Am I crazy to consider selling my AR15 for something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I own an AR because the cool kids all have one. Just recently bought an inexpensive defense shotgun because the cool kids all have one. Otherwise I wouldn't have any real reason to own either. But I honestly believe it is everyone's right and responsibility to own a long arm. By that I mean a long gun suitable for social purposes and not just "sporting" use. So I would sell the extra AR and setup your other the way you want it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I own an AR because the cool kids all have one. Just recently bought an inexpensive defense shotgun because the cool kids all have one. Otherwise I wouldn't have any real reason to own either. But I honestly believe it is everyone's right and responsibility to own a long arm. By that I mean a long gun suitable for social purposes and not just "sporting" use. So I would sell the extra AR and setup your other the way you want it.
    I'm pretty much inline here too. I have a long gun suitable for "social purposes" if need be and an inexpensive HD shotgun. (Winchester SuperX Defender) and a carry handgun. (M&P .45c). I might pick up a 1911 in the near future when the budget allows because I have had a few of them in the past and the JMB design represents history. But I have no real interest at this time in going back to entertaining a big collection like I used to.

In the past I have had a pretty vast array of a number of different firearms in the collection from assorted makes and models of pistols and revolvers to hunting rifles and even muzzle loaders. I've come to embrace the simple 3 gun approach to suit my needs at this time. Shotgun, Long Gun, Handgun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm pretty much inline here too. I have a long gun suitable for "social purposes" if need be and an inexpensive HD shotgun. (Winchester SuperX Defender) and a carry handgun. (M&P .45c). I might pick up a 1911 in the near future when the budget allows because I have had a few of them in the past and the JMB design represents history. But I have no real interest at this time in going back to entertaining a big collection like I used to.

In the past I have had a pretty vast array of a number of different firearms in the collection from assorted makes and models of pistols and revolvers to hunting rifles and even muzzle loaders. I've come to embrace the simple 3 gun approach to suit my needs at this time. Shotgun, Long Gun, Handgun.

That doesn't work. You need a fourth gun. If you like guns, love America and pee standing up it is a requirement to own a 1911.

:patriot:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I prefer slow deliberate fire. IE bolt actions.

If I am going to burn through ammo w/ a semi auto, I want it to be dirt cheap ammo, so either factor .22 or reloaded 9mm.

I just don't have anywhere near as much fun w/ an AR and 30 round mags, as I do w/ a bolt action and 10 round mags.

I feel the same way. My drug of choice is lever actions. I sold my AR and got a M1. Ammo isn't cheaper...but I like the M1 much better. Am considering a AR in 308 though.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'd sell the second one for money to get a 1911. Then you'll have the one AR you want/need and the 1911 you've been wanting. Win-Win!

That doesn't work. You need a fourth gun. If you like guns, love America and pee standing up it is a requirement to own a 1911.

:patriot:

Well said sir!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I prefer slow deliberate fire. IE bolt actions.

If I am going to burn through ammo w/ a semi auto, I want it to be dirt cheap ammo, so either factor .22 or reloaded 9mm.

I just don't have anywhere near as much fun w/ an AR and 30 round mags, as I do w/ a bolt action and 10 round mags.

Sounds like you can't control yourself with a semi auto rifle. You can get 10rd mags and shoot as slow as you want. But you automatically assume to get a 30rd mag and have at it :):

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Wait we have to have a reason for owning toys? :nailbite: Seriously, I have a few guns/pistol that meets, my perception, of reasons/needs, the rest are toys and the one with the most toys wins. I don't even want to think about how many 10/22 parts I have gathering dust. Last month I traded my Trap Gun (haven't used it for 3 years) for a AR-308. If it will make you happy why not?

I actually live the opposite way, the one with the most toys loses. The goal is not to own the most toys, it's to have played with the most. You can only play with one toy at a time....

Jon

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wouldnt I be considered a "cool kid" for owning 2 AR15's?

Only if one of them has a Sig brace, MagPul, or an AimPoint. And a light. It has to have a light! SureFire because StreamLight just doesn't cut it with the Cool Kids.

note: yes I am kidding. Most people who know me know this. For those who don't.....tough. :):

Top Bottom