Are We Going To Act? Where Do You Stand?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

In the thread below, https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/141370-had_the_police_called_on_me.html , I stated that I wrote the following to the restaurant and corporate:

Dear Sir or Ma’am,

It has come to my attention that, at your newly-opened HuHot in Lafayette, Indiana, a man who was dining at your establishment with his family was detained by police due to the actions of the manager and/or regional manager.

To say this is disturbing to me would be an understatement. I do not look at police interaction (unless they are my guests!) during a meal away from home as being a pleasurable dining experience.

With all the argument about the Second Amendment these days, I will not go into that. I will, however, take this time to educate you on Indiana law and procedure.

The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State. Art. I, § 32 (enacted 1851, art. I, § 32).
    1816: That the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State, and that the military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power. Art. I, § 20.

The above excerpt is from the Indiana Constitution. There is little left to define here as the wording is more straightforward and modern than the United States Bill of Rights.

Additionally, we must have licenses to carry our handguns, openly or concealed. To obtain these licenses, we must go through rigorous background checks by local and state agencies which may access federal records to make sure we are “proper people” as defined by the law. When we buy new firearms, we must submit to federal background checks. This is called the NICS, or National Instant Check System. As well, many of us are trained as are the average police officers, and more and better besides, as we seek out training on our own. We, as a community, feel a deep obligation to hold ourselves to higher standards having obtained the licensure and knowledge to possess firearms.

In short, Sir, you are assured to be safer in the company of an individual properly licensed and trained in pistolcraft, regardless of whether he or she is wearing a uniform or badge, than you are in the presence of an ordinary citizen. We have proven our mental and physical fitness as rational, upstanding persons, and we have licensure to prove this. Though we are not required to show these licenses to anyone but law enforcement (and law enforcement only upon demand), I’m sure there are a number of private citizens who would not mind showing his card to a curious manager for his further education in this area.

Until I am assured that the police will not be needlessly bothered to check a perfectly legal person carrying a legal sidearm (openly or concealed) in your establishment, I cannot patronize any HuHot location.

Thank you for your time,

Joshua M. Smith

Cc:

HuHot Mongolian Grills, LLC
    Corporate Headquarters
    223 East Main Street
    Missoula, MT 59802

Within the hour, several people had read it, and I received this reply:

Joshua,
    Thanks for sending me your message. As I told the patron that you noted below, the situation should have been handled in a different manner. For this, I apologized. This was our staff's first encounter with a patron carrying a sidearm other than a member of law enforcement. Truthfully, Joshua, our management staff was improperly trained on handling this situation in an appropriate manner. We take full responsibility for this.
    You will be happy to know that our executive team will be meeting today to devise a plan on how we can better educate our managers and hourly staff to ensure a situation like this never happens in the future.

Joshua, I would actually like to invite you and other legally registered sidearm carriers to visit our location in the coming weeks to see, first-hand, the improvements we are making. Would you be willing to help us make our restaurants more open-carry friendly. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.

Brian Schalk
    Appetize - HuHot Mongolian Grill
    920-380-0611

We are being asked to act!

I only post this here because it seems that it is extremely important to most of us, and the response I received may not get the attention it deserves in a thread already filled past what most people will read.

Where do you stand? :rockwoot:

Josh

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I'd make an effort to attend, if something is organized. If not, I'll make a point to go on my own when I'm near Lafayette, and inform the manager on duty that I am trying the place in response to what I believed to be a sincere overture to the gun-owning (and carrying) community.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My return letter to him:

Mr. Schalk,

Thank you Sir, for the invitation. I am in contact with several legally armed citizens at the moment, and am letting them know what has been said.

It is a good thing when businesses know we are not an enemy to be feared, and we actively give our money to pro-gun businesses.

Something further to think about: Studies, which are widely available on the internet, have been done, and places which actively display firearms experience less crime than those which try to prohibit firearms. Criminals are much more afraid of armed homeowners and citizens abroad than they are of cameras (not at all) or police (about 3/10, if I remember correctly). Armed private citizens rank a 9/10 or 10/10, and the vast majority of criminals who decided not to commit a crime did so because they were afraid the intended victim may have been armed.

I would return the favor, Sir: Should you ever be near Wabash, please let me know in advance. I will take you shooting and familiarize you with firearms, if you are not already.

Thank you VERY much for your prompt response.

Warm regards,

Joshua M. Smith

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Depending on when something is planned, I would go. I have to work during the week of course, but the weekends would be good. I live about two hours from there but it would be worth it to educate some people. Let me know whats planned and I will also keep up on the thread. Thanks

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Very nice! I don't know of any of their stores near me, but I would certainly go there simply because of the response you received. It's nice to see companies that truly make an effort to do what's right.:yesway:

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    In short, Sir, you are assured to be safer in the company of an individual properly licensed and trained in pistolcraft, regardless of whether he or she is wearing a uniform or badge, than you are in the presence of an ordinary citizen. We have proven our mental and physical fitness as rational, upstanding persons, and we have licensure to prove this.

Pistolcraft?
    Training?
    Physical fitness?.....

I must have missed those sections of the LTCH application.

I just paid money and got a piece of paper.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is a long way from the Fort to Lafayette, but I would give serious consideration to offering to take the wife to a special place in Lafayette for lunch or dinner on a Saturday. I will do what I can to establish our credibility and trustworthiness with a good company like this.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    GREAT response!! I get up to Lafayette periodically, I'll stop in, have a meal, introduce myself and reinforce my support for their attitude in support of 2nd amendment.

Hello,

In the thread below, https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/141370-had_the_police_called_on_me.html , I stated that I wrote the following to the restaurant and corporate:

Within the hour, several people had read it, and I received this reply:

We are being asked to act!

I only post this here because it seems that it is extremely important to most of us, and the response I received may not get the attention it deserves in a thread already filled past what most people will read.

Where do you stand? :rockwoot:

Josh

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Wow, that's an amazing response. I wish it were closer. A response like that deserves my regular patronage if their food is any good.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It probably goes without saying here but I would suggest very polite, respectful, low key patronage of the establishment. With any luck and education of the employees on the owner's part-- and some restraint on ours-- this will be a model for OC in Indiana. "Waiter, that man has a GUN!!!" "Yes, sir, open carry is legal in Indiana. He's a regular patron, here with his wife and daughter. Are you enjoying your food?"

Wow, that's an amazing response. I wish it were closer. A response like that deserves my regular patronage if their food is any good.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    That is great!!! I would love to attend an OC event at this location. I live in Whiteland which is about 2 and 1/2 hours south but I would definately make the trip to support a pro gun business. +1 to this establishment.

Top Bottom