• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little John

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    I just bought a Marlin 1894ss and look forward to deer hunting with it. Sabot loads for my 12ga. were costing so much that it took the fun out of it. I like the idea of less recoil also because my sixty year old bones are objecting to the shotgun. I understand that the .44 may not have as much knock down power as the 12ga. What would be the best placement for a .44 mag. with the 240 grain bullets. The heart, neck, or head. My 12ga. kills have always been heart shots.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Put the sights on the vitals and send it. I got a 10 point 140 class buck with mine and it went about 50 yards...mostly downhill and rolling. I took a doe this past season that was facing me. The 44 knocked her 180 degrees in the air onto her back. I am no longer worried about "enough knockdown power" with the 44. Also, balistics are similar to a muzzleloader. I get 1730 fps with a 240XTP and the ML shooting 100 gns and a 250 FTX gets about 1850fps.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    i'm far from being an expert, but i've killed a few deer with a .44 mag and a 12 gauge. i aways go for a little high heart shot. even if your shots off a bit you have a good chance of hitting a kill area. both will punch a nice hole in a deer. the .44 mag will reach out farther and flatter. :twocents:

Last edited:

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Marlin 1894

Can't go wrong w/ a good heart shot. Took a young buck last year using Win Whitebox ammo, ran 50 yd and went down. Good shot placement does the job.
    I've used both a 12ga and 20ga, you'll like the 44 mag.
    I've been impressed with the Marlin 1894. In my Marlin, I liked the grouping with WWB, but I'm going to work on some XTP reloads too. If the XTP price bothers you, try out the WWB.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I use a marlin 1894 with a 4x32 tasco scope and hunt exclusively with
    WWB 240 gr. JSP ammo. I have taken deer out to 100 yrds with 1 shot. I have always had a pass thru even at 100 yrds. I sold my old slug gun because I won't go back to using a 12 ga. after using the 44, cheaper ammo, little recoil and very accurate. I say go for it, you won't be disappointed!

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I've hunted with slug guns for the last 32+ years. I've killed my share of deer with them, and I've missed my share as well.

After wanting an Indiana legal deer rifle since they were legalized several years ago, I finally purchased an H&R Handi Rifle in .44 Remington Magnum last year.

The reason I hadn't purchased one before last year was the price of the Marlins, Winchester, Henry, Rossi's and so forth at $500 plus dollars.

I don't think I'll ever pick up my slug gun again ! There is almost no recoil to the .44 Magnum when fired from the Handi rifle. The cost of ammo is cheaper, which allows you to practice in the off season.

If you reload, the cost is even less. I'm a big fan of Elmer Keith and his thoughts on using cast lead bullets. I plan on reloading some ammo this fall using true "Keith Style" cast lead bullets. These should prove deadly on Whitetail Deer. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll direct you to some great reading on using "Keith Style" cast lead bullets.

Try the Handi rifle as your first deer rifle, either in .44 Remington Magnum, .357 Magnum, or, if you can find one, in .357 Maximum. I recommend the synthetic stock and forearm version.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Fred

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I purchased a .44 for next deer season after using a 12 GA 870 with a rifled barrel because for me recoil, accuracy, and ammo cost was all better.

IMHO shot placement is much more inmportant than knock down power. I was shooting 12 GA Remmington Copper Solids which run $16-$17 per 5 rds. That being the case it would cost me almost $35 to sight my gun in and the recoil was a killer. For that price I can buy 50 rds of WWB .44 Mag JSPs and not feel like my shoulder got hit by a truck.

I feel like the lower cost and recoil of the .44 allows me to practice more and therefor be more accurate which outwieghs any advantages of the 12 GA.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My puma 92 44mag has one 8pt buck to it's credit that I took using a handloaded 240gr XTP/HP bullet. This year, I may end up hunting with some gas checked 320gr hard cast bullets that should be able to kill anything on earth under 100 yards. I just hope I actually get to go out hunting and see something for a change.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I hunt almost every day of all the seasons for deer and I also hunt with multiple calibers. In my opinion the 44 mag is the gun of choice. For the weight your not going to find a gun that holds more rounds, it is more accurate than a 12 gauge, cheaper to shoot and easier to take fallow up shots with. I still like my 12 but it only has one aspect that is superior and that is knockdown power, although the 44 mag still has plenty. It doesn't take a lot to kill a deer with proper shot placement. If a bow shooting a 300 grain arrow with only 35 pounds of pull behind it will kill a deer almost any firearm will do the job although for ethical purposes I personally wouldn't shoot anything under a 357 mag even if we were allowed.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Do you also believe it when, in the movies, guys fly backwards 10' when hit with a load of 12ga buckshot?

As you stated, you are not a hunter. I have switched 2 years ago and dropped the slug guns. I have no problem believing Shooter1054. I use a Ruger SRH with a 9.5" barrel and a Winchester Trapper 16" lever gun, both in 44, lighter and shorter than all get out and go for the neck. Every hit has either knocked them backwards and down or just plain dropped them. Not that my slug guns won't do the same under 100 yards, but the 44 is cheaper, less recoil, less expensive and noticeably lighter to aim and haul around.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do you also believe it when, in the movies, guys fly backwards 10' when hit with a load of 12ga buckshot?

Why would you even question what he's saying or try to imply that it's some hollywood stunt? I watch a lot of hunting shows and from my own experience and that of other hunters who I know and can trust I have no reason to believe what he's saying isn't true. While it may not be the norm, animals do react differently when shot.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Always disliked the giant 'overkill' hole in so many deer at the deer proccessor.Its a big heavy clumsy thing to carry a shotgun in the woods,over fences,up trees. A .44 pistol is much safer getting up a tree in the holster & always a 1st shot kill. Used to everyone that hunted done it with a shotgun if they didnt bow hunt.People just got to think a shotgun was THE weapon to use,today its changing, single shot pistols paved the way for revolers which paved the way for pistol calibers in rifles,shotguns will slowly die out & that old thinking.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Some people I talk to say the 44 has no knockdown power , others that it's a near perfect round for Indiana hunting.

I have shot 4 deer with my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. 2does and 2 bucks, including one very large 11 pointer. All one shot kills, all dropped within sight of my stand. The 11 pointer made it the farthest he ran about 50 yards before he piled up. The last doe dropped in her tracks, when I opened her up it looked like a bomb had gone off inside her. This is all with a 7.5 inch barreled handgun. I think it is the perfect round for deer in Indiana. I woukd really like to see what a rifle in 44 mag would do.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I consider myslef a fairly competinet shooter and hunter and I've hunted deer in indiana for 30 years I've seen more hits than I can count considering my hits and friends and family and shot placement has to be there but all other things considered

I think you will find more 44 rifles that shoot 1/2 minute of deer than 12 ga slugs, You will be able to practice more and enjoy it more and ability to hit your target is the winner.

Plus the ruger 77/44 is so super cool to hunt with

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I would really like to see what a rifle in 44 mag would do.

This is the exit wound on a huge doe from a 16" barreled lever 44 mag using 240gr CorBon Hunter Ammo at a distance of 65'ish yards taking a neck shot. Needless to say, She dropped right where she stood.

dsc05188z.jpg

Top Bottom