• ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Class warfare alive and well.

You are only entitled to be compensated for your labor. The existence of collective bargaining only makes the extortion and inflation of your work's "worth" legal. If you can't justify your compensation on your own, I don't think you're worth it. Period.

What you do is irrelevant. What your employer thinks you are worth is all that matters. If someone else was willing to do the job for a fraction of what you had agreed, would the job still be worth the higher wage you demanded? If you don't like the wage offerings, you should seek employment elsewhere. But then I suppose there's always the brute force coercion option.

QFT.

If you are worth X per hour, you'd be worth X per hour outside a union as well.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Im sure they were not hired back, fired from one company and go to another, probably, happens all the time. Unions are not perfect, but I much reather work for a union and make my 42 an hour than work non union and make 15 an h8ur, which is what mostnon union ironworkers make.

Yes they were hired back.
    Chrysler Forced To Rehire Workers Caught On Camera Getting High During Lunch Break | Mediaite

And if there are people willing to do your job for $15/hr that is what your job is worth.

Have you ever worked micky d's? You ever done customer service? Thats a fair wage, especially figuring its a multi billion dollar company.

I've worked fast food for about a week, and while not technically customer service, customer service was a large part of my job at another place.

$15 is a fair wage to flip a burger or ask "Do you want fries with that"? Or punching in orders on a cash register with pictures? Hell less than the current minimum wage would probably be a fair wage.

For customer service, I'd say it depends. Are you the guy sitting in a cubicle taking complaints by phone? Or taking orders and giving them their food? Or are you the guy who is schmoozing and boozing people trying to get contracts? Or in my case are you the guy who's trying to keep them happy while they are losing money at a craps table? All are forms of customer service. Me I received minimum wage and tips if I did my job right.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Im sure they were not hired back, fired from one company and go to another, probably, happens all the time. Unions are not perfect, but I much reather work for a union and make my 42 an hour than work non union and make 15 an h8ur, which is what mostnon union ironworkers make. You gotta take the good with the bad, which imo unions have a lot more good going for them than bad. In this case, the union wont even get involved unless the school (employer) fires the said teacher. If this dont happen it has nothing to do with the union. Unions are to ensure fair working not ensure unfair work conditions. Which, this I agree with what you probably, i think, its BS. This is where you take the bad for the good.

Yeah they were... the UAW forced Chrysler to take them back.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I will give you they served their purpose in the past, but no longer.

Don't give him that. It's BS. I hate that argument. It implies that the free market was failing and that Unions (and their government cronies) saved us.

Unions should serve the same purpose today that they served then. Workers could voluntarily band together and make their demands and go on strike. The employers could make the economic decision to give in to their demands or to fire them and hire new employees.

Government regulations are not a good thing, are not necessary, and are not a good substitute for the free market. If you don't feel safe in your work conditions, ask to have them changed or find a new job. In a free market, the pay should reflect the hazardous conditions, and if the company doesn't want to pay extra for hazards then they can create safe conditions.

Unions are fine. They are a legitimate market force. They were then and they are now. The government should have 0% involvement, either for or against unions.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :)

Just curious. Why mention the union this teacher is affiliated with? The union had nothing to do with this teachers actions. I hope thats not whag you are getting at here. If not I apologize, but I dont see the need to put what union she is in. If I, as an ironworker, do something stupid, its my fault not my unions.
    That's what Grunt does - connect anecdotal evidence to liberal ideals (homosexuality/unions/race/French/etc). But, I imagine he is indeed right as I suspect NY Dept of Ed is a closed shop (like most districts in IN?).

And you want to know how they handle misfit teachers like this? Rubber rooms. It's pathetic how the unions have so much control and protectionism that these people stay on the payroll and sit in a room and do crossword puzzles all day.

Last edited:

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Do you remember a few years back when the 8 or so UAW members were filmed smoking dope and drinking alcohol while on their lunch break? They were initially fired and then hired back.

bwahahahhahahahaa

That my friend, was/is a normal occurrence for the last 30 years in many factories. Being on a lunch break would have been respectable...Most did it right out in the open on the lines. Or while playing Euchre or spades on the late shifts next to the machines...I could not even count how many workers got suspendend or fired, then brought back with help from union reps. No one ever said goodbye to anyone kicked to the door, we all knew we would see them again...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would point out that human nature is to take advantage of others when afforded the opportunity. Some people eschew doing so as a matter of principle and others congratulate themselves for doing so with the utmost efficiency. This applies in both the board room and the union hall--and most all other places.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Nope. I have no clue what you do, but I bet you could be very easily replaced. A CEO is a highly skilled and valuable asset to a company. They are the ones who make sure you have a time clock to punch into.

