• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Unfortunate story with a fortunate ending. Thankfully the off-duty cop was there to end this before it became much worse. Hopefully this may shine some positive light on the guy's business and he can promote the benefit of weapons training for the common man.

Off-duty cop hailed as hero for stopping Minn. mall stabbing suspect

Off-duty cop hailed as hero for stopping Minn. mall stabbing suspect
    Im glad alls well that ended well, but I personally, think his tactics sucked, as far as the article you linked described. Yes, he prevailed, and is a hero, but if he teaches the same thing he displayed via this article. His tactics SUCK! He identified, shot, but then quit? Then he shot again, and quit? Only after he was near being overcome, or falling as he retreated, (based on the article)did he end the encounter! Again, his tactics sucked! Hopefully his students realize this, and don't try to emulate him! Shoot until the threat is neutralized, to me, that is a dead guy, because dead guys are truly neutral!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Im glad alls well that ended well, but I personally, think his tactics sucked, as far as the article you linked described. Yes, he prevailed, and is a hero, but if he teaches the same thing he displayed via this article. His tactics SUCK! He identified, shot, but then quit? Then he shot again, and quit? Only after he was near being overcome, or falling as he retreated, (based on the article)did he end the encounter! Again, his tactics sucked! Hopefully his students realize this, and don't try to emulate him! Shoot until the threat is neutralized, to me, that is a dead guy, because dead guys are truly neutral!

Agreed
    He finally succeeded, but he was way too timid.
    At least no more innocent people were harmed after the jihadist was engaged, but it could easily have been much worse.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I personally think that all these protests latley have made cops more timid in "neutralizing" the threat.

And this story is the exact reason I ignore the "no firearms" signs in malls and movie theaters and the like.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    All those who were there and witnessed the entire situation please raise your hand. Everybody else, the Monday morning QB club will convene at the usual time tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    All those who were there and witnessed the entire situation please raise your hand. Everybody else, the Monday morning QB club will convene at the usual time tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:
    Look, I took what was stated in the article, and critiqued it! His stated tactics ****ing sucked! so back 'atcha with the rolled eyes!

and while you're at the rolled eyes thing, name one trainer or firearms training company that would tell you to shoot, stop, wait until attacked again, shoot again, stop, wait until attacked again and shoot again?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just wondering if he was struck more by political correctness than anything else. He shot, and instead of continued fire which lately has gotten police officers in trouble with the public, he waited to see if the aggression had stopped. When he determined that it had not, he fired again, and again due to political correctness he waited again to see if the aggressor had quit. Unfortunately for him, the aggressor had not stopped and the only way to end this was required to be fatal.

And just in over the TV, as I just heard this, as I don't have a link, ISIS is declaring that the knife guy was one of them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just wondering if he was struck more by political correctness than anything else. He shot, and instead of continued fire which lately has gotten police officers in trouble with the public, he waited to see if the aggression had stopped. When he determined that it had not, he fired again, and again due to political correctness he waited again to see if the aggressor had quit. Unfortunately for him, the aggressor had not stopped and the only way to end this was required to be fatal.

And just in over the TV, as I just heard this, as I don't have a link, ISIS is declaring that the knife guy was one of them.
    Then he needs to turn in his badge, and not ever teach another "tactical" class! I'm not doubting that's what may have happened, but, with that mindset, he needs new employment!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Look, I took what was stated in the article, and critiqued it! His stated tactics ****ing sucked! so back 'atcha with the rolled eyes!

and while you're at the rolled eyes thing, name one trainer or firearms training company that would tell you to shoot, stop, wait until attacked again, shoot again, stop, wait until attacked again and shoot again?

IMPD officers are taught to reassess a situation after an initial engagement by a trainer that is also an INGO member. Perhaps shooting and reassessing was appropriate in this situation. I don't know, I wasn't there. But it is taught.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    IMPD officers are taught to reassess a situation after an initial engagement by a trainer that is also an INGO member. Perhaps shooting and reassessing was appropriate in this situation. I don't know, I wasn't there. But it is taught.
    Valid point, but reassessing to the point of almost falling and being overcome is still bad tactics. I'd like to see the vid, or vids. Not denying the guy prevailed, and saved lives as well. Just sayin'

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Valid point, but reassessing to the point of almost falling and being overcome is still bad tactics. I'd like to see the vid, or vids. Not denying the guy prevailed, and saved lives as well. Just sayin'

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can have the best tactics in the world and there is no way you can control every single thing that happens in a situation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Then he needs to turn in his badge, and not ever teach another "tactical" class! I'm not doubting that's what may have happened, but, with that mindset, he needs new employment!

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Like Frank said, we are taught that tactic.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It would also be interesting to know what he was sending downrange. Was he actually carrying defensive rounds or only FMJs? There is a FB rumor this officer is a competitive shooter as well. (Havent seen it confirmed, just mentioned)

I've seen the "What? A bullet is a bullet? It doesnt matter what I use, its gonna kill him at those speeds." mentality, so I wonder, given the terrorist's repeated advances since they were only psychological stops, if he was carrying adequate ammo. Or possibly a mouse gun?

From an equipment/ammo standpoint, I think this would make an awesome teaching moment.

Top Bottom