• ...and so much more!
  • HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    :)
    Teacher forces 5th grade minority student to lick desktop clean.

The union that the teacher is affiliated with is the New York State United Teachers.

From the Drudge Report: Parents: Teacher forced son to lick drawing off desk - WRGB CBS6 - Top Stories

Just curious. Why mention the union this teacher is affiliated with? The union had nothing to do with this teachers actions. I hope thats not whag you are getting at here. If not I apologize, but I dont see the need to put what union she is in. If I, as an ironworker, do something stupid, its my fault not my unions.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

Just curious. Why mention the union this teacher is affiliated with? The union had nothing to do with this teachers actions. I hope thats not whag you are getting at here. If not I apologize, but I dont see the need to put what union she is in. If I, as an ironworker, do something stupid, its my fault not my unions.

For all we know the teachers wasn't even in a union. I bet the teacher was gay, union member, and a wiccan. :laugh:

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You are correct. The union didn't have anything to do with this. I wanted to bring up the affiliation so that as the story progresses, we can see if there will be any disciplinary action taken by the union.

Do you remember a few years back when the 8 or so UAW members were filmed smoking dope and drinking alcohol while on their lunch break? They were initially fired and then hired back.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    You are correct. The union didn't have anything to do with this. I wanted to bring up the affiliation so that as the story progresses, we can see if there will be any disciplinary action taken by the union.

Do you remember a few years back when the 8 or so UAW members were filmed smoking dope and drinking alcohol while on their lunch break? They were initially fired and then hired back.

Im sure they were not hired back, fired from one company and go to another, probably, happens all the time. Unions are not perfect, but I much reather work for a union and make my 42 an hour than work non union and make 15 an h8ur, which is what mostnon union ironworkers make. You gotta take the good with the bad, which imo unions have a lot more good going for them than bad. In this case, the union wont even get involved unless the school (employer) fires the said teacher. If this dont happen it has nothing to do with the union. Unions are to ensure fair working not ensure unfair work conditions. Which, this I agree with what you probably, i think, its BS. This is where you take the bad for the good.

It is extremely hard to get kicked out of a union once your in it. Near impossible actually. The worst that will uappen is all employers for the union will get you on a black list and you cant find a job. This happens a lot more than one would think.

Oh yea, one more thing. Any highrise built before 1997 or so, you can bet your bottom dollar it was built by a bunch of guys who were drinking and smoking weed, some even doing cocaine. This was a normal thing back in the day, before osha really started getting on our asses.

Last edited:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Unions suck and get people over paid

Haha, you wanna talk over paid, lets talk politicians. I take it you never was able to pass the workkeys test to get in a union? Any man able to join a union would never complain of being over paid. This is just a ridiculous comment. So if someone offered you double your wage, you would say, no thank you, I dont want to be over paid? Cmon now.

Also if not for the sucky unions, you wouldnt have a lot of the work rights you have today. So next time you see a union member, say thanks that you get to spend your weekends with your family.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Haha, you wanna talk over paid, lets talk politicians. I take it you never was able to pass the workkeys test to get in a union? Any man able to join a union would never complain of being over paid. This is just a ridiculous comment. So if someone offered you double your wage, you would say, no thank you, I dont want to be over paid? Cmon now.

A union member might not complain about being overpaid, but all of us who pay higher prices because of it sure will. By getting paid more than you are worth you are driving up the prices on everything you work on.
    Also if not for the sucky unions, you wouldnt have a lot of the work rights you have today. So next time you see a union member, say thanks that you get to spend your weekends with your family.

Unions once had a place in society. They did fight for workers rights. Today there are countless laws protecting workers. The United States Code is now your union. The law mandates breaks, workplace safety, and prohibits child labor. Unions today are simply giant political machines.

If I see a union member today I should thank them for higher priced goods, too many laws, and the Democrat party.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

I will give you they served their purpose in the past, but no longer. They are trying to get people $15 in Mickey D's.

Whirlpool is gone from Evansville because of the union, people really thought they were worth $16 an hour to turn a screw.:dunno:

I have been saying no to unions for 25 years now, why would I change my mind now. If unions are all that why do right to work laws scare the hell out of them? Don't they want everyday Joes like me competing and offering to do the same quality work for less?

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    A union member might not complain about being overpaid, but all of us you pay higher prices because of it sure will. By getting paid more than you are worth you are driving up the prices on everything you work on.

Unions once had a place in society. They did fight for workers rights. Today there are countless laws protecting workers. The United States Code is now your union. The law mandates breaks, workplace safety, and child labor. Unions today are simply giant political machines.

Driving up prices, really. So you see it ok the ceos are making millions upon millions, while the guys doing the labor, to make this guys his millions, should not make a decent wage? Unions make up the middle class, without unikns you have poverty and rich. Dont think so, I think we will soon see if the repubs get their way. I believe there should not be unions honestly, but I belive everyone should make a wage where they can live the life they want to live. Politics are in everything these days, no way around it. Our wage to some may seem high, but I see 82000 a year a fair wage when im making other multimillons a year.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    :welcome:
    I will give you they served their purpose in the past, but no longer. They are trying to get people $15 in Mickey D's.

Whirlpool is gone from Evansville because of the union, people really thought they were worth $16 an hour to turn a screw.:dunno:

I have been saying no to unions for 25 years now, why would I change my mind now. If unions are all that why do right to work laws scare the hell out of them? Don't they want everyday Joes like me competing and offering to do the same quality work for less?

Have you ever worked micky d's? You ever done customer service? Thats a fair wage, especially figuring its a multi billion dollar company.

