• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I fail to see how a cartridge that has existed since 1990 is "new". For the mathematically impaired, that is 23 years old. Regardless, the current shortage is caused by the increased popularity of the round and the guns that shoot it. The supply just needs to catch up with the demand, just as the 380ACP shortage did 4 years ago.

It never will unless someone else then FN makes it, Only FN makes the casings.

It takes a heck of a lot less time to dust off unused 380ACP tooling, then to lay out money to design new 5.7 tooling for a round that only works in expensive firearms.

Even Privi Partizan doesn't make it, and they make rounds for just about everything.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't see any indications of anyone else tooling up ether, so you tie yourself to a single source supplier with this round.

I don't see that changing with the Germans and Belgians trying to get their round adopted and the US Army just using 9mm.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Moose you seem to really dislike the 5.7. Do you really dislike it or?

I doubted it until I tried it in a pistol. I enjoyed it so much I got an AR upper. EVERYONE that has fired it says it is their favorite. It is so much fun to shoot.

Not everyone buys something to be taticool. It is an enjoyable round to shoot ALL day and when it was $20 per 50 it was a better deal than shooting my AR10.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    5.7x28 is a good round. I have no problem with its technical characteristics or it's ballistic performance.

I have an issue being tied to the whims of one ammo maker. FN. This current situation bares this out. Never tie yourself down to where you can only get your rounds from one place.

5.7x28 has really been a victim of Nato politics. Belgium wants the 5.7x28 to replace 9mm. Germany has enough clout to block any standardization because they want 4.6x30, and the US and others just don't care because they don't want to spend the money to change over everything from 9mm.

We will see what happens, right now the countries are forsaking standardization. Germany is going ahead with theirs, Belgium with theirs, and most just stick with 9mm

I have surely never seen 4.6x30 in this country on the other hand.

But we are talking about a pistol type cartridge here, while ultra important for spec ops, pistols are not anything but self defense on the main battlefield. And outside of spec ops, the pistol caliber carbine isn't a main battle weapon anymore. Anyone who is fighting battles has 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 on the nato side.

I do hope someone else does step up and make the 5.7x28 independent of FN. If they can, Does FN have the cartridge patented or the like? Must be a reason Federal gets casings from FN

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Thanks for the great answer! I really hope someone steps up and makes one as well. You never want all your eggs in one basket and you hit the nail on the head, that is what has happened.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    The Cable's # was JC-215995 but it now shows no longer available so they must be out.

Okay; guys on the FN forum have stated within the past hour that they called Cabelas and ordered 5.7 SS197 ammo using the above number. It is not on their website and you have to call. Price is $23.99 / box and there is a $20 off of $150 order that you will get from their website.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good to know you can still get 5.7 ammo, save your brass, I know at least two people who successfully reload it. 10 or 15 years from now it may be really important. A firearm without brass is not much use. Try to find Weatherby or Lazzeroni brass these days.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I missed the $20 off by a day:xmad:.

But, it's available via the website today.:rockwoot:
    Order placed. :yesway:

My "Cabela's-foo " is pretty bad. Searched 5.7x28 and only firearms, a holster and mags came up. Searched handgun ammo and didn't see it listed, searched...

Do you have a link to where you ordered it? :)::)::):

Thanks

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, I just searched JC-215995.

About time I find some of this stuff. I bought an AR57 and could only find a box of 40 rounds at a LGS. I like how it ejects through the magwell, no more chasing brass!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny that if you don't know the part number, you can search until your Five-seveN rots and you won't find it on Cabela's website.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Indykid I will take that rep whenever you want....

ericpwp I love my 5.7 too! I get strange looks at the range as I load a magazine on the top and a AR mag without the feedlips into the magwell.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    lol I am glad that I was able to help. I was feeling the strain until yesterday. I should thank everyone above my posts!

Gotta help those who love the 5.7!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I was going to do the mag trick, but they are worth so much now!

Yeah you have a good point. However, the one I used was broken. Someone had smashed it and it no longer fed even with a new spring and follower so it worked out well.

I bet you could find a broken one. I will give you a mag for a box of ammo :D

Top Bottom