• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I love to hike too. And hike in that forest. I live right near there. Might have to rethink it now.

Jason

I wouldn't rethink it, just keep an eye out. I spend a whole lot more time offtrail in MM than would be considered normal, and during the warm months usually wear shorts. Pay attention to hiding spots, use a long stick to move brush and debris if needed, don't step on logs w/o looking, wear boots, etc.

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    My son almost stepped on one in the spring. Luckily it had either just eaten or hadn't warmed up yet.

It has been my expierence that they give a warning hit first on large targets like humans and dogs, just a strike with no venom. I see copper heads and timbers a lot at HNF.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I can find it, I'll post a pic where a friend of mine's wife spotted a timber rattler just a foot or so away from a copperhead, here in Lawrence county last week.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    There are some still around. They are endangered in Indiana along with a few other states. Fairly timid and reluctant to strike, typically get quite a warning before they attempt to latch on, and even then the first is usually a warning strike. Wear decent thick boots and watch where you step, especially around logs and large rocks. You definitely DO NOT want a bite from a Timber (not that you want a bite from a venomous snake period....). Assuming you make it to the hospital you're probably looking at $100k-$150k hospital bill when it's all said and done. Crofab is outrageous. Better than being dead though.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    My first encounter with a rattlesnake was last Sept. in the Black Hills. I had just stepped out of Rapid Creek, fly fishing, and was headed to the main trail. Got to a depression that had some small boulders strewn around. Decide not to walk around, just go across. First step, I heard a rattle, panicked and bolted. Luck be have it, I tripped on the stones, but rolled and came up quicker than you can blink. After reaching the other side, I turned to see the snake slowly moving out of sight.

Scared the living **** out of me. But I didn't get bit. Wound up with a couple gashed on my palm, and a hole ripped in my waders and pants from falling on the stones.

Needless to say, I'll just stay away from M-M forest.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    There are quite a few in the Deam Wilderness and Nebo Ridge areas on HNF. A lady I know took a picture in the wilderness last week of a rattler and copperhead within a few feet of each other. They posed where you can see both in the same pic!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Non-venomous snakes that are too small to eat me? Fine!

Venomous snakes (outside of cages or in aquariums or zoos) . . . no way!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. I almost got bit in Brown County State Park about a month ago. It was coiled up right by where I was standing. Lucky they give a warning rattle before striking (most of the time). Gave me time to **** myself and jump out of the way.

Got a report from some other trail runners last week that they saw a big one on the trail in MMSF.

They're definitely out there in Hoosier National, MMSF, BCSP, Yellow Wood, and Nebo Ridge. I've always heard Yellow Wood has the most dense population.

I've seen and heard more reports of timber rattlers this year than I have in the past. Seems they're out and about for some reason. Maybe it's the weather making them move around or something.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't worry about the Rattlers until the "Dog Days of summer" hit and the snakes are shedding. They'll strike anything that moves then. Other than that they don't usually bother a person until you step on or next to one or disturb them in one way or another.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I can find it, I'll post a pic where a friend of mine's wife spotted a timber rattler just a foot or so away from a copperhead, here in Lawrence county last week.

Finally got back to my computer where this photo was stored. A friend of mine, here at work, his wife was in walking in the woods some where around Lawrence County in the HNF and saw this copperhead first. Then, as she was backing away, saw the rattler. She decided nobody would believe her, so she took this photo:

Copperhead_zps0lpshe9l.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Finally got back to my computer where this photo was stored. A friend of mine, here at work, his wife was in walking in the woods some where around Lawrence County in the HNF and saw this copperhead first. Then, as she was backing away, saw the rattler. She decided nobody would believe her, so she took this photo:

Copperhead_zps0lpshe9l.jpg
    Cool pic. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom