• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Once again, human nature is to take advantage of others when possible. We may wish to recall then when unions originally formed, one of their biggest issues was having better than even odds of going home alive from work at the end of the day. There is no question that an employer without meaningful opposition will take gross advantage of employees. On the other hand, when the union is in the superior leveraging position, it will gleefully run the employer into bankruptcy and then squeal like a stuck hog while being very much responsible for killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

As with most things, balance is in order.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Once again, human nature is to take advantage of others when possible. We may wish to recall then when unions originally formed, one of their biggest issues was having better than even odds of going home alive from work at the end of the day. There is no question that an employer without meaningful opposition will take gross advantage of employees. On the other hand, when the union is in the superior leveraging position, it will gleefully run the employer into bankruptcy and then squeal like a stuck hog while being very much responsible for killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

As with most things, balance is in order.
    You mean like the Postal Service and Whirlpool?

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Look, I was gonna be done here, but I cant take it. You keep talking about what people are worth. Who the **** are you to say what me, Tom, Dick, or Harry are worth? Obviously we are worth what we get paid, our employers are paying us arent they. Indiana is right to work and companies are still hiring union trades to do their work. So stfu already. If we were not worth it why would we still be getting hired, even in right to work states? Are These ceos your talking so highly about that stupid, that they cant figure out to hire non union for a cheaper wage? No. Its because they know union trades are well trained and worth their wage. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but you need to get over it.

I must ask, what you do for a living?

When a huge chuck of your workers are united and can make the decision to close down your factory and cost the company a fortune there isn't much of choice as to what to pay them. That is the inherent problem with unions. As a group they can bully employers into horrible positions.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So let me get this straight. I don't want to confuse the facts.

So a Student did bad and drew on his desk. Drawing on desks is as I remember from my days in school, something that is not supposed to be done. And someone correct me if I am wrong on that, drawing on a desk is still indeed frowned upon?

Then the teacher made the child lick his desk ensuring that he would not do something as stupid as drawing on it again?

And people are unhappy with the teacher for not reinforcing negative behavior?

This my fellows is why the country is going down the toilet. But in defense of the student, the student should have been given alternative choices instead of having to lick his desk. Something like expulsion, 1000 pushups and 1000 situps by the end of the day, or running 10 miles by the end of the day.

The Teacher should be a shining example to other students on why you do not graffiti things that are not yours, especially things that are bought by tax payers. Those desks are not free, the people who have to clean those desks are not free.

And what saddens me most about this forum is that this thread has derailed onto pro union anti union banter, instead of people discussion what an idiot this kid was for drawing on his desk.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County

So a Student did bad and drew on his desk. Drawing on desks is as I remember from my days in school, something that is not supposed to be done. And someone correct me if I am wrong on that, drawing on a desk is still indeed frowned upon?

Then the teacher made the child lick his desk ensuring that he would not do something as stupid as drawing on it again?

This my fellows is why the country is going down the toilet. But in defense of the student, the student should have been given alternative choices instead of having to lick his desk. Something like expulsion, 1000 pushups and 1000 situps by the end of the day, or running 10 miles by the end of the day.

The Teacher should be a shining example to other students on why you do not graffiti things that are not yours, especially things that are bought by tax payers. Those desks are not free, the people who have to clean those desks are not free.

And what saddens me most about this forum is that this thread has derailed onto pro union anti union banter, instead of people discussion what an idiot this kid was for drawing on his desk.

:+1:I agree. We should stop the union talk since it has absolutely nothing to do with this stupid teacher and stupid kid. The only reason Grunt mentioned it was to troll, and we are feeding him. I'll get back on topic.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    :+1:I agree. We should stop the union talk since it has absolutely nothing to do with this stupid teacher and stupid kid. The only reason Grunt mentioned it was to troll, and we are feeding him. I'll get back on topic.

See, I knew we could come to an agreement on something. :D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Or something that makes much more sense than asking a kid to lick a desk that numerous kids use would be to have them wash every single desk in the classroom?:dunno:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Or something that makes much more sense than asking a kid to lick a desk that numerous kids use would be to have them wash every single desk in the classroom?:dunno:

That is not demeaning enough to ensure the idiot student would not do it again. Now if he had to wash every desk in the class, then drink the soapy yet 100% non hazardous water after he was done, now that is a punishment I could get behind.

As the saying goes, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That is not demeaning enough to ensure the idiot student would not do it again. Now if he had to wash every desk in the class, then drink the soapy yet 100% non hazardous water after he was done, now that is a punishment I could get behind.

