• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    P.S. Sorry for bringing politics into the wrong forum. I won't respond further about that in this thread unless you ask me to.
    Yeah it is tough not to mention those 2 when dealing with ammo/firearms and yes, they are who they appear to be. Both of them yet here we are stuck with them.
    I actually call her Chameleon Harris because one day she is of Indian decent and when it fits her needs she is Black. There is the other name I have for her but not here. So in truth any handles we hang on those 2 are most likely well deserved.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I've managed to find some "decent" deals based on the current market for 7.62x39mm this week...
    .35 to .40 cents per round for Barnaul and Red Army Standard.
    I'm seeing more of this round now than I've seen in a few months... picked up a case (1K) of Golden Tiger yesterday for .25 cents per round out the door. SCORE!
    Last time I bought GT it was 200 out the door and that was at Gander Mtn in FW.
    Never thought I'd see the day when this caliber would go for more than .20 cents a round.

It's nice to see 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 almost always available and with (usually) less dramatic markup than some of the other popular calibers. Now of course that all could change if imported ammo is banned, so if you can snag more GT for 25cpr I'd say go for it.

Any other 74 shooters on here want to split 12k rounds of 5.45 at 22cpr with me?

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Academy here in Terre Haute get a couple shipments of ammo every week. You have to get there when they open as there is usually a line. But I did buy 100 rounds of 9mm 115gr FMJ Remington for $27 a couple weeks ago. They have a 3 box limit. I have bought everything there I need except .380 just cant find it. I have bought 9mm,.223,5.56,.22lr,38 special all at regular non inflated prices. They have had 40S&W but I have no need. So get out to your local stores and talk to them find out when they get their trucks in. Good luck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Academy here in Terre Haute get a couple shipments of ammo every week. You have to get there when they open as there is usually a line. But I did buy 100 rounds of 9mm 115gr FMJ Remington for $27 a couple weeks ago. They have a 3 box limit. I have bought everything there I need except .380 just cant find it. I have bought 9mm,.223,5.56,.22lr,38 special all at regular non inflated prices. They have had 40S&W but I have no need. So get out to your local stores and talk to them find out when they get their trucks in. Good luck
    I do believe this whole on line ting has exposed a flaw in human nature. Lazy.
    I was in Bobcat steel a while back and he said people that live a mile away want the ammo shipped to them. WTH people.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I was in Bobcat steel a while back and he said people that live a mile away want the ammo shipped to them. WTH people

You are right on that. There is a store within a few miles that offers ammo dump Saturdays. Up until this past week they've always had both 9 and 556.
    I have not gone because I'm not in urgent need of anything, but I did go this past weekend just to see.
    Stuff is there, it's just in limited quantities. Having a relationship with the owners of the shops helps, as does getting up before 10 AM on Saturday...

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I was in Bobcat steel a while back and he said people that live a mile away want the ammo shipped to them. WTH people.
    Absolutely no one wants to put in the leg work to find the deals. They want to armchair quarterback so to speak. It seems to me us older guys are more apt to go to the local Shops regularly and check on availability and talk to the dealers. Top Guns here in Terre Haute have ammo regularly at decent prices. Nothing too crazy yet.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So? There are ten thousand reasons to oppose Kamala Harris. Her relationship history isn't on the list.

Why are the claims of sex-for-career-advancement always laid against women and never laid against men? (Pun definitely intended.) Why hasn't there been such a claim against, for instance, Jared Kushner? He married Ivanka after Trump's first presidential run, and her family was worth hundreds of millions of dollars more than his. Why was Harris's relationship about advancement and Kushner's wasn't?

If the partner is doing it right, women can enjoy sex too. (I realize that some of the people reading this may just have to take my word on that, but it's true.) Sometimes women choose to have sex just because they want to. Constantly bringing up her relationship history as a negative is going to drive other women away from your positions, not draw women toward your positions.
    Well, first, you're simply in error. The fact that Jared Kushner "married up" has certainly been pointed out by all kinds of observers. Same with John Kerry, heir to the Heinz ketchup empire, when he was running for President. Pointing out non-meritocratic paths of advancement isn't just limited to one gender, and we don't need your permission to bring it up for someone who's a feeble heartbeat away from the "nucular" button.

To be fair, the reason the claim hasn't been made more often against men, is the particular role "sexing up" has played in society. It has been a man's world, at least in the past, and unqualified men have demonstrated the ability to move up the totem pole just fine without extracurricular activities needing to enter into it. So therefore, the "sexing up" trait has been more identified with women, because societally, it's more of a "woman thing." Men didn't "need" it. Similarly, women don't get accused of "mansplaining" things - even though some (eg. Hillary Clinton) have shown themselves more than capable of the behavior - because historically, it's a "man thing."

Second, marrying-up is one thing. "Screwing up" is technically different. (Turns out Kamala Harris both "fornicated-up, then married-up, in that order). Women grasp the difference between the two, and remark upon it when they see it, because in general they don't respect the latter behavior in other women. So your assertion that pointing the behavior out is somehow "driving women away" doesn't really hold water, because not all women engage in or condone "fornicating-up." If I was going to respond with a similar degree of snark to what you employed, I would say if you got around women more, you'd know this and simply need to take my word for it. But I won't go there.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, first, you're simply in error. The fact that Jared Kushner "married up" has certainly been pointed out by all kinds of observers. Same with John Kerry, heir to the Heinz ketchup empire, when he was running for President. Pointing out non-meritocratic paths of advancement isn't just limited to one gender, and we don't need your permission to bring it up for someone who's a feeble heartbeat away from the "nucular" button.

To be fair, the reason the claim hasn't been made more often against men, is the particular role "sexing up" has played in society. It has been a man's world, at least in the past, and unqualified men have demonstrated the ability to move up the totem pole just fine without extracurricular activities needing to enter into it. So therefore, the "sexing up" trait has been more identified with women, because societally, it's more of a "woman thing." Men didn't "need" it. Similarly, women don't get accused of "mansplaining" things - even though some (eg. Hillary Clinton) have shown themselves more than capable of the behavior - because historically, it's a "man thing."

Second, marrying-up is one thing. "Screwing up" is technically different. (Turns out Kamala Harris did both). Women grasp this, and remark upon it when they see it, because in general they don't respect this behavior in other women. If I was going to respond with a similar degree of snark to what you employed, I would say if you got around women more, you'd know this and simply need to take my word for it. But I won't go there.
    Well said. CJ likes to attain the Moral high ground at times. And sometimes he is on point.
    But lets get back to "AMMO" OK

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Absolutely no one wants to put in the leg work to find the deals. They want to armchair quarterback so to speak. It seems to me us older guys are more apt to go to the local Shops regularly and check on availability and talk to the dealers.

That's a pretty wide brush you're painting with. I'm absolutely someone who puts in a lot of work outside of work work and all my other family/personal obligations in the hunt for ammo. I also bought a crap ton online when it was cheap, so high prices are annoying but not detrimental to me. Not everyone was/is so lucky. I think (and am wrong all the time) one of the disconnects between "old" guys and "young(er)" folks is this loyalty - real or perceived - to local gun shops. I'm glad they exist and do still visit a few of them on occasion. I've just never had great luck with local shops, no matter where I lived or how much money I spent or however many times I visited and rubbed elbows with the employees. So, my hour spent online browsing retailers, Reddit, INGO, the AK Files, etc. usually nets far more results than driving to/from the local shop to bask in the glory of a Heritage Rough Rider 22lr or a used camo shotgun with a 78" barrel. Call it hand work versus leg work since I'm not walking into a shop, but it's work nonetheless. And it pays off.

And I'm not going to drive three hours round trip to Terre Haute to save a buck on a box of ammo, just like I'm not going to drive across town to save a penny on a gallon of gas. It's great you can find ammo locally and at a fair price, but that's simply not the case for absolutely everyone.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Don't know about you fellers, but I'm probably gonna use the stimulus for either a laser traning system or gradually over time as I see reasonably priced stuff in stock at my LGS.
    Right now online shopping, including gunbroker, is either marked up 1,000% or just not in stock. And it sounds like online ammo sales will be illegal in the near future.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have probably 4-5 years of normal consumption. Since Covid however my shooting has gone further down, so probably now 10 years worth at current rate. .22 LR i have a lifetime of vigorous shooting.
    I've decided to shoot 22lr exclusively. Still run a magazine worth of drills with my edc. Other than that it's stored up and locked up. Ammunition is becoming gold.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Ammunition is becoming gold.
    Yeah, I'm gonna start investing my cash regularly in it. Don't get me wrong I've got a decent stockpile already.
    I used to buy up bulk when I saw a good deal, but I was selective about the type of ammo. I'm gonna have to just buy stuff that's in stock at this point.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Absolutely no one wants to put in the leg work to find the deals. They want to armchair quarterback so to speak. It seems to me us older guys are more apt to go to the local Shops regularly and check on availability and talk to the dealers. Top Guns here in Terre Haute have ammo regularly at decent prices. Nothing too crazy yet.
    Older guys have more time too (in some ways).

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

My guess is that Covid has more to do with that than anything, for reasons better or worse.

In my recent case of becoming a willing price gougee, I simply wanted to make sure I actually had the s*** at the end of the day. Driving all over town and coming home with nothing, or near enough to it, just wasn't on the menu. Given the continued political climate deteriorating further and faster, I may have to double down on that*. Driving all over town enough times to buy, say, 2000 rounds of quality 5.56 isn't even an option right now. 3 box limit? :laugh:

*and... the price has increased an additional 30% over what I paid for the stuff I just hauled off the porch 3 days ago. Wondering how long before we see 1000% once 46 is seated.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Plan on a lot more fishing and shooting bb's in the back yard this year. Be spending my money on something else. I'm done!

Top Bottom