Am I crazy to consider selling my AR15 for something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If AR prices are strong then it is a good time to liquidate. 1911 prices don't fluctuate with the panics.

This is how I was able to fund my Wilson Combat. I got exceptional value out of a bunch of pistols during the panic. The Wilson price didn't change. So I cashed out at the high and bought into a semi-custom pistol. I also upgraded my AR about the same time.

edit: Tax Refund time and stupid politics means you at least have to look into it. Oh, and when you buy your 1911 go with a 5" full size gun for the first. And please don't start another what 1911 should I buy thread. There are a couple members opinions that you should heed and their analysis is easy to find.

Good advice.

If you want to jump into 1911 advice threads for research, I had a couple that might interest you that helped me quite a bit:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/364235-1911-decisions.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/365790-springfield-1911s.html

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will save the OP some searching on INGO. In the $700 - $900 1911 market there are a few choices that seem to stand out amongst the 1911 snobs.... Aahh, experts. These really are the entry level choices.

Springfield RO or loaded
    Ruger SR1911
    Smith E Series
    Sig Saurer

People seem to be pleased with these as a starting point. The guns seem to work OK.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I prefer slow deliberate fire. IE bolt actions.

If I am going to burn through ammo w/ a semi auto, I want it to be dirt cheap ammo, so either factor .22 or reloaded 9mm.

I just don't have anywhere near as much fun w/ an AR and 30 round mags, as I do w/ a bolt action and 10 round mags.

I'm the same way. Nostalgia has taken hold of me so I have my build as stock as possible but only shot 100 rounds so far since Sept once I completed it. I figure with all the quals I did, and all the other time behind the trigger for training I've got maybe 10k under my belt.
    I kick myself now for getting rid of my mosins and the 3k in ammo I had. I had more fun shooting those as you said its slow and in an hr you may of shot only 30 rounds but it was worth it. My wife is the same way she loves her 93R17 even though when 17 is on sale I buy some for her or she buys it. I figure she has close to 3k stocked up right now.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The beauty of the AR is the almost infinite number of uppers you can slap on it. I have two but could get by with one. Both of mine have Jewel triggers. I could just as easily put my short flat top upper on for home defense as it has an EOTech and front and rear BUIS and a TLR-3 light. If I ever want to go varmint hunting in Colorado again I just slap on a heavy barrel upper with my Sightron scope and bipod.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, that is a personal decision one needs to make. Sometimes you win and sometimes not...we would need a crystal ball to be 100%. I had sold both of my AR's. Just tired of all the drama surrounding these types of rifles. Besides, I am way more "low-speed, high-drag" than I used to be. Lol.

gentlemen

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2015
    williamsport
    I'm not really a "gun guy." I've been to gun shows with friends who fawn over a custom 1911 like it's a Ferrari. That's cool, I just don't get it.

I don't particularly enjoy the range, I shoot because I consider it necessary in order to be a responsible CCW holder.

That's my long-winded way of saying that I see guns as a tool, not a hobby. So for me, for every practical application in real life I have contemplated, there are one or more superior options to the AR.

The AR is a "cool" gun, and it's obviously not without function (to say the least!). But in terms of true practicality? In the most basic sense? Not really, IMO.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm not really a "gun guy." I've been to gun shows with friends who fawn over a custom 1911 like it's a Ferrari. That's cool, I just don't get it.

I don't particularly enjoy the range, I shoot because I consider it necessary in order to be a responsible CCW holder.

That's my long-winded way of saying that I see guns as a tool, not a hobby. So for me, for every practical application in real life I have contemplated, there are one or more superior options to the AR.

The AR is a "cool" gun, and it's obviously not without function (to say the least!). But in terms of true practicality? In the most basic sense? Not really, IMO.

Before someone else says it.. "Indiana doesn't have a CCW, we have an LTCH" :D

Actually, AR prices are pretty low right now, I wouldn't consider it a good time to sell personally..

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I could never argue with the idea that "if it makes you happy, you should keep it.' I also respect the fact that many people simply collect guns - although I have never really been a "collector" myself. I prefer that each of my firearms has at least a slightly different application than any other gun that I own. I recently realized that I had two ARs that were really pretty redundant. They both had uppers chambered in 5.56, they both had 16.5" barrels, mid-range optics and BIUS. There were differences in quality and one had a piston system while the other was DI, but both rifles had pretty much the same job. And although I have attended multiple carbine courses in which it was strongly recommended that students bring both a primary rifle and a backup, I had never had to use both rifles in the same course.

For these reasons, I recently decided to sell the lower-quality AR to at least partially fund a suppressed SBR build. Truth be told, I sold the AR for about what my suppressor cost - not to mention two ATF application fees, etc., but it was a start. And I can definitely say that the two rifles will have a somewhat different "MOS." Differences in the ballistics of 5.56 and .300 BLK (particularly subsonic), different barrel lengths, one being suppressed (whenever my Form 4 is approved), differences in optics, etc. - all create a situation where I no longer have two slightly different versions of the same gun.

My tax stamp to build the rifle has come through and - if UPS is to be believed - my upper arrives tomorrow, so the build is taking shape and I'm excited about having a rifle that is truly different and has a somewhat different usage than any other gun that I own.

