• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I was wanting to get your opinions on the pros of using a 44 mag rifle to hunt deer over using the ole 12 gauge. I'm new to the forum so I hope this hasn't been covered to death already. Some people I talk to say the 44 has no knockdown power , others that it's a near perfect round for Indiana hunting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note: I'm not a hunter

But with the average set-up, a .44mag rifle can out-distance a smooth-bore 12ga lobbing in rifled slugs.

By the same measure, you can probably slightly out-distance a .44 mag with a rifle barreled 12ga drilling in sabot slugs.

To my understanding, it's really just personal preference. Can get a relatively small and light .44mag. Or you can get a relatively small and light 12ga slug gun.

If you want something different, by a .44 mag. You can actually "plink" with that using .44spc or down loading a .44mag to .44spc velocity.

-J-

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I like my .44 marlin because it's more accurate, and cheaper to feed than my 12 ga, but I've killed deer with both this season and even though I'm pushing a 240 XTP almost 1650fps out of the marlin- with identical shot placement at near identical range (50-60yds) the trusty 870 shooting Brenekee 2 3/4" magnum slugs seems to put them down with a little quicker.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've used both so far as well, IMO the 44 will perform just as well as a Foster type slug without as much recoil and with greater accuracy. The one thing I've noticed in the few deer I've shot with the 44 so far is that the blood trail is not as nearly great as it is with a 12 slug (and I'm comparing boiler room shots). Now, in my experience, I believe the 12 gauge sabot type slugs will kill quicker than a 44, but at close to $3 per shot you can't practice with them anywhere near as much like you could with a 44.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have hunted with both and now use the Marlin. Accuracy is what counts and I can practice a lot with the Marlin using cast lead slugs. The Marlin killed two yotes 1-2 yesterday with quick accurate shot placement.:)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    at close to $3 per shot you can't practice with them anywhere near as much like you could with a 44.

This is why I made the switch. I used to have a bolt action savage 12ga with a scope and it was very accurate, but it was $3 everytime I pulled the trigger and the recoil was horrible even with a limbsaver put on it.

The 44mag I use is a Puma 92 and it's less than $0.30 a round with handloaded 240gr XTP/HP. I've only taken one deer with it, but I'll never question it's power after seeing that deer go down. With iron sights it's good to go out to 150 yards max.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    My dad has hunted with a Marlin .44 mag as well as some ruger revolvers. I like them and they are fun, but I prefer the ol' 12g.

I use Hornady SST slugs in my 870 and have great accuracy. Ballistics are pretty good too. Muzzle velolicy is 2,000 fps with a 300grain bullet. Energy is rated at 2196.

At 200 yards it is rated at 1341 fps and 1198 for energy.

Looking at Hornady's FTX .44 mag 225 grain: Muzzle velocity is 1410 fps and energy is 993 At 100 yards were down to 1104 fps and 609 for energy.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Shot placement is far more important than the caliber or gauge. So if you will put in more trigger time becoming proficient with the 44 that is the way to go. I would recommend using a heavy bullet rather than the cheap white box for hunting but the cheap stuff is fine for practice...just remember to make sure your sights are set for the hunting load when the time comes. If you buy a Marlin 270gr bullets is about it, but with other rifles using a faster twist rate these 340's from Buffalo will do a great jobs...

Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    I read an article in Guns and Ammo where the author did a pretty good real world "brush gun" test. The top finisher was a .44 mag rifle. One of the lowest, if not the lowest was the 12 guage slug. Interestingly, everyone's favorite "brush gun", the 30-30 also finished very poorly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was wanting to get your opinions on the pros of using a 44 mag rifle to hunt deer over using the ole 12 gauge. I'm new to the forum so I hope this hasn't been covered to death already. Some people I talk to say the 44 has no knockdown power , others that it's a near perfect round for Indiana hunting.

I own both. I shoot factory shells and reload for both. I've killed several deer with the 44 from a revolver, several from an NEF single shot rifle. I've killed a lot more with a 12 gauge shotgun about half of them with sabots and half with foster slugs from a smooth bore.

