• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Being an Ak/SKS guy, I still think AR's are more fun to shoot at the range. There's just something about them that makes you feel all "tacti-cool" inside :laugh:

I agree they look awesome. The AR's drum even looks cooler. Make the gun have a set of balls. LOL.

Dosen't this qualify as taticool?

ak47_tactical_Ak_47_vs_AR_15_Whos_the_best-s450x317-132345-580.jpg

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Fair enough. Which do you enjoy shooting more?

If me and you were to go to the range today and only take 1 gun which of the two would you take and why?

For a casual trip to the range I would take the AK-74. Ammo is cheaper, I like the iron sights better, and its fun to shoot.

sirxtc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I solved that dilemma years ago.
    I bought several of each and a couple of Mini 14's to break up the monotony.
    Now I can agree, or disagree, with almost anyone. :D

If I had all the fund to do so I would do the same. As I also the The MINI
    But I pose the same question to you: If me and you were to go to the range today and only take 1 gun which of the two would you take and why?

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Both the AK and the AR are combat proven weapons. But again we're seeing the same old "unreliable" line. A well-maintained AR is very reliable, and no that doesn't mean you have to clean it after every 50 rounds.

Both cartridges are deadly. Anybody that thinks the 5.56x45 is a BB should google image 5.56x45 wounds.

This debate has been going on for decades with no winner. The bottom line is both the AR and AK make very effective weapons in the right hands, regardless of the myths you hear.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    If I had all the fund to do so I would do the same. As I also the The MINI
    But I pose the same question to you: If me and you were to go to the range today and only take 1 gun which of the two would you take and why?
    It depends on what I intend to shoot at the range. :dunno:
    Paper targets would call for a scoped AR or the Mini Tactical.
    Cans, boxes, and other non fixed targets would call for an AK or an iron sight Mini.
    You will likely need to decide on which to buy based on your shooting regime and/or your budget. :)
    No one weapon platform is perfect.
    Each has a use for which it is well suited. :yesway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    " I just don't like the unreliability of the AR. Now I have never shot one or had one so I can only go with the opinion I see from the Inet. From what I read the thing jams frequently if not cleaned all the time."

And here ladies and gentlemen, is the problem. It gets old after a while. Like an old record. Or an old sock.

And son, if you start packing mud down the barrel of any gun, I dont care what crap you have read on the internet about the indestructable AK, you are fixing to get hurt, or hurt someone else.

Yes.... that's absolutely crazy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have found that the search function on this site is doodo. I click search and I type "PSL" Sorry no search criteria found.

The built-in search requires more than 3-letter searches, which can be difficult on a gun board with all the acronyms. Try using Google search limited to ingunowners.com and you should have better results.

As for your original question. . .

I'll take an AR over an AK any day. Better ergonomics, stronger aftermarket support, ability to hit at further distances (even with shortened barrels), less felt recoil, and the use of higher quality materials.

If your AR isn't reliable then there is something wrong with your gun. It shouldn't have to be showroom clean to run a mag through it. It should be able to go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings if you so desired. The old "ARs aren't reliable" myth has been dispelled long ago.

Granted, a low-end AK will probably still run more reliably than a low-end AR.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If your AR isn't reliable then there is something wrong with your gun. It shouldn't have to be showroom clean to run a mag through it. It should be able to go a couple thousand rounds between cleanings if you so desired. The old "ARs aren't reliable" problem has been fixed long ago.

FIFY :D

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    " I just don't like the unreliability of the AR. Now I have never shot one or had one so I can only go with the opinion I see from the Inet. From what I read the thing jams frequently if not cleaned all the time."

And here ladies and gentlemen, is the problem. It gets old after a while. Like an old record. Or an old sock.

And son, if you start packing mud down the barrel of any gun, I dont care what crap you have read on the internet about the indestructable AK, you are fixing to get hurt, or hurt someone else.

There's no need to take a massive crap on a new member's thread. If it "gets old after awhile", keep your opinion to yourself, or better yet, post a few links to threads where this discussion has been hashed out.

You present yourself, the business you represent, and INGO in a negative light when you take such a condescending attitude.

That being said, I've owned both. I've shot both. I just switched back to the AR platform. Each has a different area where it performs well. If you can afford to have both and want to have multiple calibers, go for it. I chose to stick with the AR.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I still have a 1978 Colt AR....loved it....I used the M16A2 in the Infantry many years ago...in 93' I bought the MAK90.....I don't care for the AK's, They just don't feel right, an I love scopes, an love my scoped Colt...it just fits an shoots better for me. An I'm at 500 rds. an still going without cleaning the AR. Not knocking anybody for loving the AK, I do like the stronger punch of the AK...but I'll pick the AR over the AK anyday.....on a side note....I'll pick my Garand over the AR 6 days out of 7...."The Garand, turning what you thought was cover into only concealment."

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I went with Ar but I have one that shoots 7.62 and 4 that shoot 5.56 1- 6.8 mm and 1- .458 socom . Just can't have enough AR's .

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    AR's are not bad guns at all, I like taken them to the range or for hunting them dogs. For battle i will take the AK.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Ive owned ARs and ive owned AKs. Only one of them is still in my safe. For me the AK platform is just to limited. An AR can be just about anything you want it to be with two push pin swaps.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Question for the OP. How can you judge a firearm, from only what you have read on the interwebz? That's like judging a person you have never met. Only off what others have said. Next time, maybe you should think a little more, before you type?

Top Bottom