Similarly (and speaking of 1911s), I recently traded in two similar guns - two "carry" .45s (a Kimber Pro Carry and a Kimber Ultra Raptor II) on a nicer carry .45 (an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry). I received good value for the Kimbers and by making the trade I didn't have to write a huge check for the EB. I now have fewer guns, but I'm very happy with that decision too.

None of this is meant as advice - I just thought I'd share my personal experiences that may or may not apply to your situation.

Good luck - although deciding between having two quality ARs (love the BCMs) and liquidating one for a nice pistol, you can't really go wrong.

Guy

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Two Kimbers for an Ed Brown. I would make that trade.

Like Guy I only own one AR. It is a piston gun with decent optic. I suppose if I attend a carbine class and it lays down I am done for the day. If I decide on anther gun I would like an SBR in 9mm and possible a suppressor. But I have not worked up the courage to brave the NFA thing yet.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, all my money is going to pay off my wife's hospital bills. We have gone thru 4 miscarriages, and 3 surgeries. Haven't been able to get pregnant since Thanksgiving. And depending on what our doctor says next Monday, adoption may be our only option.
    We have priced adoption, and it's a little expensive.

So, any extra cash I get goes into that fund. I don't see myself purchasing any more guns in the near future. So my thinking was, sell that AR build and use the cash for something I want but can't afford. Or just keep it and finish it when I'm in a better position.

I'd love to have a high end 1911. But those are expensive, and it'll have to be something I'll have to get a few years from now. I'd rather not "settle" for a low end 1911.

My other thought was to use the money for another gun and an Aimpoint for my completed AR. What that pistol is, I dunno. I figured a Glock 42, and I could carry that while I am bicycling.

Also, I've always wanted a table saw :D

I'm leaning more towards keeping it. $170 for the LPK, another $150 for the stock and buffer tube, and another $200 for the iron sights. And then it's shootable.

Oy that's a lot of money.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I say sell anything you don't need and put the rest of the money towards family commitments.

Do you have a good 4"-5" service sized pistol?
    Do you have a good second pistol/BUG/carry gun?
    Do you have a quality defensive long arm, Rifle or Shotgun?
    Do you have a good rimfire rifle or pistol?
    Do you have a good sporting shotgun? Do you need one?

Honestly I could live my life with a shotgun and couple barrels, full size 1911, Glock 19 and a good 22 rifle. The 1911 is only because I am a handgun nut. Otherwise all the other stuff I own is fluff.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'd love to have a high end 1911. But those are expensive, and it'll have to be something I'll have to get a few years from now. I'd rather not "settle" for a low end 1911.

First of all, sorry to hear about the issues your wife and you are having. Good luck with that and hopefully you have a conclusion that works well for the both of you.

That said, I think a decent 1911 like VERT posted (below) would be fantastic for you to get the feel for a 1911, without breaking the bank. The Ruger SR1911 on that list is probably the least expensive and owning it personally, I don't think you would feel like you "settled" if you bought one. Yes, it's not a high end custom 1911, but it's a decent one with lots of features for the money (~$600). VERT had mentioned Sig Sauer 1911's and they have quite a few models to choose from. Something that meets pretty much anyone's wants or needs. I have a Sig TacOps which I love and got a great deal on, but you can find many of them for $800 - $850. For the same money or less, you can get a SA Range Officer or Loaded. I have the Loaded and it's a great 1911. I wanted to make even more special, so I bought a trigger kit and had Churchmouse install it for me and now the gun is very sweet, with around a 3lb trigger pull. That's one nice thing to remember, if you don't like something about it, you can always have work done to make it more like what you want. Anyway, good luck with your decision :)

I will save the OP some searching on INGO. In the $700 - $900 1911 market there are a few choices that seem to stand out amongst the 1911 snobs.... Aahh, experts. These really are the entry level choices.

Springfield RO or loaded
    Ruger SR1911
    Smith E Series
    Sig Saurer

People seem to be pleased with these as a starting point. The guns seem to work OK.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I say sell anything you don't need and put the rest of the money towards family commitments.

Do you have a good 4"-5" service sized pistol?
    Do you have a good second pistol/BUG/carry gun?
    Do you have a quality defensive long arm, Rifle or Shotgun?
    Do you have a good rimfire rifle or pistol?
    Do you have a good sporting shotgun? Do you need one?

Honestly I could live my life with a shotgun and couple barrels, full size 1911, Glock 19 and a good 22 rifle. The 1911 is only because I am a handgun nut. Otherwise all the other stuff I own is fluff.

Yeah, most of my guns serve certain purposes.
    Glock 19 is winter carry gun.
    Glock 26 is my BUG to my G19, which is also my summer carry gun when I want to wear shorts.
    Glock 17 is the house gun. It also has a light.
    I have a 870 12g
    A BCM AR15
    A Savage Arms bolt action 22lr
    I also have a Glock 30s, just because I have always wanted a .45

The only thing thing I have that serves no special purpose is that partial AR.

Typing this, I just realized I COULD just finish it, and keep it in the back of the safe. And just give it to my first kid, if I'm lucky enough to have one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't really NEED anymore guns. And an Aimpoint for my rifle is just a nice to have kind of thing.

I like my AimPoint. But honestly I shoot irons better and about as fast. Where aimpoints shine is when shooting off the weak side and from unorthodox positions. Cool kids have got to do that! But I took some carbine training several years ago and did fine with iron sights. I did buy an AimPoint but it is not esential

Top Bottom