• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If cost is a major concern, 9mm is cheaper over the long haul.

Is it safe to assume you have tested the desired gun(s) in both calibers and you are accurate with both?

I carry the 45 and use the 9mm for range time and training classes where ammo count is high.

As to the 40, IMHO the 40 is less desirable. It has more kick and not a significant increase in stopping power. Just not a fan of that particular round. I know many like it, I just prefer the 9mm and .45 over it.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    If cost is a major concern, 9mm is cheaper over the long haul.

Is it safe to assume you have tested the desired gun(s) in both calibers and you are accurate with both?

I carry the 45 and use the 9mm for range time and training classes where ammo count is high.

As to the 40, IMHO the 40 is less desirable. It has more kick and not a significant increase in stopping power. Just not a fan of that particular round. I know many like it, I just prefer the 9mm and .45 over it.

Tested both, very accurate. If I had the money, I would by both and solve the problem, lol!

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I know for a fact my acquisition is slower with the 45, especially a follow up shot. I guess my question is, shooting a target at 10 feet, is the velocity or penetration of a 9mm better than a 45 or at that distance is it not going to make a difference? I am not so much worried about the round count because the 45 does have 14rd capacity.
    Go for the nine....
    Hollow points for this caliber have come a long ways....
    Great expansion and permanent wound channel (and 45 guys... don't jump on my head.... I know yours is bigger... i am just saying 9mm has improved greatly) from XTP, Ranger, and my personal favorite the 124gr federal HST.
    When I fire at 10 feet.... 2 to the chest and one to the head.... The target WILL stop.....
    Cheaper to shoot and faster\more accurate in combat\defensive shooting....

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Go for the nine....
    Hollow points for this caliber have come a long ways....
    Great expansion and permanent wound channel (and 45 guys... don't jump on my head.... I know yours is bigger... i am just saying 9mm has improved greatly) from XTP, Ranger, and my personal favorite the 124gr federal HST.
    When I fire at 10 feet.... 2 to the chest and one to the head.... The target WILL stop.....
    Cheaper to shoot and faster\more accurate in combat\defensive shooting....

I think you pushed me closer to the 9mm

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Which are you more accurate with? I've said it before and I'll say it again. The biggest, badest, most technologically advanced bullet doesn't mean a thing if you can't put rounds on target. That said, for edc, I want the biggest round I can shoot effectively, and what gives me the best comprimise of stopping power and round count. For me, thats an XD40sc. Soon to be an XDM40 4.5. You must make you own decision.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Which are you more accurate with? I've said it before and I'll say it again. The biggest, badest, most technologically advanced bullet doesn't mean a thing if you can't put rounds on target. That said, for edc, I want the biggest round I can shoot effectively, and what gives me the best comprimise of stopping power and round count. For me, thats an XD40sc. Soon to be an XDM40 4.5. You must make you own decision.

Accuracy is the same, acquisition is slower with 45 follow ups.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    How often do you go to the range? If it's two to three times a month, you may want to really examine if the cost of ammo is really an issue. If you go six to eight times a month, then you are getting into some money, depending on the number of round you expend each trip.

I go to the range 2-3 times a week, but I only expend an average of 50 rounds. That would be $36 in 9mm and maybe $54 in 45 a week. Looking at this, and if cost were the main issue, I would probably have to go with the 9mm.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have shot and own both. If given a chance try to shoot each and then make the decision. A heavier frame will help the recoil on the .45 while you can carry a smaller 9mm which you will probably do most of the time. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    While looking at the other posts, the .45 does have considerable more stopping power. A lot of bad guys will not wear armour and I firmly believe in a double tap method.

Last edited:

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I own both calibers & one of the main issues for me(&no one has mentioned it yet)is the 45 is so damn loud. Idk bout u but I don't go walkng around with muffs on & if shtf I wanna have all the awareness I can of the situation...

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    45 even with body armour or under amour. There is a huge amount of energy transfer.

a 9mm 124gr+p runs about 390ft/lbs of energy and a 45ACP 230gr runs about 370ft/lbs of energy. There'll be some differences due to barrel length, ammo brand, etc, etc, etc, but the kinetic energy numbers aren't all that different.

Top Bottom