• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gharris18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    If I could only have one and was going to use it for a defensive rifle I would get a good quality ak47 the ballistics of the 7.62x39 round is just devistating against soft tissue. The ak is also know for being one of the most reliable and proven weapon system out there today. And they just look cool that has to count for something. Right?

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    I own both and appreciate the differences of each.

If you don't like worrying about what kind of ammunition to buy and cleaning it all the time, get the AK.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Which would you own and why?

My thoughts:

Buy a decent AK first so that you can afford to shoot it a lot and configure it like you want it. It's got plenty of accessories and it's a lot of fun. I'd recommend getting a parts kit so you're prepared if something would happen to break. After you've gotten the AK pimp'd the way you want it and money becomes available, buy an AR15 or build one.

I have an SGL21 & a RRA Elite Operator. I can afford more 7.62 than 223/556 and I don't have the luxury of a range over 200yrds so the AK is a 2 - 3MOA gun, so I'm well within the limits of an AK. If I did have a longer range, I'd definitely want to try out the AR in a 250+ yd range. Both weapons are easily considered battle rifles if I'd ever need to employ them in that role. I've got plenty of mags for each but again, pick one and build up the inventory of ammo, mags, pouches, spare parts until you've satisfied. My personal & expensive beliefs are that you should have a semi-auto & bolt action in a caliber that you choose, so if you have an AK then find a bolt action in 7.62x39 so that you have two guns for 1 caliber of ammo. There aren't many for 7.62 (CZ, Ruger, Savage) so I haven't decided on that yet but in 223 I've got my bolt & AR15. This provides the ability that if my semi does break, I can pickup the bolt & continue using my stocked up ammo. There are calibers where this doesn't apply and like I said, this is just my opinion/personal preference on firearms.

Last edited:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I own both. I like the AK a lot, but prefer the AR.
    My shooting is mostly paper punching at yardage and the AR does that better IMO.
    I've 4 AR's right now and have had 2 others I've sold. Never a problem with either one.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have had limited experience with the M-16 series rifles, although I've qualified with the M-16A1 and the M4. When I was deciding what rifle I wanted to purchase, I first looked at my intended use, my expected engagement range, my expected visual acuity (ability to pick out targets at a distance), and my budget. I'm left-handed, so the M-16/M4 is not as user-friendly for me as the AK has turned out to be. I don't find the AK recoil to be much different than the AR, but then, I haven't shot them side-by-side, either. I recently purchased a Saiga in .223; guess I'm going to stick with the AK style for the foreseeable future.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own both.

Maadi ARM AK variant
    Bushmaster XM15 M4

I can put every round center mass at 50 yards with my AK. That is good enough for me. I did a few small things to improve on the handling, and accuracy. Roughly $200 and a few minutes of my time. I prefer it as my MBR, because it goes bang every time, does not need to be cleaned, and ammo is reasonable.

My M4 is dead nuts accurate. I was able to hit 1" stickers at 50 yards with cheap ammo (with iron sights). It's mainly a range gun for me. Or if I need a rifle that's more precise.

If I had to bug out. Had no idea where I was going, etc. I would grab the AK over the M4. Who knows when and if I will be able to properly maintain an M4. Yes, weight for weight, I can not carry as much ammo. However, I'm not looking at getting into fire fights either. Unless you are Ninja John Arnold Rambo, you alone, will not survive a fire fight, against multiple threats. Stay low, and survive.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I kept asking myself the same question and heres what you do ..........buy both. buy the one you can afford first and remember they both **** off politicians so buy them before they have a ban

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I agree they look awesome. The AR's drum even looks cooler. Make the gun have a set of balls. LOL.

Dosen't this qualify as taticool?

ak47_tactical_Ak_47_vs_AR_15_Whos_the_best-s450x317-132345-580.jpg

No that looks shameful, and will make St Kalashnikov roll in his grave.

I have had several rifles in both platforms, and like them both. Both are very reliable, and nowadays, ammo is about the same for either. To answer the OP's question about only taking one to the range today, I'd say neither and pack my Saiga 12!

