• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    AK anyday, the little bit you sacrifice in accuracy is more than made up for in price difference. Heck my AK is cheaper to shoot than my .40 cal but I have to travel farther for that range. Still the AK is an icon and rightfully so, never fails, always shoots, every time. Plus it's got a beyonete, how bad A is that?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    man where is that video of the ar and ak and the guy w/ the shovel and the pile of sand. buries both guns and the ar continues to work and the ak just regularly jams. its was pretty crazy video. let me look for it. i ran a m4 over in iraq for almost 2 years and 1 year over in Afghanistan and never had a problem. we were often out on 3-4 day patrols where our rifles were dirty as could be. multiple multiple multiple firefights and i never had any problems. i would wipe it down at night and either put on graphite or milspec. we also use to keep a lot of ak's in the brads and humvee's and they also ran great even dirty. honestly both weapons have problems when not properly taken care of. i also went to multiple schools and one was mlarm where we shot 5k rounds a day and didn't clean the guns until the end of the day and no problems there either. i would say pick both up and check them out and then go with what feels best to you. i have ak's and ar15 and love them both. but just to stir the pot here is that video

pretty good example here :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms[/ame]

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have ran 625 rounds through my M4 so far without a cleaning, only swabbing the barrel. I want to see how long I can go, before it malfunctions. I have ran roughly 2,500 rounds through my AK. Who knows how many before I got it. I have had 0 malfunctions.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Question for the OP. How can you judge a firearm, from only what you have read on the interwebz? That's like judging a person you have never met. Only off what others have said. Next time, maybe you should think a little more, before you type?

Nothing wrong with posting a hypothetical question on a forum that is among other things, for the purpose of posting hypothetical questions. Not everybody has the means to be an 'owner' or maybe try out particular firearms at whatever given time. No need to get nasty about it.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    You have to get both to be truly happy.

I like the AR for it's modularity and how it can be changed into just about anything you want, home defense to long range precision rifle or anything in between. But the AK is great for it's ruggedness and simplicity.

So in short, I like the AR for what it can be and the AK for what it is.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    man where is that video of the ar and ak and the guy w/ the shovel and the pile of sand. buries both guns and the ar continues to work and the ak just regularly jams. its was pretty crazy video. let me look for it. i ran a m4 over in iraq for almost 2 years and 1 year over in Afghanistan and never had a problem. we were often out on 3-4 day patrols where our rifles were dirty as could be. multiple multiple multiple firefights and i never had any problems. i would wipe it down at night and either put on graphite or milspec. we also use to keep a lot of ak's in the brads and humvee's and they also ran great even dirty. honestly both weapons have problems when not properly taken care of. i also went to multiple schools and one was mlarm where we shot 5k rounds a day and didn't clean the guns until the end of the day and no problems there either. i would say pick both up and check them out and then go with what feels best to you. i have ak's and ar15 and love them both. but just to stir the pot here is that video

pretty good example here :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

Thanks for the interesting video. Check out part 2 with a 7.62x39 AK using steel mags. Things went a little different this time.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Nothing wrong with posting a hypothetical question on a forum that is among other things, for the purpose of posting hypothetical questions. Not everybody has the means to be an 'owner' or maybe try out particular firearms at whatever given time. No need to get nasty about it.

I'm not being nasty. I just do not judge a gun, unless I have trigger time behind it.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I'm not being nasty. I just do not judge a gun, unless I have trigger time behind it.

Sorry but I fail to see the harm in: "Ok so I am going to start a debate.
    Which would you own and why? I will go first. I would own a ak47 over AR because of the cheap ammo and less worry on the cleaning."

So your summation of "Next time, maybe you should think a little more, before you type?" wasn't being nasty? Why did you change it then? It was captured in my response. All I'm saying is there's no need for anybody to be rude to anybody else. Maybe I misread your response. My bad.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I have the solution! I use my m16a4 copy for my assault/DMR rifle because I know its the best choice for field use past 100yds and I know its reliable. I use my Draco AK SBR for under 100 yds because its knockdown power, reliability, and small package. I love the AR platform and I trust it! I also love and trust the AK platform! Buy both and love both!

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i saw a couple people in here claiming the 7.62x39 does more tissue damage, however nothing ive seen just in reading about them over the years has suggested that. It has more mass for penetrating barriers but its wounding in tissue is only slightly more than a 5.56 that doesn't fragment.

this image comes to mind:
    40052-MilitaryAssaultRifleWPcopy.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Buy all 3. They each have their own strengths. My AR is the main home defense weapon. It's what stands next to the bed at night. The AKs are the battle rifle and the SKSs are what gets handed to family that needs a rifle, but did not bring their own.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    In a real world situation where you're low crawling and dragging your AR through the dirt to stay alive, you're not always going to have the opportunity to clean it. It WILL jam, and it doesn't take that much grit to make it happen either.

That may be your real world situation, but my world is not so violent.

My world is 3 gun matches, home defense <probably never happen, if it does most likely less than a mag worth of ammo> and training.

Having an AK as well as an AR means...

New mags ~ 200 dollars
    New mag carriers ~ 100 dollars
    New reloading dies ~ 50 dollars
    New AK ~ 1200 dollars

A fairly significant investment, which nets me..... zero.

Everything I could do with the AK, I can do with the AR. :dunno:

And yet, even tho, I kinda want one.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i much prefer the AR.

on the ak. I don't like:
    the shorter stock
    the cheek weld
    the front or rear sight
    the lack of locking bolt
    the heavy, cumbersome mags
    the cumbersome mag release
    the safety
    the accuracy or lack thereof

the only thing the ak has going for it in my mind is the reliability and the cheaper ammo. as for SHTF, a good AR doesn't have to be cleaned after every magazine. And even then, put a can of CLP in your BOB. Problem solved. :)

Top Bottom