Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Here's a better pic of the bolt and receiver thread:

5064825595_1f914f84d5_b.jpg

5064825135_e258ecd0e1_b.jpg

A totally noob question but what do you guys mean by "run a tap?"

Not positive it's cross-threaded, but the threads on the bolt are definitely not right. And I say that as just coming out of 3 years as a QE Assistant in a bolt manufacturing plant. The bottom 3-3 1/2 threads definitely have a problem as you can see from the different "color" or shine in the pic. Possibly wrong pitch, possibly cross-threaded. The first 2 or 3 threads in the receiver appear to be too shiny as well, indicating a problem condition. Might try a thread chaser set and see if it corrects them, instead of rethreading...

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    My grip is finally on!!! It wasn't cross-threaded but the anodizing made the grip screw hole tighter than usual. I bought a tap but ended up not needing it:) I just bought a shorter hex screw, t-handle shaft for more leverage, WD40 and PATIENCE = WIN.

Now, I gotta decide which upper to buy.

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    I am looking into BCM indeed and Daniel Defense and Noveske. It'll prob wait until next month after my girlfriend's bday lol

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the Noveske upper...lol

Awesome! I've heard great things about their barrels.

Now on to optics...eotech xps2 or aimpoint ml3?:-P

If you put an EOThingy on your gun I'll personally fly out there and kick you. :D

Stick with Aimpoint-- either the ML3, C3, or H1/T1 micro. LaRue mount for whichever you decide.

(but if you just MUST get an EOThingy, do go with the XPS)

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    Evan,

What don't you like about eotech? Grant it Aimpoint blows it away in battery consumption. Eotech's reticle does look cool w/ the 65moa circle and 1 moa dot.

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    Well, I got my upper yesterday along with magpul ladder and afg2. I will post pics later today. Still undecided on optics but I'm leaning towards an XPS2-0 and primary arms magnifier combo.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Evan,
    What don't you like about eotech?

• Poor battery life.
    • Controls are buttons, and require hitting multiple times to turn on/off, making manipulations more difficult under stress, in the dark, or with gloves on. You also can't mount a magnifier behind it because it gets in the way of the buttons.
    • Some models have complete battery failure when contacts become compressed under recoil, rending the optic useless.
    • No QD functionality when you bolt it straight to the rail. Even using the Larue mount on an EO is awkward and ill-fitting (IMO).
    • Reticle is too busy (IMO).
    • Lens covers are either nonexistent, or awkward.
    Like I've said before, the XPS series has solved many of these issues, but they still can't seem to figure out how to cram 50,000 hours of battery life into their optic.

Aimpoint can. ;) :yesway:

advan031

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    SoCal
    Those are the same points I had but I can deal with most of them and I plan on picking up an ACOG down the road:-P

Does the Larue flip to side mount require me to get the Larue qd riser for eotech as well? Or can I just run the XPS2 with Primary Arms 3x magnifer w/ Larue flip to side.

Top Bottom