• sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Ok so I am going to start a debate.

Which would you own and why?

I will go first.

I would own a ak47 over AR because of the cheap ammo and less worry on the cleaning.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    You should try the searching for this. There has many MANY threads debating these two rifles,and you could find a lot of info on both of them.

But I'm Ak all the way lol

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For the money? Two or three Ak's and a bunch of ammo for the price of one AR (yeah, yeah, you can get cheap ARs).

If you want to build a rifle that fits you PERFECTLY, then the AR platform is about as flexible as you can get.

I'll take one of each, please!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    This thread is dumb. There is no question more hashed over than this.

Generally the low budget types will tell you AKs are awesome and all that they need, and the high dollar guys / competition shooters will tell you their ARs are awesome.

When the truth is there is very VERY few dollars difference between a basic AK and a basic AR of similar quality.

Buy what you want for the purpose that you have.

XJRzC.jpg

dont-worry-sir-im-from-the-internet.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I dunno... there is an OC/CC thread and a Glock/XD thread around here somewhere!

I agree, though. Two very different rifles. For instance: when an AK runs out of ammo, it makes a very effective club. When an AR runs out of ammo, it makes a very effective flashlight.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I dunno... there is an OC/CC thread and a Glock/XD thread around here somewhere!

I agree, though. Two very different rifles. For instance: when an AK runs out of ammo, it makes a very effective club. When an AR runs out of ammo, it makes a very effective flashlight.

I like your response so far the best. I agree the AR wouldn't work well as a self defense at all if it ran out. The ak you could at least beat the hell out of em. Find more ammo and continue. Could you do that with an AR? I have never shot or owned one. The ammo cost is my biggest factor.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011

Generally the low budget types will tell you AKs are awesome and all that they need, and the high dollar guys / competition shooters will tell you their ARs are awesome.

When the truth is there is very VERY few dollars difference between a basic AK and a basic AR of similar quality.

Buy what you want for the purpose that you have.

XJRzC.jpg

dont-worry-sir-im-from-the-internet.jpg

All I can say sir is opinions are like a holes everyone has one. Mine is for the ak. Not because of the cost of the gun as I have several that fall into the price range of an AR. I just don't like the unreliability of the AR. Now I have never shot one or had one so I can only go with the opinion I see from the Inet. From what I read the thing jams frequently if not cleaned all the time. I clean my AK each time I shoot when I get home. I hear AR fans complain it jams on the range after putting a clip thru it. Let me see you put your barrel tip in the mud and see what happen on either weapon. The AK will shoot it right out the front. Or lets put some dirt in the receiver.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    All I can say sir is opinions are like a holes everyone has one. Mine is for the ak. Not because of the cost of the gun as I have several that fall into the price range of an AR. I just don't like the unreliability of the AR. Now I have never shot one or had one so I can only go with the opinion I see from the Inet. From what I read the thing jams frequently if not cleaned all the time. I clean my AK each time I shoot when I get home. I hear AR fans complain it jams on the range after putting a clip thru it. Let me see you put your barrel tip in the mud and see what happen on either weapon. The AK will shoot it right out the front. Or lets put some dirt in the receiver.

" I just don't like the unreliability of the AR. Now I have never shot one or had one so I can only go with the opinion I see from the Inet. From what I read the thing jams frequently if not cleaned all the time."

And here ladies and gentlemen, is the problem. It gets old after a while. Like an old record. Or an old sock.

And son, if you start packing mud down the barrel of any gun, I dont care what crap you have read on the internet about the indestructable AK, you are fixing to get hurt, or hurt someone else.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    You should try the searching for this. There has many MANY threads debating these two rifles,and you could find a lot of info on both of them.

But I'm Ak all the way lol

I have found that the search function on this site is doodo. I click search and I type "PSL" Sorry no search criteria found.

I have a thread for a PSL.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wish I had a dollar for every AK vs AR thread that has ever been started!

That said, why argue the differences? Get both and "vive la difference"!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I like both, ammo is not that far apart if you shoot Wolf. I don't have jams due to having a dirty chamber on my AR, but I do clean it after each fun session. 2 of my brothers have the much talked about WASR 10 AK47's and they eat wolf ammo like a starved tiger. The way I look at it you buy an AK and leave it alone, but an AR and you're probably going to add/change stuff on it. My :twocents:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I have found that the search function on this site is doodo. I click search and I type "PSL" Sorry no search criteria found.

I have a thread for a PSL.

Yes the search function can sort of be a pain in the rear sometimes. I find it helpful to put in a very widely used term, and you can usually find what you looking for.

But I'm going to take your AK Vs. AR thread....and raise you an SKS. What say you on the SKS? It is extremely cheap (as far a semi auto rifles are concerned), just as accurate as the AK, and I would say just as reliable also. Now that they have the dependable (believe it or not) 20 rnd mags for them (Tapco), they can easily be put in the same bracket as the Ak, and darn well almost overtake it in funtionality and durability (almost). Sorry just a die hard SKS fan :D

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Yes the search function can sort of be a pain in the rear sometimes. I find it helpful to put in a very widely used term, and you can usually find what you looking for.

But I'm going to take your AK Vs. AR thread....and raise you an SKS. What say you on the SKS? It is extremely cheap (as far a semi auto rifles are concerned), just as accurate as the AK, and I would say just as reliable also. Now that they have the dependable (believe it or not) 20 rnd mags for them (Tapco), they can easily be put in the same bracket as the Ak, and darn well almost overtake it in funtionality and durability (almost). Sorry just a die hard SKS fan :D

No don't be sorry that is a valid addition to this thread. I as well like them. I have shot many and have no quarrel with them. Very dependable weapon.
    My buddy has a Russian one that is beautiful both in look and accuracy.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Disclaimer: I have never run over a Pmag with my truck or dragged any rifles through mud or sand to make an internet video. However, like many others here I own versions of both the AR and AK. Mine are all reliable range toys.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Disclaimer: I have never run over a Pmag with my truck or dragged any rifles through mud or sand to make an internet video. However, like many others here I own versions of both the AR and AK. Mine are all reliable range toys.

Fair enough. Which do you enjoy shooting more?

If me and you were to go to the range today and only take 1 gun which of the two would you take and why?

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Fair enough. Which do you enjoy shooting more?

If me and you were to go to the range today and only take 1 gun which of the two would you take and why?

Being an Ak/SKS guy, I still think AR's are more fun to shoot at the range. There's just something about them that makes you feel all "tacti-cool" inside :laugh:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I solved that dilemma years ago.
    I bought several of each and a couple of Mini 14's to break up the monotony.
    Now I can agree, or disagree, with almost anyone. :D

Top Bottom