• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    .45, i think from a full size pistol it shoots the most comfortably. Plus you can brag about how big it is ha. but theres a reason hunters make sure theyve got a big enough round for the size game their hunting. I sometimes wonder if a 9mm will stop an angry drunk 240lb man in his tracks. Which of course it will if you have good enough aim. just some food for thought

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    From my experience: I have a glock 19 (9mm) and a 27 (.40) and have shot plenty of 45s (xdm, 1911, etc.)

I like the .40 the best for EDC, BUT I dont think you can go wrong with either of the 3 calibers. Dont go bigger because you feel under armed. 9mm HP ammo is perfectly fine to defend yourself.

9mm = cheap, easy to find, low recoil = better accuracy.

.40 = moderately cheap, easy to find, snappy recoil, best penetration vs size vs weight retention vs velocity vs expansion ratio IMHO.

.45= most expensive, but still not unaffordable, usually easy to find, "push" recoil, im more accurate with .45 than .40 but 9mm is the best. It makes big god damn holes.

Good luck!

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    .45, i think from a full size pistol it shoots the most comfortably. Plus you can brag about how big it is ha. but theres a reason hunters make sure theyve got a big enough round for the size game their hunting. I sometimes wonder if a 9mm will stop an angry drunk 240lb man in his tracks. Which of course it will if you have good enough aim. just some food for thought
    I'm a 250lb man and unless you hit me in the head or the heart.... I very well may not stop when hit by a 45 either.
    The 45 is NOT a magic bullet.... It is NOT big enough to hammer a man to the ground through shear kinetic energy alone.
    People stop for 3 reasons...
    One is psychological.... Being that the pain and emotional shock of being shot makes them stop when the could continue physically.
    2 is loss of blood pressure..... and no matter if it is a 9mm or 45 caliber hole... This is NOT and instant stop.... Lung shot, a big man could still close, take your gun, and beat you to death with it before passing out. Hell, he might even live if he stays calm and gets to the hospital quick.
    3..... Directly severing the central nervous system......
    That is the only absolute instant stop......

Though that being said... I am sure the debate will continue....

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have the XDM 9 and a XD45. Either pistol will be a good choice for you. I prefer the 45 acp, but spend most of my time shooting 9mm.

If I was in your shoes I would go with the 9mm. It will be cheaper to shoot and there is something about the 19 rd magazines.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Get the 9. When the political winds turn again (Obama gets another 2 SC appointments) and the war on guns and ammo accelerates the guys humping drugs across the southern border will start boot legging in ammo. Guess which is the most popular round in the world? Hint-it ain't the .45)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Get the 9. When the political winds turn again (Obama gets another 2 SC appointments) and the war on guns and ammo accelerates the guys humping drugs across the southern border will start boot legging in ammo. Guess which is the most popular round in the world? Hint-it ain't the .45)

This is rather prescient

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    cue the music.... ITS THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!

If youre looking at the 9mm, Id suggest looking at the Winchester Ranger prior to making a purchasing decision. The Ranger rounds are epic SD rounds and are as gnarly (IMOP) as a standard 45, but without the huge exit hole.

:+1: on the Winchester Ranger +P+ round! Those things have bite!

I used to laugh at 9mm rounds...'til my wife bought a Gen 2 Glock 19 (we found it NIB from Texas...built in 1989) about 6 months ago! What an awesome little round! I've done some testing with different rounds and the round I prefer, for PD, is the CorBon 125 grain JHP in 9mm! It's pretty hot, is accurate, and I can control my muzzle flip giving me better 2nd shot accuracy! I've been a .357mag fan for years...and I'm happy with the CorBons in 9mm...this is a big change for me...now I want a G-19!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom