Anyone else hate but have to buy or waste money on Valentines Day flowers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I ordered flowers for my wife this morning. I'm wondering since she has the day off tomorrow if I'll get some type of home cooked meal or bacon... I WANT GENDER EQUALITY!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I paid the kid to remind me to say "happy valentines's day" before my wife does. Then it occurred to me to wonder how much she paid him.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sam's/Costco have beautiful flowers for very reasonable. Buy a vase, plop the flowers in, and for well under $50 you have a great gift.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In order to do it right you have to have it sent to them at work. It's not really about receiving flowers, it's about her friends and co-workers seeing them sent that makes HER points for having you/us so well trained! Mines pretty practical and would probably be more appreciative of $100 worth of seeds for the garden she'll be putting in in a few months than on flowers that will be dead and nasty in a week.

But then her street cred would suffer due to no flowers delivered to her at work!:laugh:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Going on a marriage retreat with her this weekend, so a card today is it. Said retreat is going to be around ~$300 when all is said and done, I'll call it a win in good husband category.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Send flowers to her work, pretty much guarantees you a fun night. Thankfully, mine works at a hospital, flowers are as easy as calling the gift shop a few days ahead. Way cheaper than florest because of the wifes employee discount.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    In order to do it right you have to have it sent to them at work. It's not really about receiving flowers, it's about her friends and co-workers seeing them sent that makes HER points for having you/us so well trained! Mines pretty practical and would probably be more appreciative of $100 worth of seeds for the garden she'll be putting in in a few months than on flowers that will be dead and nasty in a week.

But then her street cred would suffer due to no flowers delivered to her at work!:laugh:

Well, now that the secret is out, i may as well point out that you should also write sweet, mushy stuff on the card with the flowers. My husband is not very good at the romance or street cred thing. On one rare occasion when he sent flowers to my work, he didn't write anything on the card! A couple of times he has bought grocery store flowers, because his family/friends gave him a hard time. I didn't mind that they were from the grocery store, just that he told me he bought them because he was told to! His sisters insisted that he buy roses for our 25th anniversary. Not that he never does anything nice for me- he does. One year he took me to pick out flowers, but it was late, and we had to go to the grocery store. I ended up with a jade plant that i had for years. I finally killed it, but i have some "starts" from it that seem to be doing ok.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My wife has to teach a painting class tonight so I told her I was going shooting. However, I am showing up to paint with her. The owner of the studio ok'd it and gave me a free pass. So me and Jimmy Johns will be surprising her tonight.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well, after my lament I just got flowers and candy delivered to my office. Sent from my ex-girlfriend with whom I am still friends. Once again, womenz in the office are jealous.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I hate it... I don't hate buying her flowers because I do so frequently all year. But what makes me mad is that what is normally a $20-$30 vase of flowers is now $50-$60 which makes me feel even more so like it's just a big racket... Other than that it's not a huge deal. I limit it to $50 including a card even if that means I just write here a little letter or something. She was shocked today when I showed up with stuff I honestly think. She doesn't expect it, and so I'm fine with doing it, and making her feel special along with everyone else.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Did you really spend $170? The most I've ever spent was $50 from the local florist, now I just buy flowers from Kroger or Wal Mart for $10. If you are going to spend big money you might as well buy jewelry, it has value and will last longer than a week.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    In order to do it right you have to have it sent to them at work. It's not really about receiving flowers, it's about her friends and co-workers seeing them sent...

Well, now that the secret is out, i may as well point out that you should also write sweet, mushy stuff on the card with the flowers.

Even better is when her coworkers want to see what she got. When my wife was working at the hospital with a bunch of rowdy nurses I would send flowers. I would go to the florist a few days before and give them a sealed card I had bought and write a little message for her. With all those nurses around I would send a rather risqué card with a half naked man and a suggestive personal message. No one cared about the flowers, they all wanted to see what was inside the card. Her current position is more professional and she put the kibosh on naughty cards to work.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    In order to do it right you have to have it sent to them at work. It's not really about receiving flowers, it's about her friends and co-workers seeing them sent that makes HER points for having you/us so well trained! . . .

EXACTLY! They have to be delivered, or they don't count. Or so I've been told. By the woman with the opinion that counts.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Also, I think there's a Constitutional requirement for flowers. It is in the Preamble:

". . . to ensure domestic Tranquility, . . ."

And we all want to obey the Constitution, right?

Top Bottom