• ...and so much more!
  • Which should be my next gun?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    My two cents worth....

I have both. In fact, I have or have owned several of both. I have had a lot of range training, shooting and experience with both. If my life depended on it, and I had one gun to grab...Im grabbing the AR. The AK is great. Hits hard, follow ups are fast. Accuracy is good. It crunches ammo like dinner! But....It's heavey. It's awkward in quick reloads. Hitting midrange targets with follow up shots is tough. In full auto...real tough! And the US troops don't carry the ammo. In the Zombie world....ammo is important. The lighter the load the easier you move. I like to trade out uppers...caliber and optics. AKs cant do this. The new 300 round is subsonic....ie can be silenced. Only custom shop work can get you a silenced AK...truly silenced. I toss my working AR around and have never misfired. I think within reason you should never have an AR issue.
    Now honestly....Zombies are ripping through my door? I'm not grabbing the AR OR the AK! I'm going for my Beretta 1201Fp police 12ga in semi auto and Im clearing the front porch in 10 seconds. I have always said.....nothing beats a 12 ga in a close quarters situation.
    Likewise, I have Glocks...though if my life depended on it, I'm grabbing the Colt 1911 and making the kill with one shot. So, in my opinion, and I understand it's fully mine.....the best weapon is the weapon that makes you the most deadly when you need it to be!

Last edited:

boomboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Go out and shoot both see which one you like best for yourself. If you dont like it sell and get the other one.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I didn't vote for either.... you may want to consider looking at the vz.58...

Takes the good things mentioned from the AK, makes the rifle (with a milled receiver) 1lb lighter, and the mags are 1/2 the weight of AK mags. With some accessorizing you can have an ambidextrous mag release, and an ambidextrous bolt charging handle. Add to this the fact the rifle is striker fired, and, if you buy a Czechpoint rifle, a CHF chrome-lined barrel, and a starting to blossom after-market, and you have a heck of a carbine.

just my :twocents:

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    I have been wondering about this topic as well. After doing some research (wiki) and reading about a 1000 posts on this site alone, what still confuses me are the AK Variants and the Manufacture representations. Is there a list of AK manufactures and how do they rank out in the field? I get the platform reliability and versatility of the AK, just not all of the hype. My thinking is that not all AK's are created equal. I have seen new Century Arms AK's still in the box and honestly to me, they look cheep and set up to fail. I am gauging this by the rough finish look on the furniture. With all the variants like 74, 74u, 47 polish, russian, yugo, ect on and on. I feel lost is a sea of AK knowledge with zero purchasing decision power.

0scarM!ke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    I wish i had a picture of a dead horse getting the crap stomped out of it with the stocks of the AR and AK...seriously, why would a poll persuade your purchase? Only you can answer what your needs are

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I wish i had a picture of a dead horse getting the crap stomped out of it with the stocks of the AR and AK...seriously, why would a poll persuade your purchase? Only you can answer what your needs are

You mean like this:

:horse:

well, it's not the stocks of AR's and AK's, but you get the picture!:D

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    BOTH!!! Just me of course. It definitely depends on what you have in mind if you just want one or the other. Get both then you wont have to worry about having made the wrong choice. It took me 3 yrs. after I bought my AR to find (and afford) the AK I wanted. Never had to ask myself the age old question...AR or AK again. Takes alot of stress away.:)...good luck

Jarhead105

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Madison
    an AR is a money pit, but its worth it. The real question is "m-16, or m-4". If you want accuracy at longer ranges go with the longer barrel, if you want something to use as a multi-functional weapon's system get the m-4 type model. If your into something cheap, reliable, and that will scare the P*** out of a home intruder, get the AK, and a beyonet.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    you could get a simple ar and not do much with it and it cost not much more than a higher end AK. Doesn't have to be a money pit if you don't want it to be, Either one is a good option but I like the ergonomics of an AR better.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    an AR is a money pit
    I bought a Bushmaster for $650 (brand new a few years ago) and have not spent one penny on it since (as far as upgrading the rifle itself with M4 hardware, etc). I did add an Aimpoint sight. I have purchased quite a few more pistols, though. Throwing money at a rifle doesn't make it better.

What do you want? Survival rifles for when the SHTF or everyday defense? If you are planning for the apocalypse, buy more rifles, preferably the same type. Preferably a heavy caliber like 7.62 NATO. If you are planning on surviving until tomorrow, buy more pistols.

In a SHTF scenario, I like the availability of NATO ammo. Maybe consider an M1A, HK91, or FN/FAL. Break out of the AR/AK mindset.

You asked. :)

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    AR any day - i like to hit what I'm aiming at with 1 shot not hit 1 in 5 - had a AK rugged and reliable yes accurate no

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    Colt just came out with an AR in 308 that will accept a .223 upper as well.....End of discussion! LMAO...a 308, .223.,6.8, 300BO, 300wh, 762x39,.9mm.,40cal, 45 cal and more! wow......just wow.....estimated cost $2100. Im on the list

Top Bottom