Right to work scares them because any joe can come in and work for them, without passing our skills test. Also, once your right to work, we no longer have to pay union dues, but they still have to give that employee all the union perks. Its all about money.also a safety concern. Would you want to work 500 feet in the air dangling on a piece of iron with some dip**** with no construction sense?

With this, im done. You have your opinion, I respect that. I have my opinion. You wont change my mind as I am sure I wont change yours, so this is a waste of both of our times.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    :welcome:

Have you ever worked micky d's? You ever done customer service? Thats a fair wage, especially figuring its a multi billion dollar company.

Right to work scares them because any joe can come in and work for them, without passing our skills test. Also, once your right to work, we no longer have to pay union dues, but they still have to give that employee all the union perks. Its all about money.also a safety concern. Would you want to work 500 feet in the air dangling on a piece of iron with some dip**** with no construction sense?

With this, im done. You have your opinion, I respect that. I have my opinion. You wont change my mind as I am sure I wont change yours, so this is a waste of both of our times.
    I will stop after this last comment then. Safety concerns? Really? OSHA is worthless but the union will protect us?

If you cannot pass the test you do not get hired. I see people not get hired for minimum wage jobs all the time because they failed a simple math test.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I will stop after this last comment then. Safety concerns? Really? OSHA is worthless but the union will protect us?

If you cannot pass the test you do not get hired. I see people not get hired for minimum wage jobs all the time because they failed a simple math test.

I gotta respond to this. I never said osha is not a good thing, it is, but like our government, it has gotten to big. I have seen a lot of injuries occur because of osha rules. They are pencil pushers trying to tell us whats safe and whats not with no real construction experiance. Thats like me reading a book about your profession and than coming in and making the rules on how you have to do it safely. A lot of OSHA is good, but there are quite a bit thats overkill. Again, all about money, gotta do it for insurance reasons.

As for trusting the union or osha with my safety. NO, I trust me, myself, and I with my safety. Thats it. This is how any worker should feel. My job is I believe number 5 in most dangerous. I trust no one with my safety, but me. If I know I can do it, than I do it, if I have doubts, and its life threatening, than I dont do it. I dont need another person to tell me whats safe or not.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Driving up prices, really. So you see it ok the ceos are making millions upon millions, while the guys doing the labor, to make this guys his millions, should not make a decent wage? Unions make up the middle class, without unikns you have poverty and rich.

How is it hard to see that when an employer pays their employees a higher wage that the cost of their goods will increase? EVERYONE pays for the cost of your union. Are you trying to say that their was NO middle class before unions? If so, that's ridiculous. We weren't a nation of poor peasants and wealthy overlords in the past. There were plenty of well off average people. Why should a CEO not make millions? They manage huge companies. If I was responsible for millions, if not billions, of dollars in business I would expect to be paid handsomely.

Dont think so, I think we will soon see if the repubs get their way. I believe there should not be unions honestly, but I belive everyone should make a wage where they can live the life they want to live. Politics are in everything these days, no way around it. Our wage to some may seem high, but I see 82000 a year a fair wage when im making other multimillons a year.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you aren't entitled to a nice life. You are entitled only to what you work for. It isn't anyone's responsibility besides your own to ensure you are comfortable. You employer is not Santa Clause, and they owe you nothing. If you didn't work for them they would simply find someone else to do your job.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    How is it hard to see that when an employer pays their employees a higher wage that the cost of their goods will increase? EVERYONE pays for the cost of your union. Are you trying to say that their was NO middle class before unions? If so, that's ridiculous. We weren't a nation of poor peasants and wealthy overlords in the past. There were plenty of well off average people. Why should a CEO not make millions? They manage huge companies. If I was responsible for millions, if not billions, of dollars in business I would expect to be paid handsomely.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you aren't entitled to a nice life. You are entitled only to what you work for. It isn't anyone's responsibility besides your own to ensure you are comfortable. You employer is not Santa Clause, and they owe you nothing. If you didn't work for them they would simply find someone else to do your job.

Well reather you like it or not, my employer owes me what I do work for, and thats 42 an hour. Sorry if you feel thats to much. No im not saying there was no middle class before unions, but what is middle class wages? What im saying is a lot of non union dont pay middle class wages. As for being responsible for millions if not billions you want to be handsomely. Thanks for proving my point, I handle millions if not billions everyday, not in cash but in product, so I should be paid handsomely for it :)

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Thanks for proving my point, I handle millions if not billions everyday, not in cash but in product, so I should be paid handsomely for it :)
    Nope. I have no clue what you do, but I bet you could be very easily replaced. A CEO is a highly skilled and valuable asset to a company. They are the ones who make sure you have a time clock to punch into.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Like the Cascade HS coaches making kids bear crawl on hot on rocky tar track. Bad judgement, or or evil? Either way they need to be fired as does this teacher...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

I wasn't aware such a compliment of rights existed. Do you mind enumerating them for me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well reather you like it or not, my employer owes me what I do work for, and thats 42 an hour. Sorry if you feel thats to much. No im not saying there was no middle class before unions, but what is middle class wages? What im saying is a lot of non union dont pay middle class wages. As for being responsible for millions if not billions you want to be handsomely. Thanks for proving my point, I handle millions if not billions everyday, not in cash but in product, so I should be paid handsomely for it :)

Class warfare alive and well.

You are only entitled to be compensated for your labor. The existence of collective bargaining only makes the extortion and inflation of your work's "worth" legal. If you can't justify your compensation on your own, I don't think you're worth it. Period.

What you do is irrelevant. What your employer thinks you are worth is all that matters. If someone else was willing to do the job for a fraction of what you had agreed, would the job still be worth the higher wage you demanded? If you don't like the wage offerings, you should seek employment elsewhere. But then I suppose there's always the brute force coercion option.

Top Bottom