• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    What is the advantage of this round? If I wanted 7.62 power I'd just shoot my AK. If I wanted more power in an AR platform, I shoot my 458 Socom.
    I'm just not getting it? What does this round do that another round can't?
    I'm honestly asking, because I consider one, but I would like to know what notch it fills that another round can't.
    Looks like the price in ammo really isn't that bad IMO.
    We want to drive the price down on something lets get together and drive the price on 458 down. lol

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    It's definitely on the upper portion of my list of builds. I want one, but I don't reload so it would be difficult and pricey. And I think the advantage bullet is that the round can be suppressed to be very quiet and still pack a large punch.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What is the advantage of this round?

Its not so much the advantage of the round itself as much as the advantage of the round in combination with the 5.56 AR platform.

If I wanted 7.62 power I'd just shoot my AK. If I wanted more power in an AR platform, I shoot my 458 Socom.

7.62 power in a 5.56-sized AR is very desirable to the folks who prefer the AR platform over the AK family of weapons. For folks wanting to be able to switch back-and-forth it just requires another upper. For folks wanting to convert completely it only requires a new barrel.

The 458SOCOM has limited capacity, requires a special BCG, and has much heavier recoil. The .300BLK maintains a 30-round capacity, uses the same 5.56 BCG, and has very little recoil (watch the video above). It also has the ability to be very effectively suppressed.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Its not so much the advantage of the round itself as much as the advantage of the round in combination with the 5.56 AR platform.

7.62 power in a 5.56-sized AR is very desirable to the folks who prefer the AR platform over the AK family of weapons. For folks wanting to be able to switch back-and-forth it just requires another upper. For folks wanting to convert completely it only requires a new barrel.

The 458SOCOM has limited capacity, requires a special BCG, and has much heavier recoil. The .300BLK maintains a 30-round capacity, uses the same 5.56 BCG, and has very little recoil (watch the video above). It also has the ability to be very effectively suppressed.

I guess when it comes to this round, it's what is more important. (no different than anything else I know).

For home defensive, I'll take the 458 with less rounds and more power.
    I would also take the loud bang over a suppressor. If I have more than one intuder in my home, I think the loud "bang" lets the other intruders know they now have one less buddy for the car ride home.

The 300BLK looks like a promising round. It will be intersting to see if it catches on.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't reload so it would be difficult and pricey.

Remington is supposed to be releasing a 125gr FMJ load under the UMC label by the end of the year. In order for the round to really take off, one of the overseas companies (PPU, S&B, Magtech, Wolf, etc) will need to start loading inexpensive supersonic and subsonic ammo. The vast quantities of cheap 5.56 and 7.62x39 available in this country are a BIG hurdle that any new pseudo-military caliber needs to overcome if it wants to be popular.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    As soon as they chamber an AR in that caliber I'm in........ ;)

AR10A4 .243 RIFLE MOLY BBL ASY POST BAN COMPLETE ASSY

AR-10 chambered in .243 Winchester is a fabulous all purpose rifle in part because of the all purpose .243 Winchester cartridge. The .243 Winchester is ultra accurate and outperforms other varmint type ammunition. This round fits the AR-10 platform with no alterations and has much less recoil than the 7.62 NATO.
    Caliber: .243 Winchester
    Barrel: 20" Inch Match Grade Chrome Moly Barrel
    Rifling Twist: 1:10 RH
    Muzzle Device: None
    Front Sight Base: Picatinny Gas Block, Top of gas block is .398 (+/- .010) lower than top of receiver

Your Price: $425.00 EA

B10A4243M2LARGE700.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive thought this caliber was pretty sweet. After seeing a couple of examples a NFAA day, I'm in! Especially since you can shoot the subsonic through a Gemtech multimount. :)

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    2011-09-08_18-03-45_849.jpg

Heres mine, carbine gas system but rifle length hand guards. Just picked up some mk319 mod 0 bullets to try out. Hope the velocity is high enough to be effective. Also found 220gr smk for 240 per k.

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here's mine

Wilson Combat 11.3" bbl and Armalite receivers and parts.

It wears a Leupold MK AR 1-4

The draw to me was the big name subsonic ammo and how quiet it is with a suppressor.

300-blk-sbr-005a.jpg

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have never liked AK's but I have always liked the caliber they shoot, this has on more than one occasion almost tempted me into buying an AK. This new round super sonic seems to be an improvement of the basic 7.62X39 round. This new round paired with an AR-15 sounds like a match made in heaven to me.

Top Bottom