• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    West Side
    That two separate suppliers are saying they have nearly a billion dollars in orders for ammo both sucks and is quite impressive...

Is that a 'billion dollars in orders for ammo' at the 'normal' price or the 'inflated' price? Could be a difference of 100's of millions of rounds. ;)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Off topic question, does a person have to have an ffl to sell or trade hand loaded ammo to another person if it's a one off thing and not an operating business per se

To the best of my knowledge, you MAY NOT trade/sell handloads .......but you may trade/sell factory loaded ammo and ammo components

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    9mm is over $700 a thousand right now on Gunbroker and I had people dogging me about $450 for a case end of July. I decided to buy it myself from the guy I was selling it for.. you snooze you lose. Unfortunately supply and demand sets the price on everything in [STRIKE]today's world[/STRIKE] human history since the first cavemen traded flint knives for earthen pottery.

FTFY

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Is that a 'billion dollars in orders for ammo' at the 'normal' price or the 'inflated' price? Could be a difference of 100's of millions of rounds. ;)
    In spite of what some might lead you to believe most manufacturers have imposed only minimal price increases, less than $1 a box. I know this because two shops I seen invoices from bear that fact out when they get ammo directly from distributors like RSR and Sports south. Middlemen are the culprits in this market. The shops are being forced to raise prices because they, for the most part, are caught in the same vise we are. To have ammo for their customers they are paying a premium.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Off topic question, does a person have to have an ffl to sell or trade hand loaded ammo to another person if it's a one off thing and not an operating business per se
    Loose lips sink ships.

If you build a gun from a parts kit and sell it, are you a builder, or just a private seller? Selling ammunition for profit requires an FFL, also remember that if your loads damage someone’s property or person, you’re on the hook, and without an FFL and insurance you’re really on the hook.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette

There are LOTS of regulations, permits, and records that are involved with manufacturing ammunition. Not just an FFL, but a manufacturing license. Then you need a boat load of liability insurance. Just not worth it for one off instances.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks guys for answering my off topic question. It was asked with the hopes of maybe finding someone to make me some hunting loads since I can't find them anywhere.

But I've decided I'll add some rifle dies to my reload set up and make em myself

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Two words - free market.

From what I understand, this is not going to end anytime soon. Saw a blog post last week citing the Vista Outdoor Inc. CEO that they have a one YEAR order backlog on ammunition.

Some Vista brands you might be familiar with include: CCI ammo, Federal Premium ammo, American Eagle Ammo, Blazer, Independence, Alliant Powder, etc.).

To quote the Vista CEO, "We currently have over a year's worth of orders for ammunition in excess of $1B." [1]

[1] - https://modernsurvivalblog.com/security/ammunition-shortages-at-least-one-year/

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Most folks wouldn't trust just anyone to use their reloads. Rule of thumb has always been to only trust your own reloads.

That said, I have purchased reloads from known trusted friends. The caliber and components involved were known for being tolerant to variation. Even then, there was a squib in the mix. The seller witnessed the squib at the match we were both shooting and was devastated that it was his fault. We were good though, because I understood the risk involved.

I've also sold reloads, with the disclaimer that they were sold for the components only. Not intended to be shot. A trusted long known friend who knew my seasoned experience, practices and equipment made the purchase. No idea whether the ammo was broken down as directed or shot, but it was my match ammo. It wouldn't have gone into the boxes without very, very detailed inspection and hours on hours of loading the same load without any hint of variation from the equipment.

I would have no trouble trusting a known seasoned rifle reloading INGOer friend to put together some specific hunting loads for me. It might be difficult finding the one to do it though. A lot of folks you might trust wouldn't feel good about loading for others.

Last edited:

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    In spite of what some might lead you to believe most manufacturers have imposed only minimal price increases, less than $1 a box. I know this because two shops I seen invoices from bear that fact out when they get ammo directly from distributors like RSR and Sports south. Middlemen are the culprits in this market. The shops are being forced to raise prices because they, for the most part, are caught in the same vise we are. To have ammo for their customers they are paying a premium.

Middleman, no matter what it is, thats always whos getting you from my experience from guns to cars to computer components, anything and everything it seems really

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Most folks wouldn't trust just anyone to use their reloads. Rule of thumb has always been to only trust your own reloads.

That said, I have purchased reloads from known trusted friends. The caliber and components involved were known for being tolerant to variation. Even then, there was a squib in the mix. The seller witnessed the squib at the match we were both shooting and was devastated that it was his fault. We were good though, because I understood the risk involved.

I've also sold reloads, with the disclaimer that they were sold for the components only. Not intended to be shot. A trusted long known friend who knew my seasoned experience, practices and equipment made the purchase. No idea whether the ammo was broken down as directed or shot, but it was my match ammo. It wouldn't have gone into the boxes without very, very detailed inspection and hours on hours of loading the same load without any hint of variation from the equipment.

I would have no trouble trusting a known seasoned rifle reloading INGOer friend to put together some specific hunting loads for me. It might be difficult finding the one to do it though. A lot of folks you might trust wouldn't feel good about loading for others.

Thanks. I'm just going to do my homework and do it myself.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I trust my reloads. I have a system full of redundancies plus a background in poka yoke, 5S and other manufacturing ideals. But I wouldn't give or sell my reloads to others.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Someone I know very well gave me a box of 9mm (reloads that he made) about 5 years ago as a gift. I know this person very well and the box is sitting in a cabinet, collecting dust....and will continue to do so. I care to much for myself and others around me.

Top Bottom