Anyone else hate but have to buy or waste money on Valentines Day flowers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My wife gave us two beautiful children just over a year ago. If she was a flower person I'd certainly buy her flowers. But she loves tech gadgets like me so I got her an iPhone 7, an iPad Mini, AirPods, and an Apple Watch Series 2, all in the span of a couple of months. I don't think she will miss flowers or chocolates.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I like flowers and plants, but I don't want my husband to spend much on them. It all comes out of the same bank account! I'd rather have a new gun :) but I don't think that's in the cards right now! I always enjoy dinner at a nice restaurant and spending quality time together. No complaining, talking about work, etc!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I buy potted plants at Lowe's the week before. I buy durable goods for V-day. Bunny slippers this year. Bath robe, soft gloves, that sort of thing in the past. If my wife wanted cut flowers, though, that's what she'd get.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I just bought a $7 bouquet of flowers at Kroger. Look just as good, if not better, than the ones at a flower shop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I wasted money on Flowers my spouse would beat me about the head and shoulders with them.
    These false revenue generating Holidays are pure crap.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Double whammy, my wife's birthday is Tuesday.

One year I got my wife a Sig with Rosewood grips. Lasting longer than dead flowers.

Unfortunately Online ordering is easier than looking up a local florist.

You really need to establish a relationship with a brick and mortar flower shop. Heck, even when ordering for out of town funeral or something I always look up the local florist and call directly. Cheaper and better selection with advice from a professional florist.

The one useful thing our cats have ever done is reliably knock over flowers in a vase. My wife declared that we just can't have flowers on the table years ago.

How long did it take you to train your cat?

I made the mistake of making hand-made cards for special occasions early in our marriage (birthday, Valentine's Day, anniversary, formerly Mother's Day, but she's not my mom, so that's now up to the kids). Not computer-made - all hand drawn. Now I can never get out of it. Ever. I also work the candy angle, because my 104 lb wife thinks she's fat, and I get to end up eating most of it.

You are stuck. For our first anniversary I got my wife a diary type book and wrote a nice little summary of our first year. Now I have to write in it every year for the rest of my life. In a few years I may have to add some blank pages.

I keep telling my 108 lb wife that she is going to be talking about how fat she is and some truly fat chick is going to beat the crap out of her.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thank you, I am not inconvenienced. I am grateful to be in an extremely healthy marriage. However, my issue is I would much prefer to give her the cash versus
    buying something that lasts maybe a week. Precedence has shown my wife prefers the flowers though.

Go with something unique instead of flowers. Look around, there's all kinds of memorable things out there. Maybe something like this?
    Products | Earth to Sky Calculus

Of course a nice dinner is always included, any place she wants to eat, including at home without her having to touch a thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I wasted money on Flowers my spouse would beat me about the head and shoulders with them.
    These false revenue generating Holidays are pure crap.

To Clarify, She likes to shop. I like my stuff. We see to it that we both have access to what we want and always what we need.
    I took her out today for lunch to her favorite Mexican joint on a whim. I do this all the time. She is a happy person.
    She takes good care of me. I am a happy person.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Here are the only flowers my wife cares about. And that's fine with me:

Hallmark holidays are a pain in the ass.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I would much prefer to give her the cash versus
    buying something that lasts maybe a week. Precedence has shown my wife prefers the flowers though.

My wife prefers the cash. It's wonderful. She's happiest when, on Valentine's Day, I tell her that I didn't buy anything.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I made a heart shaped picture frame for my wife, but it won't be done by tomorrow, I found out half way through the project that I was completely out of jigsaw blades, and I won't be able to go get any until Wednesday or Thursday. She'll understand, so that makes it worthwhile. I do occasionally, and very randomly, get her a dozen roses, so I like to do something different on other occasions.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Spending the money, although flowers aren't the only part and not going overboard.. It's still a newer thing for us so I kinda have to. Don't mind it at all, she actually likes them and appreciates these things. (Like I said, still new. LOL)

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Our 44th wedding anniversary was just last month so I bought the flowers and card then. Tomorrow I will surprise her with a homemade Lemon Meringue pie.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I told my hubby years ago not to waste money on flowers for me. My first husband used to buy me flowers every time he did something wrong. The bigger the transgression, the bigger the arrangement or plant that was sent.

I think the most memorable flowers I ever got were when we were dating and he came home from work with some wildflowers that he had picked along the road. He saw them while driving and stopped and picked a bunch for me. That took more effort and thought than calling a florist and ordering something. When he bought flowers for his mom before she passed, he always went to the florist and picked out what he wanted in person. When spring gets here and I start planting in my flower beds, he will tell me to go to the greenhouse and buy whatever I want. I'd much rather spend the money he would have spent on fresh cut flowers on perennials or something that will last at least all summer.

I baked his favorite cookies today and made them heart shaped. That's about as fancy as it gets here. I do believe we may be gun shopping at the end of the week though so that works too!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I usually buy her a potted flowering plant of some kind. She enjoys them and then slowly kills them. She's a much better cook than a gardener. :D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hey. For all you romantic saps, you can buy a gold dipped rose for $60 at I hate Steven Singer dot com. I can't imagine much more waste of $60. But hey, if that's what it takes, who am I to judge?

Top Bottom