• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    This guy just sounds like a complete tool, preaching some sort of spray and pray ideology. Get that gun out of the holster and start shooting in the general direction of the threat, and don't worry about getting 'perfect' shots until you've completed your draw motion. If you're going to be doing that, it probably would be best to carry a whole lot of ammo, and maybe your defense lawyer, on your tacticool gun belt.

I agree with what others have said; this is the cowboy image that scares off a lot of people who might otherwise look at the average gun owner as a reasonable person.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is another thing. If your attacker is far enough away from you that you have the ability to "shoot them to the ground" You have more than enough time to get away from them. And a prosecutor will be very happy to point that fact out in court. In most cases if your being attacked and need your gun, your attacker will already be on top of you or within arms reach before you have a chance to respond. How are you going to "shoot them to the ground" if you are attacked from your blind spot, which you most likely will be? Not to many thugs will square up in front of you from a distance of 25yds and try to rob you that way. At least not the brighter ones.

You might want to quit while you are still not too far behind, you are just showing your ignorance now. As if we needed any more proof after you brought groin and pressure points into it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This guy just sounds like a complete tool, preaching some sort of spray and pray ideology. Get that gun out of the holster and start shooting in the general direction of the threat, and don't worry about getting 'perfect' shots until you've completed your draw motion. If you're going to be doing that, it probably would be best to carry a whole lot of ammo, and maybe your defense lawyer, on your tacticool gun belt.

I agree with what others have said; this is the cowboy image that scares off a lot of people who might otherwise look at the average gun owner as a reasonable person.

Other than calling the guy a tool, that is a pretty sensible post. I didn't get a spray and pray message from what he said, but I will readily admit that it can easily go down that road if we let it. Unfortunately poorly done FOF feeds that mentality IMHO. Most high capacity advocates are just coming from the angle that it is better to have the extra rounds and not need them. Not from the mindset of, well I have 15 rounds, guess I better use them all. Hyuck .

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Everybody's free to do what they want, but I'm guessing you might get the George Zimmerman treatment from prosecutors if you refer to yourself as a "modern gunfighter" and you're dual-wielding a couple of Glocks in the street like a John Woo movie.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This thread is one reason I love INGO. A few who posted here will understand why I made that comment. :)

As far as the article. Pretty standard stuff really. The opening is correct. 1911 was the standard, Glock is the new standard. Simple enough. "1911 is a two bad guy gun, Glock is a three bad guy gun". Author is prepared for six bad guys and honestly I have no problem with that. Personally I don't know the first thing about knife fighting and I don't particularly care to carry more stuff on my bat belt.

I did not get any spray and pray vibes from the author.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This is fun. What is this "get off the x" thing? I read that most modern self-defense shootings only take 1-2 shots. How do you all feel about derringers?

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    An old fella I admired (Pete) had survived WWII. He was down to 9 1/2 fingers and one eye, Shot 2 times and run through with a bayonet and survived malaria. The gentleman taught me how to reload and never one time bragged about how close he had come to death on the islands, beaches and other nasty ass places he was sent to. His take on it was if you need more than 5 your not in a firefight your in a war. Sure do miss that old guy and as times change we might need more than 5 as our enemies are home grown now without any honor and for the most part back shooters. Cary as you see fit just be able to hit your target. To boast of what you think you can do is just a boast. The sound of a projectile speeding by your head is a sound you wont soon forget. Since I am not a cop I don't see the need to run into a wasp nest just protect myself, family and loved ones. Good luck on any bad situations you get into but survive.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Other than calling the guy a tool, that is a pretty sensible post. I didn't get a spray and pray message from what he said, but I will readily admit that it can easily go down that road if we let it. Unfortunately poorly done FOF feeds that mentality IMHO. Most high capacity advocates are just coming from the angle that it is better to have the extra rounds and not need them. Not from the mindset of, well I have 15 rounds, guess I better use them all. Hyuck .

Yeah, guess that wasn't very nice of me. Pretty cranky without coffee as it turns out.

I completely agree that having extra rounds is a plus, and further, that carrying extra mags or an extra gun is very important in the event of a malfunction of some sort.

