• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tactical1224

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    LaPorte, IN
    I'm a little late but I wanted to say thanks for all the help at the build party. Gained alot of knowledge and it was nice to be able to help the next guy in line. Felt like a great accomplishment to leave with a completed receiver and head spaced barrel! Now just need to find the time to finish the rest.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok I smacked it till it budged a bit. Looks way better now.

P1010483_zps2844d0e7.jpg

P1010484_zps069722d6.jpg

P1010487_zpsf6074b3e.jpg

P1010488_zpsa41a45fa.jpg

P1010489_zps3d6bbc59.jpg

P1010491_zpsfe047714.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    thats probably as good as your going to get it. Really, as long as it doesnt pop off when you fire the rifle it will be fine.

now, what do you mean when you say 'press the gas tube'? The gas tube should be a slip fit between the RSB and the gas block.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    thats probably as good as your going to get it. Really, as long as it doesnt pop off when you fire the rifle it will be fine.

now, what do you mean when you say 'press the gas tube'? The gas tube should be a slip fit between the RSB and the gas block.

Wrong part on my end the gas block. Should I drill and pin the rear site next or press the gas block? When I do the block how do I know its in position?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Wrong part on my end the gas block. Should I drill and pin the rear site next or press the gas block? When I do the block how do I know its in position?

I usually populate the barrel completely before I drill and pin everything, but the order really doesnt matter. Hell Ive populated a barrel, and taken a rifle to to test fire it before with out pinning any of the barrel components. ;)

for the gas block, use the gas tube to set its position. Put the gas tube into the RSB, and press the gas block on. Keep checking that you can still slip the gas tube in and out. Once the gas block is far enough back the gas tube should slip out easy but be pretty snug when in position.

After you put the gas block in, I always try to make sure the gas hole is in the right spot (if you have a gas hole). I will either run water through it, OR blow through it.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Got the gas block in and fitted. Working on the trigger group and the underfolder. Man any tips on the trigger group? I got stung by that thing about a dozen times trying to get it in there.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Someone posted this earlier in the thread:

405778263.jpg

I hook end legs of the spring on the hammer for installation. Slide it in first, then put the pin through. Sometimes on a new receiver you might have to tap the pin in with a soft faced mallet.

Next install the trigger and disconnecter as an assembly. Ill assume you're using a tapco trigger so this should be easy. Put the pin in place. Once in, I unhook the spring from the hammer CAREFULLY and put them over the little arms on the trigger. Next install your pin retention method. Hopefully your using one of the commercially available plates, and not a hook/crook method as they are a PITA compared to the plates.

Last install the selector. Usually you have to pull the trigger to get the selector to clear the disconnector, and rotate into the correct position.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I zip tie the spring arms together. I used to hook them until they slid off once while I was pushing it in the receiver and whacked me. They are strong enough to cause light bleeding/bruising.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I zip tie the spring arms together. I used to hook them until they slid off once while I was pushing it in the receiver and whacked me. They are strong enough to cause light bleeding/bruising.

I actually had one come loose and drive in to the meaty part of my thumb once, but I still do it this way. :rockwoot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive been bitten enough myself, and I still dont use any 'protection'. I tend to grab the springs when I put the hammer in and this usually keeps them in place.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Vitamink tried this with mine (twist ties, not zip ties) and still got bit. Mine was that weird Red Star trigger though with only one "ear" lobe on the hammer.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    You guys don't like the inexpensive readily available "e" clips to hold the axis pins in place?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Vitamink tried this with mine (twist ties, not zip ties) and still got bit. Mine was that weird Red Star trigger though with only one "ear" lobe on the hammer.

Yeah and i still owe you a swift kick in the junk for that :D

I usually do this
    3-zip-tie-during-removal.jpg

only i include the hammer with the zipped up ends. It helps to keep inward pressure to keep the spring winds from popping off the ends. I hope that makes sense. Certainly use a krebs or tapco or whatever retainer plate as that is probably the best ak invention ever.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Got rh whammer and trigger on there with e clips for now. Got the gas block drilled and pinned too. I'm completely frustrated by how the underfolder goes together. All I have to do is that and the front site.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    e clips work just fine, sometimes need to double up to take up slack. easy and effective

Last edited:
    Top Bottom