• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mfirem19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Grant County
    Why would any company manufacture a gun then dry the ammo up? This ammo has been MIA for a long time now. Keep hearing stories of a shipment is coming, the workers were on strike, etc.... Love the five seven guns just can't stand not finding ammo. Oh and yes this ammo was MIA long before the gun craze. so those of you now finding .223 and other ammo hard to get join my world....

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It would be nice to know the truth about why FNH and others can't come up with ammo. Considering what they went through to make the PS-90 such that ATF would allow us to have a neutered version of the P-90, you would think FNH would at least make ammo for it and it's pistol sidekick easier to come by.

Federal supposedly makes some but they too are missing in action, and from the performance numbers of the Federal, about 600 FPM slower than the FNH, it barely rates as plinking ammo.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Last Friday I picked up 2 boxes of SS197 at my LGS and he had 3 left on the shelf. The week before he had 11 boxes. Yesterday morning, I ordered 10 boxes of SS197 from Cabelas and they were in stock. Don't know if it is still in stock or not.

Last fall, I picked up some Federal American Eagle 40gr fmj to try it out (also from Cabelas). The avg velocity was 5 fps faster than the current production SS197 ammo.

It is out there for a fair price but goes quickly once the hoarders identify the location. You may want to check Legacy Outdoors. Early yesterday they had SS197 in stock for $20.99/box but evidently quickly ran out. They were taking backorders but charge your card to hold your place in line. They indicated that they expected delivery on 1/26/13.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Last Friday I picked up 2 boxes of SS197 at my LGS and he had 3 left on the shelf. The week before he had 11 boxes. Yesterday morning, I ordered 10 boxes of SS197 from Cabelas and they were in stock. Don't know if it is still in stock or not.

Last fall, I picked up some Federal American Eagle 40gr fmj to try it out (also from Cabelas). The avg velocity was 5 fps faster than the current production SS197 ammo.

It is out there for a fair price but goes quickly once the hoarders identify the location. You may want to check Legacy Outdoors. Early yesterday they had SS197 in stock for $20.99/box but evidently quickly ran out. They were taking backorders but charge your card to hold your place in line. They indicated that they expected delivery on 1/26/13.

Just checked Cabela's website and 5.7x28 ammo isn't even listed. I must be searching wrong. :):

Nope went back and can't find it. Surprised that they would pull the listing even if they are out of it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    OK, did a google search on 5.7x28 ammo and the first listing was Cabela's!!! Opened it and it says that 5.7x28 is not available online and to call their customer service.

Oooooo Kay.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Dear Lord, just checked Gunbroker, $1.00 per round is now cheap!!! Glad I bought some when it was 35 cents per round!

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    This is why you don't buy the new taticool caliber until it's well established. It was expensive before this mess, and now?

Hardly, remember 4 years ago when 380ACP became popular again & the ammo was virtually non-existent for months. It just took time for mfg to catch up. The FsN & PS90 became very popular last year when they were featured on Top Shots & Top Guns. The guns started becoming harder to get followed shortly by the ammo. Before then, I remember 5.7 being widely available and for prices less than 45ACP.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    For those that have 5.7 pistols right now it would prob be in your best interest to sell now while you can if you have no ammo for it. Ive heard from more than one big gun store that they were told by FN that they are no longer making ammo for it. The only place that you can get it is gun broker or armslist and your going to pay more than a dollar per round

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    For those that have 5.7 pistols right now it would prob be in your best interest to sell now while you can if you have no ammo for it. Ive heard from more than one big gun store that they were told by FN that they are no longer making ammo for it. The only place that you can get it is gun broker or armslist and your going to pay more than a dollar per round

Not only can I not believe FNH would not support their customers, I gave up believing what I heard in gun stores a long time ago.

Edit: Just checked FNH-USA and they still show 5.7x28 ammo and say nothing about it going away.

In fact: http://www.fnhusa.com/r/support/support_faq_tabs/
    Scroll down to the Five-seveN questions for the full story as told by FNH-USA

Last edited:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    there are an assload of organizations that love 5.7mm, including the US secret service.
    more than 40 nations use the FiveSeven as a sidearm, and as many use the P90.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    HavokCycle, you think FNH is pulling a Colt and telling US civilians to go to heck?

Seems possible if not probable.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not know if FN is making ammo scarce or not. I assure you, in the overall scope of things, you are meaningless to them.

If a manufacturer primarily makes products that are mostly purchased by governments, they usually have only a minor stake in the consumer market. It is not the first time such a company would sacrifice a realitively few private customers to please the issuer of a huge contract. I can see where this is an even bigger deal if you are a foreign international vendor. Since the UN openly wants us disarmed, and the idiot in the white house wants us disarmed, where do you think long term profit potential rests? Such a firm could not stay in business worrying about several thousand individuals buying one or two pistols and risk upsetting a government contract that is worth 100's of millions, if not billions of dollars.

We have to face it, they are "not just that into you"

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is the major issue with 5.7x28, your tied to FN. Even Federal, uses FN casings.

380ACP is a poor example. It is a resurgence of a round that had been made since before WWII (Sometimes known as 9mm corto). So while the ammo makers weren't making much of it, they all had the tooling collecting dust in their back rooms. It was just a matter of dragging it out and setting it up.

With 5.7x28, it requires brand new tooling. A much more costly and time involved process. And with a few 5.7 firearms, one of which is multi thousand dollars in cost, and the FN pistol is over a grand. There are only a other few weapons using the round to (some AR types and other obscure stuff)

It's the new taticool round and the LE and Mil users get first crack at FN production.

The big hold back to the 5.7x28 is the on going feud with H&K and the 4.6x30, both rounds a to replace the 9mm in Nato. But which one? That is the problem right now. I wish the US would stand up get this feud resolved. But the US seems happy with 9mm. But anyone making 4.6x30 ISN'T making 5.7x28, and vice versa.

Last edited:

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I fail to see how a cartridge that has existed since 1990 is "new". For the mathematically impaired, that is 23 years old. Regardless, the current shortage is caused by the increased popularity of the round and the guns that shoot it. The supply just needs to catch up with the demand, just as the 380ACP shortage did 4 years ago.

Top Bottom