• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Guys I'm sorry to do this on such short notice but the AK build party is canceled. Due to some health issues I've been having recently. I've got to get them under control or it could get a lot worse.
    Im really sorry to do this and later On if your not too mad at me we will have another one. I even bought some new tools to be ready for volume this time so they will sit till the next party.
    Im going to try to make sure I personally pm everyone but if you want to help spread the word to others you know if appreciate it.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    As I PM'd TT, we can do it in late Winter or early Spring.

We might want to consider holding it again at Marion County Fish and Game so we can have more people with more tools (especially hydraulic presses and drill presses). We could setup stations to keep everything moving and get more people finished.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I am open to what ever everyone can agree on.

Me too. Ive gathered some pretty nice tools for the AK47/74. Those go/no go/field gauges turned out to be a nice deal from the people that actually supply them to akbuilder. Im going kinda slow on my ak74 build. Ran in to a snag on the barrel and had to order another that would fit in my trunion. (other was TOO SMALL). Barrel is installed and headspaced and receiver is all riveted. Just need to drill out hole for barrel pin and then keep truckin. I do need to get started on my Polish AK63D UF. They were demilled motsly already and some nice looking kits(2). They appear unissued. Have brand new barrels already for them. I do need depopulate the front sight base of its barrel stub on the kits. I should get started but I dont have any AK47 Receivers YET.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been to one of these in a couple of years but would like to get to the next one. What are heat treating options for blank receivers? Reason I ask is a farmer out by me has a pottery kiln for sale and I was wondering if it would be useful for building AK's.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I haven't been to one of these in a couple of years but would like to get to the next one. What are heat treating options for blank receivers? Reason I ask is a farmer out by me has a pottery kiln for sale and I was wondering if it would be useful for building AK's.

If it can get to ~1600F and hold it, then you can use it for a full heat treat. Otherwise, you'll have to MAPP torch the 4 pin holes and ejector.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I think in a kiln the chance of warping is much lower, I think most of the warping is when people with torches try and do the whole thing. I could be wrong though. The Kiln I think would be pretty sweet, though I dont know much about it. I'd be content to just spot treat though to if there was any doubt. A lot of people have a LOT of round through receivers that are only spot treated.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Update:

TT and I have talked and aren't sure of a date yet. The weather is an issue at the moment. We will post an update soon!!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    It's getting kind of cold. We may need to have everyone get in a big pile to conserve heat... Or bring a heater. I'm good either way.

jhusselman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    NW Indy
    Hello all, I am a gunsmith/ machinist with mill and lathe and would be interested in partisapting as well. I am also a Retired/Disabled Soldier so have plenty
    Of time to assist or help. I can be reached at jhussler@gmail.com.
    Jim

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Is this going to happen ? I have revived my interest in building a couple of these rifles, I have two flats with rivets from a while ago and couldn't attend the last party.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am sure it will happen. But it will be in a bit warmer weather. We will post when it's a go!! Stay tuned.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yugo kits and polish kits are good to go. The polish kits, from personal experience, as some of the best AK kits you can buy right now.

Top Bottom