• Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    DANG IT! Too busy doing real work to fire that off. :xmad:

The 10mm seems be a pretty popular hog gun. Other than cool factor and hunting, there's not much else; not that there's anything wrong with only a gun for the cool factor.

It's a very capable round. I think it would do nicely against your average home invader, etc.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I read in another thread where a guy has a "dance hall" gun. I am now deeply concerned about my lack of same. I need a new gun!

Glock23od

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First off I want to thank everyone for the input and I'm really leaning on getting the 10mm. I don't reload yet but as soon as I'm not working 6-7 days a week I plan to learn about it. I have my g23 for a range gun or 30sf so this would be just an occasional carry and once in a while fun at the range.

Glock23od

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And I seen that you can get a new barrel and go to .40 cal. Can you also go to .357 sig? This may be a dumb question to most but it's never to late to learn. Lol

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    And I seen that you can get a new barrel and go to .40 cal. Can you also go to .357 sig? This may be a dumb question to most but it's never to late to learn. Lol

The Glock 20 can use a LWD .40 bbl drop in, no magazine changes needed. A lighter spring MAY be needed for weak .40 rounds but regular rounds shoot just fine. You can also get .357sig, 9x25, 9x19, and 38super bbls for the G20 but I don't know what magazines are needed.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

Glock23od

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok that's good to know. I'll do some research on that too. With the .40 cal drop in I'd have to .40 cal guns and when I want to have the stopping power of the 10mm just a quick barrel change.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    10MM is one of the most versatile rounds out there. 135 grain to 200 grain projectiles. Low and High loadings.

Plus, unlike the other handgun calibers, 10MM really steps up out of a carbine length barrel. There are rifle loads that don't perform as well as 10MM out of a 16" barrel

It's not THAT expensive. It's on par with 45ACP.

10MM is the best performing auto handgun load out there.

Glock23od

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ya I'm not really all that worried about the cost of ammo. I don't plan on taking it to the range every weekend. My other question tho is, how hard is it to find the ammo?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Ya I'm not really all that worried about the cost of ammo. I don't plan on taking it to the range every weekend. My other question tho is, how hard is it to find the ammo?

You aren't going to find it at Walmart. But even during the last two ammo shortages it was available, at times when, 9mm, .45acp, and .40S&W were not.

Plan a little ahead and having ammo won't be an issue. Just avoid DoubleTap like the crap it is.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You won't find 10mm plinking ammo at Walmart or Meijer's but it's usually available at a lot of other shops. For SD ammo, a lot of gun shops will carry a few boxes of it, but you can also buy online at a decent cost. Underwood sells a strong SD round that's cheap enough (about $34 per 50) to practice with. Check around before you buy though. Elmore's, in Greenwood, was charging something like $44 per box for target rounds a while back. I have no idea if that was their normal price or just their ammo shortage special price though.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

This is the ammo I'd recommend buying. "NEW" 10MM 180GR FULL METAL JACKET - Georgia Arms

Georgia Arms used or at least used to use Starline brass. So you get a bunch of quality ammo you can shoot up and save the brass for when you start reloading. Otherwise, just get on an ammoseek.com or any other ammo finding search engine and start looking for something cheaper.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Man I gotta get me a .40 barrel for mine - which one do you suggest?

Just the stock length LWD. I had to polish the chamber to get it to reliably feed (LWD says this might be an issue) because it is a very tight chamber, but I am also only shooting reloads, factory ammo fed fine without polishing.

You can borrow mine for a bit if you want to try it out.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Just the stock length LWD. I had to polish the chamber to get it to reliably feed (LWD says this might be an issue) because it is a very tight chamber, but I am also only shooting reloads, factory ammo fed fine without polishing.

You can borrow mine for a bit if you want to try it out.

Soon as I build up my rat-hole money again - I'm definitely doing that. I don't own a .40! How'd that happen?!

Top Bottom