• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The only thing I took from that article was Gabe is making me do something I really don't know how to do, so, let's get a plug in for an overpriced pos "fighting" knife.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    I ask because real world if you need more than 8 rds. there is a lot more trouble than most any of us will encounter.
    My point is simple....hit what you are trying to stop. No matter what gun you are using just get it on target.

Wisdom ^^

Revolvers are great too. Because if the problem ain't solved after 6rnds of .357 magnum, it can't be solved my mortal men.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I understand what you're saying, what about the shots you may miss? If you miss twice, you're down to 6 more shots. Is that still enough?

The Glock 26 I am carrying right now holds 10, but I'm still carrying a spare mag.

The number of rounds you have equals the amount of time you have in a gunfight.
    If I'm going to end up losing in a gunfight, it's not going to be because I didn't have enough ammo.

Good point. I carry 10 in my 1911. Plus 2 spare mags. Momma did not raise a fool.
    Seriously. Get on and maintain target. Hits will come. Pressure shots are tough. Adrenalin will get you amped up and may get you to push too hard.
    Practice, muscle memory, breathing. Easy to say but with practice comes muscle memory. I can get my side arm out and to the ready with just a thought. What happens from there I do not think any of us really want to experience.
    When we practice it is always front site point and shoot. Yes, we do some target shooting for beers but the drill is point and send 2.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    The number of rounds you have equals the amount of time you have in a gunfight.
    If I'm going to end up losing in a gunfight, it's not going to be because I didn't have enough ammo.

Not to be a dick, But who is your trainer and why are they teaching you this?

First rule of a gunfight: DON'T GET IN A GUNFIGHT
    Second rule of a gunfight: GET OUT OF THE GUNFIGHT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.
    Third rule of a gun fight: SURVIVE.

Rule three does not mean "winning" It means getting the **** out of there. If I'm in a bank that starts to get robbed, am I going to take the Gunfighter stance and draw down on the robbers? HELL NO! If I think I can use my pistol to get me and mine out of there in any way possible I'm going to use it. If not I sit down, shut up and wait for a chance to move. And when I move I'm only taking me and mine. Anyone else who chooses to try and follow will be responsible for their own asses. If they ain't armed that's their problem.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dumb. I carry a single pistol for self protection and self preservation. In real life who needs an arsenal in their pants?
    Depending who's real life you are talking about, say maybe the guy who received the near death beat down at the hands of multiple motorcyclists? Laying aside how that situation came to be, multiple aggressors, I'd want as many BBs as possible with which to service the targets, an extra mag is nice, but an extra pistol is even faster?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Rule three does not mean "winning" It means getting the **** out of there. If I'm in a bank that starts to get robbed, am I going to take the Gunfighter stance and draw down on the robbers? HELL NO! If I think I can use my pistol to get me and mine out of there in any way possible I'm going to use it. If not I sit down, shut up and wait for a chance to move. And when I move I'm only taking me and mine. Anyone else who chooses to try and follow will be responsible for their own asses. If they ain't armed that's their problem.

I get my information from instructors who know more than you.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

There is only one gunfight rule, SURVIVE! If you have to cheat to do so, so be it! While the don't get in a gunfight rule of gun fighting is quaint, sometimes you are in it no matter, so SURVIVE!

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    There is only one gunfight rule, SURVIVE! If you have to cheat to do so, so be it! While the don't get in a gunfight rule of gun fighting is quaint, sometimes you are in it no matter, so SURVIVE!

You are indeed correct. My Sensei from back in my days at Karate taught: First: Avoidance, Second: Deescalate Third: Survive. I have adapted his rules over the years but they fit most every conflict situation. If you can avoid a confrontation do so, If you can't avoid confrontation try not to let it come to blows, if you can't do either win or get away but survive.

"To let a confrontation come to blows is considered a failure already" is what I was taught all those years ago.

Not trying to sound like a "mall ninja" or anything. I never made it passed a yellow belt and I was only 10. But still words of wisdom that have stuck with me, that came from someone who knew More than I do.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not to be rude, but I personally don't care why Gabe Suarez or his cronies do anything.

I do think that pistols with MRDS are cool though. Wish I could afford one.

Serious question. Is there someone who you do care about how they do things? That is a little poorly worded. Do you just dislike Gabe, or do you figure trainers in general have nothing to offer?

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Yes you did.

You claimed that my logic in post #20 was wrong. And asked about where I get my training from.

Well, that's because in my opinion it is wrong. And whoever taught you that shouldn't be teaching anyone how to fight. Be it Hand to hand or otherwise. You basically said "The more rounds I have means, the more time I have in the fight". While that's all well and good if that's how you want to do things, but the long and short of it is, the longer you stay engaged the higher your chances of serious injury or death. The average gunfight is measured in seconds, and round counts are usually very, very low like less than 7 total rounds from both parties. So in reality you would better off spending the money you would've spent buying the second G19 on some nice, comfortable running shoes.

Shoot and move, engage quickly but disengage quicker. Remember survival is the goal. Not "Winning". Rounds on target from a fast deploy of the weapon, shoot on the move and then keep moving. That is what I was taught and it is how I train.

Just like hand to hand. Aim for the pain then run. Bridge of the nose, groin, pressure points. Engage quick, disengage quicker. Survive.

If you do things differently, that's fine. I was merely stating my opinion

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm going to send a letter to Larry Vickers, Pat Rogers, Farnham, Pincus and Yeager and all the other top tier instructors that they are wrong then.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    "In Suarez classes we teach you to stop the threat by shooting him or her to the ground, and this is where the Glock really shines. A standard Glock 19 magazine carries 15 rounds, plus one in the chamber! Stopping the threat by shooting the threat to the ground, may in some cases require a good portion of that capacity."

This is another thing. If your attacker is far enough away from you that you have the ability to "shoot them to the ground" You have more than enough time to get away from them. And a prosecutor will be very happy to point that fact out in court. In most cases if your being attacked and need your gun, your attacker will already be on top of you or within arms reach before you have a chance to respond. How are you going to "shoot them to the ground" if you are attacked from your blind spot, which you most likely will be? Not to many thugs will square up in front of you from a distance of 25yds and try to rob you that way. At least not the brighter ones.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    I'm going to send a letter to Larry Vickers, Pat Rogers, Farnham, Pincus and Yeager and all the other top tier instructors that they are wrong then.

Doesn't Yeager preach "Get Off The X" Shoot and move tactics? Pincus' is very similar. None of them tell you to square up in front of your attacker and rely on round count to get you home safe. I bet if you asked any of those instructors face to face whether its a better idea to shoot or move, all of them will say move.

We all already know Yeager will MOVE. All the way to the ditch and lay down.

Top Bottom