And now we see who has not been paying attention..HmdBrian is an Ironworker the demi-gods of construction. The people the history channel has week long specials on, ironworkers are highly skilled. The work is dirty, dangerous and performed in truly life threatening conditions. 99.9999 of the planet can't do the work and won't do the work no matter what the pay. So if you feel you have what it takes to earn a blue sticker watch your local paper and sign up next spring.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    And now we see who has not been paying attention..HmdBrian is an Ironworker the demi-gods of construction. The people the history channel has week long specials on, ironworkers are highly skilled. The work is dirty, dangerous and performed in truly life threatening conditions. 99.9999 of the planet can't do the work and won't do the work no matter what the pay. So if you feel you have what it takes to earn a blue sticker watch your local paper and sign up next spring.

How ridiculous. Iron workers are not brain surgeons. They are simply skilled tradesmen. I can GUARANTEE you that there are far, far more people who could be iron workers than could be a CEO. 99% of the population couldn't be a commercial diver, 99% couldn't be a computer programer, 99% couldn't be a doctor-what does that prove? I couldn't care less what percentage of the population is currently qualified, and I emphasize currently, to do a job. If he wasn't an iron worker another person would gladly become trained to be one. Iron workers aren't born with some extreme level of intellect that allows them to do their job, they are simply trained. Any job that requires training above natural abilities can be filled by someone after training.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How ridiculous. Iron workers are not brain surgeons. They are simply skilled tradesmen. I can GUARANTEE you that there are far, far more people who could be iron workers than could be a CEO. 99% of the population couldn't be a commercial diver, 99% couldn't be a computer programer, 99% couldn't be a doctor-what does that prove? I couldn't care less what percentage of the population is currently qualified, and I emphasize currently, to do a job. If he wasn't an iron worker another person would gladly become trained to be one. Iron workers aren't born with some extreme level of intellect that allows them to do their job, they are simply trained. Any job that requires training above natural abilities can be filled by someone after training.

While I can understand the idea you are presenting, I would also point out that we have seen evidence that there are plenty of highly paid CEOs who aren't qualified to be CEOs. Why does this happen?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    While I can understand the idea you are presenting, I would also point out that we have seen evidence that there are plenty of highly paid CEOs who aren't qualified to be CEOs. Why does this happen?

Those CEOs should be treated like everyone else in the world besides union members. They should be paid what they are worth. It is absolutely crazy to pay someone to do a job when they can be replaced by someone of equal quality for less money.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Those CEOs should be treated like everyone else in the world besides union members. They should be paid what they are worth. It is absolutely crazy to pay someone to do a job when they can be replaced by someone of equal quality for less money.

One thing you have to keep in mind with union labor is that part of the bargain is getting a qualified person on short notice without having to sort too much (at least in theory it works this way) in addition to not having to deal with a lot of HR issues like finding and maintaining benefits which is done for you. Of course, there is plenty of baggage the other way, including protection of worthless bums.

As for the CEOs, I have seen plenty of examples that left me thinking that I should hit the road applying for CEO with the offer that I can f**k the company up just as efficiently as the guy now doing it for a fraction of the cost.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

This is rubbish. A market demands materials and trades. Without the iron workers, half the doctors would have to change professions in order to support the half that didn't. The role of the iron worker should not be devalued. Oh, one other point, brain surgeons are certainly skilled tradesmen. They are given the title of Doctor.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    This is rubbish. A market demands materials and trades. Without the iron workers, half the doctors would have to change professions in order to support the half that didn't. The role of the iron worker should not be devalued. Oh, one other point, brain surgeons are certainly skilled tradesmen. They are given the title of Doctor.

It makes no sense to use the word "market" when talking about a union. The only thing that a union does is distort the market.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Then they should be able to secure a decent pay check without collective jack-bootery.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso

Look, I was gonna be done here, but I cant take it. You keep talking about what people are worth. Who the **** are you to say what me, Tom, Dick, or Harry are worth? Obviously we are worth what we get paid, our employers are paying us arent they. Indiana is right to work and companies are still hiring union trades to do their work. So stfu already. If we were not worth it why would we still be getting hired, even in right to work states? Are These ceos your talking so highly about that stupid, that they cant figure out to hire non union for a cheaper wage? No. Its because they know union trades are well trained and worth their wage. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but you need to get over it.

I must ask, what you do for a living?

Top Bottom