You've got to have a good hit on them with either one or they are going to run. I'd consider either one of them to be honest 100 yard guns and beyond that a one shot kill where they fall on their own shadow starting to involve a lot of luck. Of course the more you shoot the more likely some one is to get lucky and have the "I killed one at umb bumba yards with my..." I see an awful lot of wounded deer and carcass's in the woods by January considering how few wounded one threads there are on the internet.

One advantage I'd give to the 12 gauge shot gun is a shot on the front shoulder if that's all you've got. I think a good heavy slug or heavy sabot will penetrate both those shoulder joints and make that finishing shot a gimmee. I doubt I'd ever even try it with the 44.

44 has less recoil but it's not recoil free or like shooting a 22 as I've seen claimed some places but it is a light rifle I'm using it in. That's an advantage to the 44 in the NEF at least. That thing is like nothing on your back if you are packing it on a sling and very easy carrying and climbing trees with it. I made a leather shell holder to carry any extra shells in the sling and the smaller amo is noticably easier to carry a couple extras. Haven't needed a second shot on any thing I've pulled the trigger on with that rifle. You could shoot it all day and not develope a flinch and with the light "pet" loads 8.5 of Unique and a 240 grain lead bullet it feels like a BB gun. I wouldn't consider those hunting loads for deer but they'll sure hurt anything you hit with one.

On the other hand the 870 has more than a season's worth of kills loaded in the magazine. It's heavy.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    44 Marlin

The 44 marlin doesn't have near the recoil kick of my 12 gauge (Shurshot stock and Remmy Limbsaver pad - good looking!). 44 is cheaper to fire per shot. Accurate. It just doesn't make as big a hole. But, it will do the job nicely. Can't overlook the cool factor of the lever action. :)

This older shoulder now votes for the 44 Marlin vs the 12ga. (But I still like my Remmy 870 20ga with the Hastings ported barrel.)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I had a 1894 .44 mag that I sold to another member since I don't get to hunt gun season very much due to work. I was already buying a new muzzleloader to use for both seasons and have a 870 as well. So I decided the .44 mag wasn't needed and used it to fund another purchase.

Out to 100 yards I thought it was very accurate with Hornady ammo. The biggest plus I think of the 1894 is how light it was compared to my muzzleloader and 870. I could free hand shoot it much better and it was a joy to take up into the treestand.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    I really want to try the 44 now. I've been shooting my Ithaca 37 featherlight deerslayer for 20 plus years but it doesn't have a rifled barrel so not much good past 90 yards. Dead on 50 to 75 but I want to go farther.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I think the FTX data is from a pistol. It should be around 1800 fps from a rifle. Also, I doubt you will actually get 2000 fps from the SST slug. I would bet if you chronograph it, it is closer to 1800 fps. It's like when they list bow speeds. You never get what they advertise in real life. For shotguns with slugs, they use like a 30"+ barrel to get the max velocities and then publish it.

My dad has hunted with a Marlin .44 mag as well as some ruger revolvers. I like them and they are fun, but I prefer the ol' 12g.

I use Hornady SST slugs in my 870 and have great accuracy. Ballistics are pretty good too. Muzzle velolicy is 2,000 fps with a 300grain bullet. Energy is rated at 2196.

At 200 yards it is rated at 1341 fps and 1198 for energy.

Looking at Hornady's FTX .44 mag 225 grain: Muzzle velocity is 1410 fps and energy is 993 At 100 yards were down to 1104 fps and 609 for energy.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    This is why I made the switch. I used to have a bolt action savage 12ga with a scope and it was very accurate, but it was $3 everytime I pulled the trigger and the recoil was horrible even with a limbsaver put on it.

The 44mag I use is a Puma 92 and it's less than $0.30 a round with handloaded 240gr XTP/HP. I've only taken one deer with it, but I'll never question it's power after seeing that deer go down. With iron sights it's good to go out to 150 yards max.

And that is a spot on assessment of the inherit value in the 44 VS 12G platform, providing you roll your own loads. I have to think your more prone to off season target use as well and really getting to know and shooting a 44 more than your fall season only use slug gun.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Your right about that I only get the 12 out to make sure it's performing as it should before firearms season. Most years if I get a buck with my bow I won't go with a firearm. The slug guns use is very limited.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom