Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    ak for next rifle

Ak 110%

ultra reliable
    hard hitting round
    affordable, there is an ak for every mans budget
    cheap, effective ammo
    Most are semi accurate under 200Yds "You dont need to pick out anyone beyond that, let them pass, you don't want the trouble, even if they are ZOMBIES
    and there are Ak platforms for those 200+ targets toooo!
    easy to clean
    easy to maintain

Post apocalyptic scenario, you need to forge out a new gas tube or receiver cover that got smashed whammo! smack one outta some sheet metal.:):

Not finicky at all with any ammo you slap in it.
    Rugged and rarely susceptible to malfunction, if it all.
    Proven in ALL weather, conditions and situations.
    PSO PSOP optics are indestructible, reliable and crystal, even 30 years later after they been beat up and knocked around.

AK mags are solid not like thin tin foil, dont worry about damaging these,unless you back over them with your truck but then again I bet you can still use em!!

Did I mention they come in plum and mags that come in Bakelite orange:yesway:

Hundreds of accessories that wont break the bank,
    not like buying a 150$ front sight,etc , not for me...

Find one that fits you today!

Last edited:

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    ARs are over rated and over priced. Talk to any vet who's come back from the desert. Everyone I know says screw the M4. I agree. If your gonna drop a crazy amount for an AR, Move up to an M1 instead.:twocents:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I think AR's are nicer to look at and lighter to carry (usually) but AK's are cheaper and I love the 7.62x39 round. I read your reasoning so I say AK.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have both and love both. They are completely different to shoot though. I ended up voting AK due to the reliability but think that for a home defense gun, the AR would probably be better. The two platforms are both great, so why not get both?

painmerchant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    clarksville
    I would definitely go with the AK simply for reliability and knock down power. if you are wanting something you can trick out and make all " hollywood-y" i would go with the ar for its many customization options.

My AK is a wasr-10, and i have had no problems with it what so ever, even after a thousand or more rounds through it.

As for home defense i would get a shotgun and a dog. If you have to fire on an intruder in the middle of the night and you should happen to miss, you don't want the round to leave the room. these are my personal opinions.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    ARs are over rated and over priced. Talk to any vet who's come back from the desert. Everyone I know says screw the M4. I agree. If your gonna drop a crazy amount for an AR, Move up to an M1 instead.:twocents:
    I agree i was all about the AR till after my first tour to the sandbox now i only own one ar (only because i was pushed into a build by my brother) and i own 5 ak actions WASR10, Bulg AK74, Polish AKM 47 underfolder, yugo m76, and a PSL, and soon to be six A Russian aks74u krinkov (currently a parts kit) But i will add out side the miltary i have never seen a jam out of one of my ar's or my firends unless it was a mag problem Cough***ProMag***** however in the Marines if anything gets in them its jamming for sure/ not forget the piece of crap magazines they give us but i was able to get some real hartford,CA mags set to me out there by a company and i thank them for it( and yes i have had to field strip and clean out my action in a firefight) NOT GOOD!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree i was all about the AR till after my first tour to the sandbox now i only own one ar (only because i was pushed into a build by my brother) and i own 5 ak actions WASR10, Bulg AK74, Polish AKM 47 underfolder, yugo m76, and a PSL, and soon to be six A Russian aks74u krinkov (currently a parts kit) But i will add out side the miltary i have never seen a jam out of one of my ar's or my firends unless it was a mag problem Cough***ProMag***** however in the Marines if anything gets in them its jamming for sure/ not forget the piece of crap magazines they give us but i was able to get some real hartford,CA mags set to me out there by a company and i thank them for it( and yes i have had to field strip and clean out my action in a firefight) NOT GOOD!

Though I'm a AR fanboi, my pop shares the same sentiments. He says (during Vietnam) as soon as they came upon some brand new recently "dropped" AKs, they slung their M16s on their backs, and if the CO would allow it, they leave their "standard" arms and take the AKs when gong into the field. And he swears that the AK74 was around back then even though it came out after the conflict. I tell him that he's must of smoked too much wacky tobacky while in country. (we always argue about that).

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Though I'm a AR fanboi, my pop shares the same sentiments. He says (during Vietnam) as soon as they came upon some brand new recently "dropped" AKs, they slung their M16s on their backs, and if the CO would allow it, they leave their "standard" arms and take the AKs when gong into the field. And he swears that the AK74 was around back then even though it came out after the conflict. I tell him that he's must of smoked too much wacky tobacky while in country. (we always argue about that).
    You know that not the only report ive heard of that (im not saying it true or not) but there a lot of those wild tales out there but in my service never once saw a 74 many 47's, vz58's, rpks, a few krinks many 92's,pmk's( my favorite machine gun) but i was disappointed not to see a rpd and dont forget the nagant alot of them out there mainly with PU's mounted on them and i got the chance to fire 3 rockets out of a RPG7 and is all that and more.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    the ar is the safer platform. if you are not putting your ak in safe and keeping your finger off the trigger while moving you will hurt someone with it. without training the fire controls on the ak are quite a bit more difficult to deal with as you need your entile hand to work a stock safety well. a stock ak comes with pistol sights on it. on an ar mbuis and a a2 front sight is a way better sighting system. ak is more difficult to reload under pressure. shot a stock romanian underfolder wasr 10 in a class and it was ok. i would take an ar every time unless all i had was a pistol and i shot the guy with the ak. at that point i would take the ak.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    You can add accessories, modifiy, or up the cost of either. It boils down to this, IMHO,

if you are going to take excessive care and spent a lot of time at the range-AR

if you are going to spray ammo in a country field then throw it in a rack or safe maybe to be broken down after your next shoot-AK.

ARs are tight for the accuracy, AKs are loose for reliability.

Top Bottom