that they could fold up into a very tiny pocket.

DSC01383.jpg

Yesterday was my first chance to actually use them shooting.

With the Hatch gloves that I've used in the past, I had to cut off the tip of the trigger finger to allow me to feel the trigger-- the gloves were thick enough that I lost some dexterity, especially in my fingertips. With these new UA gloves, I won't have to modify them, as they are thin enough that I can feel the trigger just fine.

While it wasn't snowing out, it was chilly yesterday with a constant cold breeze. The gloves did a nice job of keeping my fingers from getting cold, although they didn't exactly "warm them up" like fleece- or wool-lined gloves would (but those are bulky).

IMG_1318.jpg

Due to their lack of bulk, I almost forgot I had gloves on. I left them on the entire time, even while reloading magazines and adjusting optics.

Now, here's the part that really blew my mind-- their ability to not only keep heat in, but to also keep it out.

Part of yesterday's range trip involved dumping 150 rounds of 5.56 through an M16 with a 10.5" barrel. I knew that the barrel would be getting HOT. I started by grabbing the front rail, thinking that if it started to get too hot to hold, I would transition my grip to the vertical foregrip.

IMG_1343.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSjw22nheA"]YouTube - M16 150rd mag dump[/ame]

Although I could feel the front rail heating up, it never got past feeling "warm", and certainly no where near "hot". In fact, if you notice at the end of the video, my hand is still on the rail even after I'm done firing.

lovemywoods asked me "Did it get hot?" I said "Nope, it actually wasn't as hot as I thought". Then he reached out and touched the rail with his bare hands. "Yeah that's hot!" he said. I took my glove off and touched it and he was right! I couldn't believe how much difference there was with the glove, as its very, very thin! I was also surprised that the rubberized grippy palm was still intact, and didn't show any signs of melting.

So I think I've now found my favorite year-round shooting gloves. :yesway:

The $30 price tag doesn't seem so bad anymore, considering that these gloves appear to do everything that my picky self was looking for in a glove.

I tried finding these exact same gloves online so I could post a link. Unfortunately I couldn't find them anywhere. The closest thing I could find would be these, but I can't be sure how similar they really are: Under Armour stretch Glove - Brands

:ingo:

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    IGW bought a set of camo UA gloves for archery season, he really likes, and they didn't change his zero at all with his Bowtech, unlike the three other style gloves he tried. Interesting thing is that he uses a release. So a big plus for UA for creating a product that is form fitting and keeps your hands warm.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice review really like the idea of being able to use this gloves for things like reloading, where as with the big bulky gloves you would have to take one off. I like UA alot but the price is usually more than I want to spend unless I can catch a sale.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks for the review! I was looking for a pair of colder weather shooting gloves and I think these might fit the bill. I wasn't sure how the sticky rubber on the palms would hold up on UA gloves, so I'm excited to hear from you that they were fine.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I have a pair of the leather tactical gloves and have used them all year and they work great also. I looked into getting a pair of the cold weather gloves, I guess I should now.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wish I could find an online source for them. I hate to tell you guys "check out your local Dick's Sporting Goods", but that's the best I can do at this point.

And thanks for the review rep guys. :ingo:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    See the last line in the review.

They are not the exact ones, but may be close. Just how close, I'm not sure.

Can you look to see what the UA number is on the gloves tag or on the packaging? I can look them up that way through my distributor.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for the review. I was in the gas station and thought about picking up a pair of gloves I saw. I figured I would head over to a gun store, but these look good. Cwood, let me know if you order these, because I am interested.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Can you look to see what the UA number is on the gloves tag or on the packaging? I can look them up that way through my distributor.

My stupid rear tossed the cardboard backer. :xmad:

I did find this out from the inside tag, however:
    Back: 95% Polyester, 5% Elastane
    Palm & Cuff: 94% Polyester, 6% Elastane
    Exclusive of gel coating on palm

:dunno:

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Thank you for the review. I have been looking for new gloves for the upcoming winter. The ones that I currently own are thick and I can't comfortably place my trigger finger on my XD40.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have a pair of these somewhere, I got them last year. Working on telco wire is a b***h in the winter.

Top Bottom