Are you going to Friday Night Steel on November 11th?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you coming to FNS on Friday, November 11th?

• Total voters

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    CED has a new timer out, the CED7000PRO, just received it a few days ago. Includes complete scoring system with uploads/downloads. Entire course of fire and each shooters name can be inputted via a web page and loaded tothe timer in minutes. At the end, simply export. It has a complete steel challenge scoring program built in. Check out the videos and match setups on their website. Seems like a pretty simple solution.

I agree, a solution made for our exact purpose. It may be a little more money but less problems.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    CED has a new timer out, the CED7000PRO, just received it a few days ago. Includes complete scoring system with uploads/downloads. Entire course of fire and each shooters name can be inputted via a web page and loaded tothe timer in minutes. At the end, simply export. It has a complete steel challenge scoring program built in. Check out the videos and match setups on their website. Seems like a pretty simple solution.

Sounds interesting; I hadn't seen the new version before. My concerns would be:

1) What if it picks up a shot from another stage (fairly common at FNS); can we edit the time?
    2) Can we use it for only 3 strings, and keep all 3 strings like we do at FNS?

It sounds like an awesome solution; I'm excited to see them in action.

Deputy527

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    I'll gladly meet at the range and bring the timer with me. I can also bring a laptop that we can connect it to and build a few test matches. Maybe sometime this week in the evening?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I am confused, I seem to shoot well in the grand scheme of things, then I look just at the Limited division and realize that i have to cut my time in half to be able to beat the people shooting faster then me.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I am confused, I seem to shoot well in the grand scheme of things, then I look just at the Limited division and realize that i have to cut my time in half to be able to beat the people shooting faster then me.

I finished third in Limited and Chuck was almost half my time. There are some really good shooters that come out.

Edit: Looks like you finished 4th right behind me. So you aren't doing bad at all. Getting to Chuck's time will take a lot of practice and time. If you take him out of the equation 2nd place was 95 seconds, only 20 seconds better than you. That is very doable. 1 second on each run and that's 15 seconds right there. Also, only compare yourself to others in your class.

Last edited:

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist

(I'm sure Chuck is smiling right now) I understand how you feel, I've the past two times I've been in the low/mid 80's and he is still 20 seconds faster than me. Frustrating! Haha. Maybe one of these days..

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Chuck doesn't miss and he snaps his eyes quickly. He doesn't necessarily shoot faster, just fundamentally sound. Figure that for each miss is .5 to 1 second to make up for us average shooters and you see why chuck consistently whoops us. Squad with him sometime, it is humbling

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Chuck doesn't miss and he snaps his eyes quickly. He doesn't necessarily shoot faster, just fundamentally sound. Figure that for each miss is .5 to 1 second to make up for us average shooters and you see why chuck consistently whoops us. Squad with him sometime, it is humbling

Here are my suggestions:

1) Find somebody awesome (National champ, etc.) and copy their gear. Don't use what you "think" will work, use what is proven to work until you're really good. I used an STI Edge from Brazos until I figured out what features actually help me perform better.
    2) Find a load that works 100% and has low recoil. I took my input from Frontsight magazine, where it showed most people at Steel Challenge Nationals used Montana Gold 115 grain bullets in 9mm.
    3) Work out all of the kinks; gun, mags, etc. must run 100%
    4) Practice rapid transitions (think plate rack)
    5) Practice under pressure (bowling pins is great for this)
    6) Don't let the stress pressure scare you; embrace it and use it to fuel yourself to go faster. My epiphany came when I was at a SCSA match and I noticed that my thumbs would actually shake when I was nervous. I no longer try to control it (they shake due to blood pressure when I'm in the surrender position and my hands are right next to my face), I just know that means my body is amped up and I'm ready to go.
    7) Practice on smaller targets than typically used in the match
    8) Practice perfect. If you practice the wrong stuff over and over, you'll never get better. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" and take a class from someone who has proven that they know what they're talking about through a record of success. ACT has some excellent classes locally that can help a lot of people learn more quickly. Think of it as an investment; often a day or two of classes will give people more experience than a year of struggling through matches on your own. I took a Manny Bragg class that was very helpful to me.
    9) Personally, I have to focus on perfection, not just on chasing the guy ahead of me. I think this is more of a personal motivation issue, but it helps me focus on "me", and not on the other person's performance.
    10) Visualization: I try to visualize a stage several times (often with my eyes closed) before a run to make sure I'm 100% confident I know what I'm doing.
    11) Focus on what you want to do, not what you're trying to avoid. If there is a no-shoot right next to a target, I focus on hitting a precise spot (maybe a specific paster, or mark on the target) not on the target I want to miss. Motorcyclists will know this as "target fixation" and it works the same way in shooting.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Here are my suggestions:

1) Find somebody awesome (National champ, etc.) and copy their gear. Don't use what you "think" will work, use what is proven to work until you're really good. I used an STI Edge from Brazos until I figured out what features actually help me perform better.
    2) Find a load that works 100% and has low recoil. I took my input from Frontsight magazine, where it showed most people at Steel Challenge Nationals used Montana Gold 115 grain bullets in 9mm.
    3) Work out all of the kinks; gun, mags, etc. must run 100%
    4) Practice rapid transitions (think plate rack)
    5) Practice under pressure (bowling pins is great for this)
    6) Don't let the stress pressure scare you; embrace it and use it to fuel yourself to go faster. My epiphany came when I was at a SCSA match and I noticed that my thumbs would actually shake when I was nervous. I no longer try to control it (they shake due to blood pressure when I'm in the surrender position and my hands are right next to my face), I just know that means my body is amped up and I'm ready to go.
    7) Practice on smaller targets than typically used in the match
    8) Practice perfect. If you practice the wrong stuff over and over, you'll never get better. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" and take a class from someone who has proven that they know what they're talking about through a record of success. ACT has some excellent classes locally that can help a lot of people learn more quickly. Think of it as an investment; often a day or two of classes will give people more experience than a year of struggling through matches on your own. I took a Manny Bragg class that was very helpful to me.
    9) Personally, I have to focus on perfection, not just on chasing the guy ahead of me. I think this is more of a personal motivation issue, but it helps me focus on "me", and not on the other person's performance.
    10) Visualization: I try to visualize a stage several times (often with my eyes closed) before a run to make sure I'm 100% confident I know what I'm doing.
    11) Focus on what you want to do, not what you're trying to avoid. If there is a no-shoot right next to a target, I focus on hitting a precise spot (maybe a specific paster, or mark on the target) not on the target I want to miss. Motorcyclists will know this as "target fixation" and it works the same way in shooting.

I started spray painting little spots on an IPSC Target (Just as Manny did). It has helped my accuracy tremendously. I am saving up for a few Bobcat Steel targets so I can work on transitioning accurately. I shot Action Pistol yesterday, what a great, humbling experience. For whatever reason, many of us were not able to score as well on our weak side around a barricade. Also, shooting a mover was pretty difficult. 50 yards is strange, especially when your front sight covers half the target :D

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The 12th Commandment...

I also noticed a trend among the following really good shooters:

Kyle Huening
    Matt Roberts
    Max Bedwell

All of them ride motorcycles! I'm not sure how that improves their performance, but for the sake of research, I had do buy one too in order to see if it helped me shoot faster :D

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I also noticed a trend among the following really good shooters:

Kyle Huening
    Matt Roberts
    Max Bedwell

All of them ride motorcycles! I'm not sure how that improves their performance, but for the sake of research, I had do buy one too in order to see if it helped me shoot faster :D

Hopefully I'll be on that list soon! Spent most of my teenage years racing motocross

Edit: Soon meaning distant future. A seemingly very...distant....future. LOL

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Does the size of the motorcycle have anything to do with the caliber of gun you shoot. Im tinking I might need to move off the bicycles if im ever going to move out of .22 shooting. its all starting to make sense to me now.

Top Bottom