As the saying goes, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
    A teacher telling my kid to lick a desk would be a very stupid game for the teacher to be playing.:twocents:

I got caught writing on a desk in high school, teacher said knock it off and clean it up. I did, end of story.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    A teacher telling my kid to lick a desk would be a very stupid game for the teacher to be playing.:twocents:

Are you saying you would willing raise children that do bad things like draw on tax payer funded desks? Or do you raise your children better than that? If you raise your children better than that, then your comment is a moot point.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I majored in education, and I still think a lot of teachers are bad at their jobs. In my humble opinion some teachers decided on that profession for the same reason as a few cops, to have power and authority. When a certain type of person gets a little power it goes straight to their head. It sounds like this teacher was on a bizarre power trip. Or maybe the union told them to make students lick desks. The more students that die from disease the smaller the classroom sizes are.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Are you saying you would willing raise children that do bad things like draw on tax payer funded desks? Or do you raise your children better than that? If you raise your children better than that, then your comment is a moot point.
    Doesn't always matter how one raises their children. My parents certainly raised me better than that but I wrote on the desk anyway. Kids do stupid ****, let the punishment fit the crime and licking a desk does not fit the crime.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Doesn't always matter how one raises their children. My parents certainly raised me better than that but I wrote on the desk anyway. Kids do stupid ****, let the punishment fit the crime and licking a desk does not fit the crime.

That is a matter of opinion sir, I think licking the desk is a very reasonable punishment for graffiting tax payer property. If a police officer would have seen the student doing that to park equipment the fine would be much much heftier. So I would say that having to lick your desk clean of the graffiti that was placed on it is well worth it as a punishment.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Look, I was gonna be done here, but I cant take it. You keep talking about what people are worth. Who the **** are you to say what me, Tom, Dick, or Harry are worth?
    If I'm the employer, I decide what you're worth. If I'm not, and you tell you you had to threaten work stoppage to receive your wage, you're not worth it.

Obviously we are worth what we get paid, our employers are paying us arent they.
    It's worth it to the company to pay a wage of X, but it doesn't mean you are worth X personally. The company considers more than just the labor they are purchasing. Namely, the opportunity costs of offering less and being threatened with work stoppage. Could you justify your wage without the backing of a collective bargaining agreement?

What would the prevailing wage be without the coercive influence of collective bargaining? I'm betting it would be lower than X.

Indiana is right to work and companies are still hiring union trades to do their work. So stfu already. If we were not worth it why would we still be getting hired, even in right to work states?
    :laugh: They don't call it crony capitalism for nothing.

Are These ceos your talking so highly about that stupid, that they cant figure out to hire non union for a cheaper wage? No. Its because they know union trades are well trained and worth their wage. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but you need to get over it.
    Right, because there are never any other factors influencing the decision.

I must ask, how many raises have you ever turned down, due to you thinking you make enough?
    Completely irrelevant. In the first place, the raises are offered voluntarily by the employer and therefore come with the de facto admission that the employee is worth the raise. In the second place, even if I didn't think I did work at a level to justify the wage/raise, I would be ignoring my best interest, additional factors notwithstanding, to refuse it.

When a huge chuck of your workers are united and can make the decision to close down your factory and cost the company a fortune there isn't much of choice as to what to pay them. That is the inherent problem with unions. As a group they can bully employers into horrible positions.

They can only do so because they have the backing of the government. While I don't have much use for unions--and wouldn't operate a union business--I don't mind their existence if the employers had the right to say "**** you, get back to work or you're all fired." The government's intrusion into the contractual nature of the employer/employee with regards to unions/collective bargaining has eliminated one of the foundational tenets of free market capitalism. It has picked a winner which is something the government should never be doing.

Incidentally, to whomever might be able to help me out here, I'm still waiting for that list of rights relating to employment mentioned early on in the thread.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That is a matter of opinion sir, I think licking the desk is a very reasonable punishment for graffiting tax payer property. If a police officer would have seen the student doing that to park equipment the fine would be much much heftier. So I would say that having to lick your desk clean of the graffiti that was placed on it is well worth it as a punishment.
    Guess you would be ok with your son/daughter licking a doorknob as well? Anytime I caught my kids licking things I told them to stop because that's nasty and a desk is a lot nastier than some of the things I told my kids to keep out of their mouths. Other kids sweat, snot, spit and God knows what else may be on that desk.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Really? Licking the desk is appropriate punishment to you?

The problem is our society has stopped the appropriate punishment for such behavior which would have been a good paddling and then made to clean it up. That is what would have happened when I was in school. But today's parents just freak out when junior gets disciplined like he should be. My parents would have just given me another whipping when I got home to reinforce the discipline.

Top Bottom