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    ok, yes repetative, but I have both, but since I was exposed to one in the early 80's, yes the ak47, drag it, fill it full of mud, run it thur a stream or creek throw in a magazine and go to town.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Repetitive annoying topic.... That I read every time I see it because somewhere in my head I still love it. A good AK will surprise you in accuracy, they aren't quite as crappy as people make them seem. I think the AR is a reliable platform as well, however I'm a bit put off at the moment with my current project ARs light primer strike problem(dons lower/DSA upper FWIW). All my aks go boom EVERY time. I had one problem With a mak90 that I think was due to a cheap mag. Despite the lower accuracy of an ak, and noticeable increase in recoil, I personally like the ak.
    On the other hand, if you have an AR that runs 100% with any ammo you throw at it, it is a better rifle. Anyone seen the BCM pamphlet about their rifle running something like 15k rounds without any maintainence or cleaning? Pretty awesome!

Such a muddy debate, buy both and enjoy both! Different jobs need different tools.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    There is a big difference between a full-auto M16 and a semi-auto AR15. The amount of heat and dirt in the upper can be regulated with semi-auto fire and ammo type.

I would risk more on reliability with a semi auto AR than I would with a full auto m16. They are (2) different animals.

The way an AK is assembled makes the big difference in accuracy. Barrel installation is key (not to tight). There are custom AK makers that know how to exploit this shortcoming and make accurate "custom" AKs.

One of the reasons the AK could be more reliable is not just the unregulated gas piston action, strong bolt, hammer, extractor; but the basic AK magazine design.

I own both rifles. I know the 7.62x39 is a heavy bullet in an intermediate cartridge case. I know the .223/5.56 is a light weight bullet in an intermediate cartridge.

Both are lethal at close range. That is the idea. Not to carry a bigger full power cartridge rifle that is heavier, because combat is usually closer than 300 yards.

Of course a lighter intermediate cartridge bullet will be accurate. Look at the AK74 with good quality ammo.

AK construction is heavy (steel). AR construction is light weight (mainly aluminum and steel). Could be another factor in reliability.

The AR has great ergonomics. The AK doesn't, but the firearms aftermarket accessories are catching up; just like it did with the AR.

I like the Ak because of the heavier caliber for close range in a semi-auto carbine rifle.

I like the light weight semi-auto AR because I can get one in a heavier intermediate caliber now, for close range purposes. lol

Both are great rifles that are constantly evolving for many reasons.

Own at least one of each, you won't be sorry. lol

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I keep wanting to buy an AK, but then I pick one up, and think... "why?, what does this do for me that my AR doesnt?" and then I set it down and think "nothing."

Buying both complicates gear purchases, training, etc.

Pick one and run with it IMO.

NDgolfer13

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Avon
    I like my ar as it's completely upgradable. Many mods can be done for cheap. And with quad rails you can hang evrything but the kitchen sink off your weapon. Not sure what the value is but it sure looks cool.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I keep wanting to buy an AK, but then I pick one up, and think... "why?, what does this do for me that my AR doesnt?" and then I set it down and think "nothing."

Have you ever fired an AK? They're definitely a lot of fun to shoot. That's why.

And sure 5.56 is quite lethal, but even more so is the 7.62. I was at the range last weekend. There were like 4 or 5 AR's there. My AK was sending the plastic bottles 30 feet into the air. The AR's would simply knock them over.

After exeriencing more jams than I want to remember on qualification ranges and such back when I was U.S. property, I'm not at all enamoured by the AR platform. I prefer it over the AK but gotta' give credit to where credit is due. In a real world situation where you're low crawling and dragging your AR through the dirt to stay alive, you're not always going to have the opportunity to clean it. It WILL jam, and it doesn't take that much grit to make it happen either. Like somebody else said...throw some dirt in the reciever and see what happens. In a real combat situation you're going to have crap flying all over the place including at your rifle. The AK will keep chugging along. I prefer the AR platform but facts are facts. Going to the range on a nice sunny day is one thing. Real life and the facts are are sometimes a little different. Why do you think AR's are built with a dust cover? AK's don't need them.

Top Bottom