Are We Going To Act? Where Do You Stand?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    ATM is on it.

And...

Just my thoughts:

Those who are nearby and comfortable carrying openly should simply go at their own convenience and even mention this invitation from management to come and see that carrying will not be an issue again.

Those who are farther away, or aren't as comfortable OCing outside of a group, or just want to get together with other INGOers, plan a specific date and time for a follow-up outing.

If they respond poorly again to an individual, I'd hate to give them our patronage as a larger group when they might consider behaving differently to collect the larger bill.

This.

Never meant to imply that I was going to plan an event, though I'll do so if it needs doing. I'll carry openly or concealed; doesn't matter to me. :dunno:

Thanks,

Josh

aaronsbig16g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    That is great to hear that they gave you such a good response and in a timely manner. If I am in the area I will stop in.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Thats a bit far north for me but I am curious to how this comes out.Please keep me in the loop. Does this company own any other places around southern Indiana? Maybe under a different name? I have never heard of them. It is good to know that they are willing to be educated on the subject and not just slap a no firearms sign on the front door though!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Thanks Josh.

Rep incoming.

I'm very glad to see that the situation was handled in a much more professional manner than in "other" threads (you know who you are...;)).

I think the outcome speaks for itself. While not all "letters to the manager" will end in such a positive outcome it definitely beats the odds of the other alternatives. I seriously doubt that ANYTHING has ever been gained by "standing up to" the clerk, waiter, store manager, etc. right on the spot that a well thought out letter couldn't do better.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I live 45 minutes away. The wife and I thought it was delicious the last time we went. We plan on going again in about two weeks time. I almost always CC, but the next time we go I will specifically OC due to this thread and the previous one.

You will definitely hear from me if I have a negative experience.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    New email updating us on the meeting:

Joshua,

I wanted to personally follow-up with you on this important matter. First, I want you to know that I am a proud gun owner myself and so I am very familiar with our rights, which I acknowledge are often infringed upon. Second and more importantly, I wanted to explain our new policy, which was created as a result of the confusion that took place this past week at our Lafayette location.

Going forward, all restaurants that we operate will allow legally armed patrons to carry a firearm into the restaurant, as long as that firearm is legally kept concealed (officers in uniform will still be allowed to carry unconcealed weapons). We feel that allowing concealed carry in our restaurants is a fair compromise between allowing open carry and not allowing firearms at all. Although it may be ideal in most regards to allow open carry, I think that we can both agree that this causes other problems – such as what we observed the other night when another guest who felt uncomfortable called the police, which unnecessarily alienated someone who was only practicing their right to carry. We want all patrons to feel comfortable in our restaurant and in this case, neither the guest who called the police nor the guest who was confronted by the police felt so.

I certainly appreciate your follow-up on this matter and if I’m ever in the neighborhood, I would love to head out to the range together.

Thank you,

David Lindenstruth

Owner

Appetize, Inc. - Operator of HuHot Mongolian Grill

"Restaurant Neighbor Award Finalist" - National Restaurant Association

o: 920-380-0611

f: 920-380-0699

c: 920-915-3650

Making Community Impacts

Thoughts?

Josh

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    My response:

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to update me on the situation.

While I can agree it’s a reasonable compromise and do, in fact, carry concealed myself (not an insignificant task with a full-sized 1911), others may not see it that way.

I have passed our conversation on to the folks who first brought this to my attention at
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-are_we_going_to_act_where_do_you_stand.html

(You are invited to join the board as well, Sir, if you are so inclined!)

It is sad that we live in a society where some folks are scared of inanimate objects; tools. I have my theories as to what caused this social situation, but this is not the time nor place to discuss those thoughts.

I will say that some others will not like the compromise, feeling that by covering up, they are hiding a “dirty little secret” which should not be considered dirty. I can see their point, and I do agree to an extent with them.

However, I do also believe in capitalism and your right to make money, having once been a business owner and, later, assisting friends to open a new restaurant in Wabash. True, some gun owners may not visit because they will feel their rights are being infringed upon, but on the other hand, if open carry is allowed, then you will lose business from the other side of the political fence. I do not think you’ll lose much business.

I will be spending my money there when I get over that way, as I do once a month or so. I will pass this on and see what the “collective” has to say.

Thank you very much,

Josh

Hopefully he can join us here.

Josh

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I understand their decision to choose a compromise position on the matter and appreciate that it is only a minor infringement (which wouldn't even bother many carriers).

However, I really enjoyed my first meal there while uneventfully openly carrying and now I doubt that I'll go back.

There are just too many other good places available that won't ask me to cover up.

meh.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Quick response.

I've sent multiple emails to Kohl's and have tried calling after being kicked out. I'm still awaiting a response.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Too bad for the latest response. I was blown away by the first response, but now after the latest one, ehh... That's definitely no better than many other places. I'm at Purdue and was going to make a trip over there tomorrow, but now I'm much less inclined.

Top Bottom