www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What sign?

The "no weapons" signs that malls almost always have on the front door. I cant recall the last mall I was in that DIDNT have one of those signs. Its a safe bet that there was one. (not 100% but the odds are with you to assume there was one)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It would also be interesting to know what he was sending downrange. Was he actually carrying defensive rounds or only FMJs? There is a FB rumor this officer is a competitive shooter as well. (Havent seen it confirmed, just mentioned)

I've seen the "What? A bullet is a bullet? It doesnt matter what I use, its gonna kill him at those speeds." mentality, so I wonder, given the terrorist's repeated advances since they were only psychological stops, if he was carrying adequate ammo. Or possibly a mouse gun?

From an equipment/ammo standpoint, I think this would make an awesome teaching moment.

Since he's an officer, I image he was carrying approved or duty rounds (which are always HPs). It might not be the same everywhere, but we are required to qualify with our off-duty weapons, and can only carry approved rounds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Since he's an officer, I image he was carrying approved or duty rounds (which are always HPs). It might not be the same everywhere, but we are required to qualify with our off-duty weapons, and can only carry approved rounds.

Are you also required to ONLY carry a weapon you are qualified with? In other words, if you arent qualified with say your personal G42, are you prohibited from carrying it on your days off on your own time? That is what I was getting at.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Like Frank said, we are taught that tactic.
    You are correct, my interpretation of the article as written, still leads me to bad tactics. It could have been poorly worded, and not happened like that at all, as was said, we weren't there. The guy prevailed, lives were saved, one less terrorist jihadi to deal with!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Are you also required to ONLY carry a weapon you are qualified with? In other words, if you arent qualified with say your personal G42, are you prohibited from carrying it on your days off on your own time? That is what I was getting at.

If I carry a gun I haven't qualified with, it is possible the department won't back me if I'm involved in an off-duty shooting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If I carry a gun I haven't qualified with, it is possible the department won't back me if I'm involved in an off-duty shooting.

Thanks.

Hope we get to see the AAR with all the details. (gun, ammo, perp's toxicology report, etc) This encounter seems like a solid learning tool.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Look, I took what was stated in the article, and critiqued it! His stated tactics ****ing sucked! so back 'atcha with the rolled eyes!

and while you're at the rolled eyes thing, name one trainer or firearms training company that would tell you to shoot, stop, wait until attacked again, shoot again, stop, wait until attacked again and shoot again?

I am not going to armchair QB this. The officer stopped the threat and went home.

The attacker went down and then got up and was shot again. This happened several times.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    So the guy comes out of this with all the good guys alive and the bad guy stopped.

And people who where not there want to complain about how he did it?

The internet, gotta love it...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont forget the other rules above the highlighted one. Something about doing anything that causes harm to others.

By my count he broke at least 4 of the top rules as well. :dunno:

Top Bottom