• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    In these interesting ammo price times, how often are buying?
    Online?
    or lucky enough to find in a store?
    I'm used to paying less than $0.20 per round of 9mm. With prices now at 3x that, I'm wondering if this is just to buy it now because in 3-6 months it will be 3x again?

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Online?
    I'm used to paying less than $0.20 per round of 9mm. With prices now at 3x that, I'm wondering if this is just to buy it now because in 3-6 months it will be 3x again?

No one knows exactly how its going to shake out. If you have the money to spare, sure, buy all you can. I'd say make sure you have at least 1k of each caliber owned. Otherwise you're just crossing your fingers that stock and prices will come back to normal.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I stocked up during the good times and am out of the market now. I don't think there is any normalization coming any time soon, so if you need it, buy it.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Online?
    I had a suspicion this was going to happen a couple years ago hearing the CONSTANT antigun rethorical bs from the left so I loaded up heavily on components.. as for prices and availability.. they are both horrible. At on point I saw 5.56 NATO ammo at nearly $2 a round when it had been 12-20 cents a round. I have enough reload components to last the rest of my life and with the ATFs unconstitutional bastard behavior I have moved everything and I do mean everything to a location they would never find in a million years, not even in the same city.. I would recommend that everyone moves all their equipment to a secured location.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I stocked up during the good times and am out of the market now. I don't think there is any normalization coming any time soon, so if you need it, buy it.

:+1:

I last bought ammo in May. My local shop had remanufactured 147 grain 9mm FMJ at $120/500 rounds. I didn't need it, but it was a fair price. I probably should have bought more... but I do think I'm good for several years.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I haven't bought ammo in a while. I've stocked up plenty of reloading stuff so I'm working on that now like most winters. I definitely don't see it coming down to "normal" prices or plentiful stock soon. Sad times.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I’m learning how to reload.

If you weren't stocked with reloading components befirw and are just now starting good luck. Primers are harder to find and as expensive than 9mm ammo. As far as small. I have have found large to not be as affected but still hit and mis.

Glad I had ample small and large for my 38 and 45.

good luck

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    If you weren't stocked with reloading components befirw and are just now starting good luck. Primers are harder to find and as expensive than 9mm ammo. As far as small. I have have found large to not be as affected but still hit and mis.

Glad I had ample small and large for my 38 and 45.

good luck
    I was fortunate enough to have friends supply me with enough primers and powder to start me off. They have ample amounts and said they will sell as needed. He’s been reloading for a long time and has an abundance. Thankfully he’s a good friend.!!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What ammo?
    Someday even re loaders will run out.

I doubt it.

This isn’t rocket surgery. We’ve been making modern metallic cartridges for over a hundred years now, none of it is beyond the means of a sufficiently motivated person. Priming compound is not complicated. Single base powder is not complicated. Bullets are simple. Brass is probably the hardest to make but even that is possible. Tooling for all of this would fit in a single car garage.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Wasn't much over a year ago Federal was having their big sale with mail in rebates, 5.56 was plentiful and I was more than happy to get it for sub $250/K.
    My 9mm HD and practice ammo was a bargain too, I'd go to multiple vendors to find the best price or who offered free shipping and I stuffed the ammo cans.
    Still with all the uncertainty, range trips are no longer spontaneous but well planned out in advance and a much lower round count.
    I don't have a clue when things will get better, I'm just trying to hold off on buying in a seller's market. The one thing I've learned is enough is nowhere near enough................get more.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    There are two types of buyers during this time that is making the problem worse. Those that don't really need the ammunition but they see the shortage so they are buying whatever they can, i.e. hoarding. And, two, those that are buying whatever they can to "flip" it for a profit. I believe those two types of buyers far outweigh the type of people that actually need the ammo, i.e. those who have none and need a few boxes to tide them over till prices come down.

I had a customer say to me just today, "I don't really NEED the ammunition but in these times why not stock up?"

I also had a group of 8 guys recently come by where I work. One guy was talking about how he didn't even have a rifle that shot 5.56 but he was going to buy the limit anyway. Another was asking his friends how fast did they think he could quadruple his money.

I see these situations every time I work to the point that I believe we are prolonging the shortage by engaging in it.

I personally would like to have more in my "stash" but I also have what I need for basic self-defense so I have barely bought anything since mid-March 2020. When things calm down, there are definitely a few things I am going to stock up on.

Wasn't much over a year ago Federal was having their big sale with mail in rebates, 5.56 was plentiful and I was more than happy to get it for sub $250/K.
    My 9mm HD and practice ammo was a bargain too, I'd go to multiple vendors to find the best price or who offered free shipping and I stuffed the ammo cans.
    Still with all the uncertainty, range trips are no longer spontaneous but well planned out in advance and a much lower round count.
    I don't have a clue when things will get better, I'm just trying to hold off on buying in a seller's market. The one thing I've learned is enough is nowhere near enough................get more.

While I don't disagree with you, veteran gun owners engaging in the behavior indicated in your last sentence during this shortage is making the problem worse. Stock up during good times and hold off buying during the shortages.

There is no guarantee it's going to get any better. Then we add plugs biden and legs in the air harris...
    I'd suggest buying all you can find and afford now.

If the winners of the Georgia Senate races are both Republican, new gun control laws that justify us panic buying guns/ammo are dead in the water no matter what Biden and Harris want.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

What does stocked up mean? During a normal year I would shoot 15.000 rds of 9mm alone. I try to never let my stock get to low, but it is tough to stock up.

Top Bottom