Am I crazy to consider selling my AR15 for something else?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Only if one of them has a Sig brace, MagPul, or an AimPoint. And a light. It has to have a light! SureFire because StreamLight just doesn't cut it with the Cool Kids.

note: yes I am kidding. Most people who know me know this. For those who don't.....tough. :):
    The purple runs deep in this one.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Hard to use purple from the phone. I have found that even evident sarcasm is often missed here on INGO.
    I can't remember who said it, but they said something like "There are two types of people on INGO, those that need purple and those that don't."

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Hmmm. I have both a Surefire light and a magpul stock on my rifle. No aimpoint, and no 1911.....

I do have a sack full of Glocks though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hmmm. I have both a Surefire light and a magpul stock on my rifle. No aimpoint, and no 1911.....

I do have a sack full of Glocks though.

No AimPoint! You might as well have a sack of hammers if you don't have an AimPoint. Everybody has a sack of Glocks.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My AR has MagPul stock and mags. Single point sling, AimPoint and it is a piston gun. But no SureFire. Just couldn't go there. But I do own a sack of 1911s. That alone makes me the second baddest man on INGO. I would tell you who number 1 is but she would kick my butt

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My AR has MagPul stock and mags. Single point sling, AimPoint and it is a piston gun. But no SureFire. Just couldn't go there. But I do own a sack of 1911s. That alone makes me the second baddest man on INGO. I would tell you who number 1 is but she would kick my butt
    Does she have a monkey in her avatar? :shady:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That doesn't work. You need a fourth gun. If you like guns, love America and pee standing up it is a requirement to own a 1911.

:patriot:
    Roger that. 4 gun nation . Shotgun, Long gun, Regular Handgun and 1911. (Cuz 1911's are in a category all by themselves) "Murica! :patriot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2 is 1 and 1 is well, none
    ......................... ^^^ This right here!

Make sure both guns are the way you want them. Run the dog :poop: out of them until you are sure they are completely reliable and their use is second nature to you. Oil them up and stick them away if you choose not to shoot them much. Only sell these two rifles when they are replaced and extinct or you are starving.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would finish and keep the AR. Then buy the 1911 a little later!

I guess I'm a "hoarder", I COLLECT firearms! Do I need them all? Will I "use" them all? Hell no, but I sure like them all. I can only remember selling or trading about 5 firearms in my life and I am 73. I regretted almost every one I got rid of, and don't intend to do it again! ALL of my firearms have increased in value far above inflation (or any other investment), so my heirs can sell them if they wish. If I want another firearm (who doesn't?), I will just save until I can purchase it cash. It can join my others happily in the safes!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    While the AR-15 is a really cool rifle that is both accurate and fun to shoot, out of all the calibers out there, the 5.56 / .223 is still the lightest of them all!

Personally, for around the house and barn area (150-300 meters)...I prefer a .30-30 lever rifle! It has a very manageable recoil and provides a lot heavier load but is not as expensive as, say, .308 caliber.

Just sayin'....

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A lot of people say two is one, and one is none... But if you aren't worried about that kinda thing go with whatever you want to do. I think that keeping it would be a good idea if you see regret down the road. But if you really want something else and one of the rifles serves no purpose that is a personal choice. Can't knock you either way, but by the fact you are thinking about it tells me it would probably be ok. I however would just keep them and save for the other things I wanted.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just hit me this morning. With this stupid ammo ban, and now this stupid ammo panic buy, this is a good reason to sell my AR build in progress and get into something else.

But then again, this could be a reason to keep it and finish it.

Damn.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just hit me this morning. With this stupid ammo ban, and now this stupid ammo panic buy, this is a good reason to sell my AR build in progress and get into something else.

But then again, this could be a reason to keep it and finish it.

Damn.

If AR prices are strong then it is a good time to liquidate. 1911 prices don't fluctuate with the panics.

This is how I was able to fund my Wilson Combat. I got exceptional value out of a bunch of pistols during the panic. The Wilson price didn't change. So I cashed out at the high and bought into a semi-custom pistol. I also upgraded my AR about the same time.

edit: Tax Refund time and stupid politics means you at least have to look into it. Oh, and when you buy your 1911 go with a 5" full size gun for the first. And please don't start another what 1911 should I buy thread. There are a couple members opinions that you should heed and their analysis is easy to find.

Top Bottom