What I take issue with is the way that I interpreted the following:

"Initial hits might not be perfect, but any hit will certainly make the threat begin to reconsider his or her plan!"

I worry about a shot that "might not be perfect" puts others in the area at risk, and that one should consider that every round sent down range is potentially deadly to both an aggressor and anyone else in the line of fire. I'm not meaning to steer this in the direction of a four rules conversation, but wanted to highlight what I took issue with, which is the mentality that would have someone not trying to make every shot the best they're capable of.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    This is fun. What is this "get off the x" thing? I read that most modern self-defense shootings only take 1-2 shots. How do you all feel about derringers?

I read in Rolling Stone that Derringers are one of the most commonly used weapons in violent crime. I know this is certainly true in my local salloon.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    You might want to quit while you are still not too far behind, you are just showing your ignorance now. As if we needed any more proof after you brought groin and pressure points into it.

So when you get kicked in the groin it doesn't hurt you? It doesn't temporarily disorient you or otherwise remove your will to fight? Huh? Odd. Well buddy you must be a hell of a tough dude. What if you were stabbed there? Isn't there a really important artery right in that area? Hmm... If I remember Biology class.... Hand to hand doesn't have to be an Empty hand. Or smash them in the face with the closed knife if you don't have time to open a folder. An improvised Kubaton is better than an empty hand anytime.

As far as "pressure points" there really are points on your body that when hit with enough force cause extreme pain and even temporary paralysis of the limbs. Look up Hapkido "limb destruction" techniques. They work. They are points in the limbs where muscles are particularly weak. Have a friend punch you on the inside of your bicep right where your bicep meets your tricep. See how it feels and if your able to move your arm for a minute. It really doesn't take much force at all to cause a lot of pain and not much more after that to cause that whole arm to get that "asleep" feeling of numbness and pain. There are spots on your legs to that will do the same thing. I said "pressure points" because I didn't want to have to type a lengthy explanation. Thanks, looks like I avoided that huh?

I really don't care if any thinks my way of doing things is ignorant. If it gets me out of a conflict alive is all that matters.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Dude it's the newest rage, everyone is doing it!

I would carry a derringer before I would a pocket .380 and other then being kinda cool I can't think of any reason to buy a derringer.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Dude it's the newest rage, everyone is doing it!

I would carry a derringer before I would a pocket .380 and other then being kinda cool I can't think of any reason to buy a derringer.

You could put it up the sleeve of your jacket on some cool spring loaded thing that launches it into your palm, like in Django Unchained. Also handy because when you need a third shot, you can use the springy thing to launch the whole gun at the aggressor. That's worth like 20 bonus points.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You could put it up the sleeve of your jacket on some cool spring loaded thing that launches it into your palm, like in Django Unchained. Also handy because when you need a third shot, you can use the springy thing to launch the whole gun at the aggressor. That's worth like 20 bonus points.

I am so doing that! Even better would be one of those NAA mini revolvers. Which I would buy if I ran into one cheap enough. Oh, and a Hi Point, I am really thinking I need a bedazzled, gold painted Hi Point.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    As far as "pressure points" there really are points on your body that when hit with enough force cause extreme pain and even temporary paralysis of the limbs. Look up Hapkido "limb destruction" techniques. They work. They are points in the limbs where muscles are particularly weak. Have a friend punch you on the inside of your bicep right where your bicep meets your tricep. See how it feels and if your able to move your arm for a minute. It really doesn't take much force at all to cause a lot of pain and not much more after that to cause that whole arm to get that "asleep" feeling of numbness and pain. There are spots on your legs to that will do the same thing. I said "pressure points" because I didn't want to have to type a lengthy explanation. Thanks, looks like I avoided that huh?

And Dim Mak. Don't leave out Dim Mak.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I am so doing that! Even better would be one of those NAA mini revolvers. Which I would buy if I ran into one cheap enough. Oh, and a Hi Point, I am really thinking I need a bedazzled, gold painted Hi Point.

If you stopped a robbery with a derringer, it would be posted on every gun forum in the USA. You'd be legendary. Well, MORE legendary. Not like RHINO-legendary, but legendary.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Didn't you mean like in the Wild Wild West? Not that hollywierd ever copies anything...

Top Bottom