• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I use a Winchester 12 gauge or a 45 colt lever action for deer. Also use my 45 colt blackhawk or ruger 357 mag revolvers. Where I usually hunt I am not shooting past 200 yards, usually not past 50 or so. I enjoy using any of them really, lever action is lighter than shotgun by a bit and revolvers are on my side so no biggie there. It's all fun. :)

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have also used both. Actually started with the Marlin 44 mag when I moved to Indiana 7 years ago because I never had a shot gun. I was use to rifles as this is what I used back in PA. It felt pretty much the same as a 30-30 with just slightly less distance. I also like my smooth bore shotgun with just a bead if I am still hunting with a lot of brush. Target aquistition is quicker. I typically bring both a shot gun and my 44 and decide what to use right before I go in.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Some people I talk to say the 44 has no knockdown power

What! Have they never watched Dirty Harry?:D

Whoever is saying this has no idea of what they're talking about. The 44 mag has taken every game animal on the planet, including the African big five, with a revolver.

I switched last year to my 1894ss in 44 from my 1894c (357) for deer. Didn't really see any difference in killing ability, but I will credit the 44 for leaving massive blood trails against the 357. I've reached a point in my life that I appreciate easier tracking.

I can also add that one needs to be really careful on shot placement (as always) with the 44. Last year I used Hornady flex tip stuff and cracked one right in the shoulder. Deer went down about 10 yards from where she was shot, both shoulders lost= less meat to eat. I'm going with a homerolled 240gr hardcast this year.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with above! Anyone who questions the .44 and "knockdown power" is speaking out of ignorance. The .44 out of a rifle turns into a different animal giving around 300 fps more than a revolver. For Pete's sake Indiana whitetail are not cape buffalo! It doesn't take 2300 ft./lbs. to kill one. Oh, by the way... the .44 has taken the African big 5 multiple times through a revolver. It'll work on a deer!:) Buy the Marlin and you'll never look back!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Using a Marlin Model 1894 for deer hunting this season for the first time....

Based on what I have seen at the range, this should be much more enjoyable than a slug gun.

Top Bottom